Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More Southern State
Texas 118 53.39%
Florida 103 46.61%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 02:27 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,489,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
But, you can't be that close to Arkansas and Louisiana without being southern either. LOL!

Lots of southern cities/states have tons of transplants, but people aren't trying to remove them from the South like they try to do with Florida.
Well, Alabama/Georgia is much more southern than Louisiana/Arkansas in my book, but I see your point.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:50 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,030,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Well, Alabama/Georgia is much more southern than Louisiana/Arkansas in my book, but I see your point.
Really? Maybe the perception is that AL/GA are more southern, but I don't think they are in reality. There are all 4 very southern states though. TX and FL are definitely southern states too.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:23 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josieweathernere0er90re0 View Post
This poll is nonsense. If you asked people in real life if Texas is southern culturally most americans would say YES If you polled every PERSON IN THE US,the vast majority would call Texas southern.

Texas as a whole has less northeastern transplants and less midwest transplants percentage wise than North Carolina,South Carolina,Flarida, Virginia and Georgia. Dallas and Houston have way more native texans (and less northeast transplants percentage wise) living in them than Charlotte,Raleigh,Orlando,Miami,Tampa,Ocala,Jackso nville,Atlanta,Greenville NC,Charleston SC,Columbia SC,Memphis,New Orleans,Asheville,Memphis,Baton Rogue,Lawton Oklahoma,Fayetteville Arkansas,Hampton Roads does. The Dallas-Houston combined area has less northeasterners living there than eastern West Virginia does too.

Mike is as southern as any southerner Survivor has had.

TEXAS IS A FULLY SOUTHERN STATE CULTURALLY
You do realize there is a such place called the West Coast, right? Do you think all those places you named have more West Coast transplants than Houston,Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio? And I think you are underestimating how many Midwesterners there actually is in Texas as well.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:27 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
Florida.

FLA and particularly MIA has always prided itself on being "Down Bottom" the FURTHEST south. Ive actually witness a riot break out in a club in Jacksonville over them "Jacksonvilleans?" not being from "the real bottom" ..."the real FLA"
I missed this post but this is real. Folks down in Flawda never considered themselves anything but Southerners. Black folks that is. Like I said earlier, Black folks in Miami have more in common with New Orleans and Atlanta than they do with Philadelphia and New York City.

Last edited by Spade; 05-05-2015 at 05:36 PM..

Old 05-05-2015, 05:33 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I missed this post but this is real. Folks down in the Flawda never considered themselves anything but Southerners. Black folks that is. Like I said earlier, Black folks in Miami have more in common with New Orleans and Atlanta than they do with Philadelphia and New York City.
The Black American demographic is one of the most ignored demographics in South Florida. People act like everyone in SoFla is either Latin or a Northern transplant.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:55 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,655,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
The Black American demographic is one of the most ignored demographics in South Florida. People act like everyone in SoFla is either Latin or a Northern transplant.
Probably because no one moving to South Florida from New York, Cuba, or Argentina has intentions of living in heavily black areas such as Lauderhill, Miami Gardens, or Riviera Beach.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:08 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,030,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Probably because no one moving to South Florida from New York, Cuba, or Argentina has intentions of living in heavily black areas such as Lauderhill, Miami Gardens, or Riviera Beach.
NO ONE? Are you sure? I would need to see a source for this...

Old 05-05-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
You're right. But my point was, there's still a heavy demographic of Black Southerners who reside in South Florida, and their presence is largely ignored. Pretty disappointing if you ask me. Black South Floridians have an interesting history. Luckily there are efforts at making areas like Overtown and Liberty City into history oriented tourist districts. But I'm highly skeptical.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
NO ONE? Are you sure? I would need to see a source for this...
I know West Miramar and Eastern Miami Gardens both have a decent Black/West Indian Middle-Class. Lauderhill has been making efforts to bring a Jamaican-American cultural center. Little Haiti is currently in the process of heavy gentrification, while still maintaining the culture.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:14 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,465,362 times
Northern Florida is very southern and so is East Texas the rest of Texas and Florida has a varied culture that is a mix of Southern and other cultures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City