Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2013, 04:34 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,086,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
Can't believe people are putting New Orleans above Miami. Miami has a MUCH higher density and is behind only New York and Chicago for skyline.

Whoever says anything but Miami is clueless.
Could the same be said of you and your knowledge of New Orleans?

Old 12-12-2013, 04:36 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Baltimore MD

East - West
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=P...p=1&sz=13&z=13

North - South
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=S...p=0&sz=15&z=15

This is the urban core of Baltimore. It is mainly single family homes.
Attached single family housing. And rowhouses and multi-story apartments are equally urban forms. A city with a smaller urban footprint but higher population density within the "urban zone" may be arguably more urban, but you can equally argue the city which has a higher percentage of land dedicated to urban housing is in fact the more urban one.

Old 12-12-2013, 04:45 PM

639 posts, read 821,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
Can't believe people are putting New Orleans above Miami. Miami has a MUCH higher density and is behind only New York and Chicago for skyline.

Whoever says anything but Miami is clueless.
Here you go!! If the topic was on SKYLINES then yes Miami would beat out New Orleans but that's not the topic. Once again just because a city has more skycrapers than another city doesn't make it MORE URBAN than that city. The topic is URBANITY and while Miami Beach is pretty URBAN Miami as a WHOLE is NOT more Urban than New Orleans.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:12 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Not even still. Houston has yet to learn the true definition of urbanity and how it works. The city is still into believing building a loft with no street retail and small sidewalks equal urban.

My small hometown of Waco will be more urban in Houston if this city doesn't get it together.

I'm not even going to get started on the overrating of Miami [and Miami Beach, which I don't think was all that urban]. Dense, but no so much urban.

I give it to New Orleans.
Miami Beach is urban based on every metric of urbanity.

Walkable
Dense
Heavy foot-traffic
street-level retail

I get that the city of Miami is overrated when it comes to urbanity, but Miami Beach has a legit argument for being the most urban city in the South. It beats out nearly every city, save for NO on every metric. Oh well. we've been doing this same song and dance on C-D for at least 5yrs. lol

Old 12-12-2013, 05:15 PM

416 posts, read 581,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
What do you mean Atlanta does not have an "urban core"?It most certainly does.Downtown for one.
Just what I said. A downtown hardly constitutes an urban core. Every major city in the U.S. has a downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
More people are moving into the City of Atlanta at a much faster rate than Houston.A large part of that is because of MARTA and its accesibilty to places in the city.Capacity has a lot to do with that.
Not quite: City Mayors: Fastest growing US cities

Old 12-12-2013, 05:21 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_96 View Post
Yes, Miami Beach is urban as is downtown Miami, but much of the rest of Miami is mainly long streets and strip malls. Hardly urban and walkable. Have you ever tried to walk along U.S. 1/South Dixie Hwy? Not fun!
The city of Miami is spotty, but you can't ignore Little Havana. Or coconut grove, Or the design district. Here's the difference between Miami city and the others. Miami already has the density in-place to build the proper infrastructure around it. The strip mall doesn't automatically make a place non-urban. It get's extremely suburban west of Little Havana, and yes, around South Dixie. But then again, if we can exclude Miami Beach from Miami, then it isn't fair to include extremely suburban places like Tamiami, and what not, as part of Miami also. Seems like folks want to include all those gated communities west of 95 as part of Miami, but exclude Miami Beach.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:29 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,604,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon504 View Post
Here you go!! If the topic was on SKYLINES then yes Miami would beat out New Orleans but that's not the topic. Once again just because a city has more skycrapers than another city doesn't make it MORE URBAN than that city. The topic is URBANITY and while Miami Beach is pretty URBAN Miami as a WHOLE is NOT more Urban than New Orleans.
Okay, not even counting points for skyline, how can you honestly say a city with not even 2k people per square mile, be more urban than one with over 12k per square mile? Theres no debate. Your opinion is just that, an opinion. When looking at cold hard FACTS, Miami blows away New Orleans, as a WHOLE.

The OP said density is a factor, Not what you feel. I could "feel" that Phoenix is more urban than either one, but we both know that would just be conjecture and outright ridiculous.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:31 PM

416 posts, read 581,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
It's not more walkable than Atlanta. Trust me. Houston has no neighborhood that can stand up to the residentially dense Midtown neighborhood.
Overall, Atlanta has lower population density.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
You've clearly never been to Atlanta based on the way you're talking.
I have lived in both Houston and Atlanta. How about you?

Old 12-12-2013, 06:01 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,604,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Could the same be said of you and your knowledge of New Orleans?
You tell me. How is New Orleans w/ 2k people per square mile, more urban than a city w/ 12k? If people don't make an urban environment, then what does?

Old 12-12-2013, 06:07 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Attached single family housing. And rowhouses and multi-story apartments are equally urban forms. A city with a smaller urban footprint but higher population density within the "urban zone" may be arguably more urban, but you can equally argue the city which has a higher percentage of land dedicated to urban housing is in fact the more urban one.

Which would be D.C.

I don't think you can find a stretch in Baltimore as long and urban as this north-south and east-west route below. If you can, I will stand corrected.

North - South (7.7 miles)
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=G...ltm&via=1&z=13

East - West (6.5 miles)
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=M...ltm&via=1&z=14
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City