Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2014, 09:10 PM

66 posts, read 93,979 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate and my first pick is North Carolina, mostly the Chapel hill/Cary area(I heard the schools are better there) However a friend recently moved to VA and she loves it. (however she moved recently so she can't tell me much)
I want to know mostly about schools,jobs,crime rate and housing. And yes I have research here and in Google and all I find are post from 2009-2011. I want to know how these states compare recently not years ago.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 05:40 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,319,858 times
Where in Virginia are you planning to look? That makes the comparison between Chapel Hill/Cary much easier.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:47 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,479,779 times
Please be specific about the school system you are looking at in NC.

Cary does not have its own school system. It is part of the larger county-wide school system: Wake County Public Schools.

In fact, most schools in NC are divided by counties with a handful of exceptions. Chapel Hill and Carrboro share one school system, separate and apart from Orange County. The Chapel Hill/Carrboro school system is very competitive and very highly-rated.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
Where in Virginia are you planning to look? That makes the comparison between Chapel Hill/Cary much easier.
I am looking at Winchester, that's the area my friend moved to.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post
Please be specific about the school system you are looking at in NC.

Cary does not have its own school system. It is part of the larger county-wide school system: Wake County Public Schools.

In fact, most schools in NC are divided by counties with a handful of exceptions. Chapel Hill and Carrboro share one school system, separate and apart from Orange County. The Chapel Hill/Carrboro school system is very competitive and very highly-rated.
See I don't know anything about schools and all these districts and how they are separated it's confusing to me. I have a friend who suggested the Cary/chappel hill area schools. Where exactly? Im not sure she just mention that area so I assumed Cary/Chappell hill was a school district separated from the rest.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:16 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,479,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpinky223 View Post
See I don't know anything about schools and all these districts and how they are separated it's confusing to me. I have a friend who suggested the Cary/chappel hill area schools. Where exactly? Im not sure she just mention that area so I assumed Cary/Chappell hill was a school district separated from the rest.
I wasn't knocking you for not knowing. I just wanted to point out that Cary and Chapel Hill are in completely different counties (thus, completely different school systems) and I wanted to point out the distinction to you so that you don't end up somewhere where you don't want to be.

With that having been said, Cary and Chapel Hill are both upper-middle class enclaves, but the community feel is different. Cary is more of a well-heeled suburb to Raleigh, replete with HOAs and large housing lots and a spread-out feel.

By contrast, Chapel Hill (and the town next door, Carrboro) are more compact, and more academic, upper-middle class in a Berkeley kind of way. Chapel Hill and Carrboro have their own school system apart from the rest of the county. It is more liberal, there's free bus service, and people are what I would describe as "rich liberals".

Just want to make sure that you have an idea of what sets each place apart before you commit to a move.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:14 PM

114 posts, read 171,039 times
If it were between the RT and winchester, there's no way winchester would be the better of the two. If it were between the RT and NoVa, you would find positives in both (RT is cheaper, less crowded; NoVa has better jobs, much more expensive, isn't just a suburban type area). If it were between Chapel Hill and Charlottesville.. well that's a tough one.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post
I wasn't knocking you for not knowing. I just wanted to point out that Cary and Chapel Hill are in completely different counties (thus, completely different school systems) and I wanted to point out the distinction to you so that you don't end up somewhere where you don't want to be.

With that having been said, Cary and Chapel Hill are both upper-middle class enclaves, but the community feel is different. Cary is more of a well-heeled suburb to Raleigh, replete with HOAs and large housing lots and a spread-out feel.

By contrast, Chapel Hill (and the town next door, Carrboro) are more compact, and more academic, upper-middle class in a Berkeley kind of way. Chapel Hill and Carrboro have their own school system apart from the rest of the county. It is more liberal, there's free bus service, and people are what I would describe as "rich liberals".

Just want to make sure that you have an idea of what sets each place apart before you commit to a move.
Oh I know u weren't, thank you so much for explaining it to me.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:46 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,654,825 times
The Cary/Apex/Chapel Hill area is probably a better bet than Winchester, VA. Winchester, while by no means remote, is relatively isolated from the DC/NOVA metro area and has a much stronger small town atmosphere (because it is). Depending on your needs, it could be the better choice. However, I'm certain securing gainful employment either in or within reasonable driving distance from Winchester would be much more difficult than in the RT regardless of your career, as it's rather removed from the population and employment centers of NOVA. Furthermore, the RT is one of the fastest growing metro areas in the country in terms of both population and economic growth. It's also one of the safest and best educated metro areas in the entire country in addition to being new, clean, and very family-friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City