Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one?
LA & SF 54 33.33%
NYC 108 66.67%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 06:38 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
That's my point. CSAs are combinations of metropolitan areas.

And you (I assume intentionally) mislabeled the CSAs. You called the San Jose CSA "San Francisco", trying to imply that the SF metropolitan area has that population.
Where did I do that? All of my posts have been CSA numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 06:39 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,421,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Where did I do that? All of my posts have been CSA numbers.
That's my point. You used CSA numbers, then called them metropolitan numbers, then didn't even state the correct CSA name.

You basically took San Jose, added it to San Francisco, then switched the names, and claimed it for the SF metro area.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:00 PM

591 posts, read 782,044 times
out of these two new york. very cool place, but if you want to experience real Americana culture, comon down to Chicago sometime!

Old 12-10-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
You probably prefer the Bay Area to anywhere else in the country but I'm sure you're at the very least happy and living a content life with your family and friends in the Metroplex. You're very fortunate to be happy, not all of us are that lucky.
Everyone needs to find their happy place as we say. The metroplex is a great place, its booming, its clean, theres alot of energy for a largely suburban place. Ive got a few places around the country I could live, but quite a few I would never want to move to. The bay area, northern California in general is hard to beat overall. Ive lived in SoCal too and could easily live there again if the timing was right.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:40 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Get real dude. You saw the numbers; LA metro has more than NY metro. City limits yes you are correct, percentage of population nope, regionally no you are wrong also. I never disputed either, and the only reason I brought the state into it (you already know why) is to establish the cultural difference between the east and west coast in regard to asians. Thats it, pretty simple.
Yea, but why did you think that was reasonable to bring into a conversation about a week long vacation for an one and only chance to visit the US? Were you thinking people should drive out to Westminster or Riverside? Were you thinking maybe a quick trip out to Sacramento would have actually been a worthwhile side trip? How about Fresno? And for what? So you can see a few more east Asians on the street here and there? A bowl of pho somewhere in Orange County? Maybe some newly developed suburban tracts in Riverside that have Asians living in them?

Honestly, I have no idea what kind of itinerary you're thinking when you shoehorn this stuff in, but it seems like this would be a pretty badly mismanaged only visit. I think if that's what you're headed towards, then I can make a better one with better side trips for NYC (I can also make a much better one for LA). I think a trip on the Acela from downtown NYC to downtown Philadelphia would probably hit a lot more spots for tourism than some similar trip out to the Inland Empire--and you'll probably see a denser concentration of Asians on street level since its neighborhoods are simply built more compactly.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 12-10-2013 at 09:55 AM..

Old 12-10-2013, 10:06 AM

^^^I dont know why you keep responding to my posts in this particular thread. I was responding to something else. YOU know how these threads go, particular points get taken out on a tangent. I didnt start that asian food talk btw. This is what happened, its not hard to understand. Each post is in context to the last one responded to.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:51 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, but why did you think that was reasonable to bring into a conversation about a week long vacation for an one and only chance to visit the US? Were you thinking people should drive out to Westminster or Riverside? Were you thinking maybe a quick trip out to Sacramento would have actually been a worthwhile side trip? How about Fresno? And for what? So you can see a few more east Asians on the street here and there? A bowl of pho somewhere in Orange County? Maybe some newly developed suburban tracts in Riverside that have Asians living in them?

Honestly, I have no idea what kind of itinerary you're thinking when you shoehorn this stuff in, but it seems like this would be a pretty badly mismanaged only visit. I think if that's what you're headed towards, then I can make a better one with better side trips for NYC (I can also make a much better one for LA). I think a trip on the Acela from downtown NYC to downtown Philadelphia would probably hit a lot more spots for tourism than some similar trip out to the Inland Empire--and you'll probably see a denser concentration of Asians on street level since its neighborhoods are simply built more compactly.
This has nothing to do with Asians (why are Asian-related threads always so heated?) but an Amtrak ride from Downtown Los Angeles to Downtown San Diego would also hit a lot of tourist areas (including some great coastal views in northern SD County). I think people would be surprised at how much of Southern California can be seen without a car.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:59 PM

555 posts, read 862,229 times
I wouldnt choose either one. Southwest US all the way.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:
^^^I dont know why you keep responding to my posts in this particular thread. I was responding to something else. YOU know how these threads go, particular points get taken out on a tangent. I didnt start that asian food talk btw. This is what happened, its not hard to understand. Each post is in context to the last one responded to.
I have no idea why you're responding at all. I haven't seen a single reaonsable argument for anything in regards to this topic but just a continuous stream of misplaced boosterism.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
This has nothing to do with Asians (why are Asian-related threads always so heated?) but an Amtrak ride from Downtown Los Angeles to Downtown San Diego would also hit a lot of tourist areas (including some great coastal views in northern SD County). I think people would be surprised at how much of Southern California can be seen without a car.
Yea, that makes a lot more sense. You can go to Balboa Park and see a good bit of San Diego. I wouldn't suggest it over NYC with a possible side trip to Philadelphia, but it seems like a reasonably fun trip.

What I feel about this whole topic is that if someone is already fixated on California or specific parts of the Bay Area or Los Angeles or if they are doing this over winter and hate cold weather (and a possible coincidence with the holiday season for NYC does not do it for them), have a huge Disney interest (which does exist) or have a lot more family and friends in California who can show them around then go with SF and LA. Otherwise NYC will be the better vacation. This may change drastically as LA changes at a fast rate.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 12-10-2013 at 11:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City