Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best rap/hip-hop scene?
Atlanta 152 42.58%
New York 127 35.57%
Los Angeles 86 24.09%
Chicago 44 12.32%
Toronto 16 4.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 06:31 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,207,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
What has the Atlanta rap scene invented besides trap music? Club music is everywhere. People are sippin syrup everywhere now.
Not here in the DMV, we don't mess with syrup. Can't comment on other cities/regions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 06:39 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Not here in the DMV, we don't mess with syrup. Can't comment on other cities/regions.
It's not really that big anywhere but Houston and honestly, it's stupid anyway. Crap killed a couple of their people in the scene including one of the the most iconic and rappers still glorified it.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:44 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Nah and mainstream big sean is hit and miss. underground big sean>>>>>>>>>>>>mainstream big sean.
Eh, I think Drake and Nicki are immensely talented, and deserve all the success they've gotten. Two great lyricists who have revolutionized the game by actually being able to carry a tune (sorry, Ja). Yea, they make a lot of commercial crap, but they still drop gems too, despite not being underground. If Drake was still underground, 0-100 would still be his sound--they haven't lost touch.

And as far as underground, for the most part, I hate underground rappers. There's usually a REASON why they're still underground. Lyrics can only get you so far if your beats are garbage, your hooks suck, and you don't understand how to make a hit. Yea, there's industry politics, but for the most part, people stuck in the underground deserve to be there. Though I will agree that rappers good enough to make it can lose their hunger once they've arrived. Not too sure on your Big Sean example, but I'll take your word. I still think, though, the 4 names I've mentioned are still very good even as mainstream rappers.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:
It's not really that big anywhere but Houston and honestly, it's stupid anyway. Crap killed a couple of their people in the scene including one of the the most iconic and rappers still glorified it.
Yeah, it's only a matter of time before an iconic rapper chokes on that molly too smh.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Eh, I think Drake and Nicki are immensely talented, and deserve all the success they've gotten. Two great lyricists who have revolutionized the game by actually being able to carry a tune (sorry, Ja). Yea, they make a lot of commercial crap, but they still drop gems too, despite not being underground. If Drake was still underground, 0-100 would still be his sound--they haven't lost touch.

And as far as underground, for the most part, I hate underground rappers. There's usually a REASON why they're still underground. Lyrics can only get you so far if your beats are garbage, your hooks suck, and you don't understand how to make a hit. Yea, there's industry politics, but for the most part, people stuck in the underground deserve to be there. Though I will agree that rappers good enough to make it can lose their hunger once they've arrived. Not too sure on your Big Sean example, but I'll take your word. I still think, though, the 4 names I've mentioned are still very good even as mainstream rappers.
Meek Mill would like a few words with you LOL I'm not ashamed to admit I'm a Drake fan, and 0 to 100 definitely had some hunger in it...Felt like listening to 2007/2008 Drake all over again!

Old 07-28-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Meek Mill would like a few words with you LOL I'm not ashamed to admit I'm a Drake fan, and 0 to 100 definitely had some hunger in it...Felt like listening to 2007/2008 Drake all over again!
Lol yea, I knew Meek would make his way in to the conversation! Hopefully, this will be more interesting/longer than Common/Drake was (looove stay scheming still)! I like Meek, too, but I find he only works in small doses. Good rapper, but I feel he's always shouting or mumbling--no in between. It's no coincidence his biggest hits are all straight club bangers where he's shouting lol.

And yea to that on 0-100! Definitely felt the hunger!

Old 07-28-2015, 07:09 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post

If Nicki and Drake are so called lyricists today than yeah, mainstream rappers today do suck. And most underground rappers just simply don't like dealing with the politics in the industry.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:36 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,991,007 times
Quote:
If Nicki and Drake are so called lyricists today than yeah, mainstream rappers today do suck. And most underground rappers just simply don't like dealing with the politics in the industry.
I think there is a good in between in rap today. Yes, the most mainstream artist beyond a few a pretty terrible, there are still great artist who I wouldn't consider underground who are great rappers. There are many in the LA area who are very popular but wouldn't consider pop or underground. (Earl, Vince, Dom, Nipssey) etc.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I find both Drake and Nicki still lyrical--"commercial" (re: good beats and hooks with bar structure) but still lyrical.

And I don't agree that most underground rappers like to stay that way. Let's face it: everybody wants success. It's just a lot of underground rappers are so stubborn, they don't want to fix what's wrong. Or even more likely, they simply can't. So I guess what happens is we get "mainstream" underground rappers who will never really "blow". They'll get a feature with somebody who's hot, if they're lucky, and they'll sell out small venues, but that's about it. You think Action Bronson or Termanalogy will ever really blow? Lol. Guys like this always start off hot with great buzz off one or two mixtapes, fail to make a hit, and they're stuck on the mixtape circuit for life as their music gets ****ty. Like it or not, the industry is a big part of the game.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:50 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,209 times
Early Drake (before the fame)... The Drake from Myspace. That's the Drake I like. Don't get me wrong, I like this new Drake, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City