Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better for Asians
New York City (and its metro area) 33 57.89%
Hawaii 24 42.11%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 10:11 PM

136 posts, read 329,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjohnyang View Post
Who cares about how fast the Asian population here is growing? There are plenty of places here that have rapidly growing Asian communities, plus you also have the established populations in Milpitas, Fremont, Cupertino, Mountain View, Daly City, etc. You're also wrong about the "LA being a world city" part. I think the word you're looking for is suburb. By the way, what do you mean by "known for in the real world"? Do you really think that San Francisco is only known for those two things? People don't think about the hills, the cable cars, Chinatown, the hippie and countercultural movements, the Castro, or anything else?Sure, LA does have a presence in the things mentioned but what city doesn't? The Bay Area still has more Asians than Greater Los Angeles while having HALF the population. Please stop turning these threads into blatantly ignorant comments thrown at SF. This is about NY and Hawaii, NOWHERE AND NO ONE ELSE.
Most of these posts were moved here from another thread that was about LA versus SF. It got off topic and turned into NY versus Hawaii. My opinion was that Hawaii and SF are more Asian-friendly than LA and NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 10:16 PM

474 posts, read 530,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny08 View Post
Most of these posts were moved here from another thread that was about LA versus SF. It got off topic and turned into NY versus Hawaii. My opinion was that Hawaii and SF are more Asian-friendly than LA and NY.
How'd that happen? I'd agree though. The percentages in Hawaii and SF are higher, with only NY having more Asians than SF (assuming we're using CSAs).

Old 02-17-2014, 10:21 PM

^ Basically I mentioned Hawaii (higher percentage of Asians) and NYC (larger Asian population) to argue that percentage is more meaningful than total number and used the same argument for why I put SF Bay Area ahead of LA. Then the thread got off topic and I guess a moderator moved the posts to a new thread.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:23 PM

40 posts, read 169,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjohnyang View Post
Who cares about how fast the Asian population here is growing? There are plenty of places here that have rapidly growing Asian communities, plus you also have the established populations in Milpitas, Fremont, Cupertino, Mountain View, Daly City, etc. You're also wrong about the "LA being a world city" part. I think the word you're looking for is suburb. By the way, what do you mean by "known for in the real world"? Do you really think that San Francisco is only known for those two things? People don't think about the hills, the cable cars, Chinatown, the hippie and countercultural movements, the Castro, or anything else?Sure, LA does have a presence in the things mentioned but what city doesn't? The Bay Area still has more Asians than Greater Los Angeles while having HALF the population. Please stop turning these threads into blatantly ignorant comments thrown at SF. This is about NY and Hawaii, NOWHERE AND NO ONE ELSE.
Uhhh all the posts got moved from the LA vs SF thread to this one. And just for clarification, greater LA has more Asians than SF Bay Area in raw number as well. Greater LA has 2.2 million Asians while SF Bay has around 1.7 million Asians.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:32 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,705,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny08 View Post
to argue that percentage is more meaningful than total number and used the same argument for why I put SF Bay Area ahead of LA.
In real life, total numbers are much more important. You can carve out an area in NYC with population the size of Hawaii which will be literally 100% Asian, more Asian percentage wise than Tokyo or Hong Kong. With greater raw number of people comes more amenities from food to shopping to cultural institutions. For example, even though Hawaii might have higher percentage of Japanese than NYC, the amount of Japanese goods sold in Hawaii is severely lacking compared to NYC. Heck, even the maid cafe in Hawaii looks like a glorified American fast food joint.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:57 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
In real life, total numbers are much more important. You can carve out an area in NYC with population the size of Hawaii which will be literally 100% Asian, more Asian percentage wise than Tokyo or Hong Kong. With greater raw number of people comes more amenities from food to shopping to cultural institutions. For example, even though Hawaii might have higher percentage of Japanese than NYC, the amount of Japanese goods sold in Hawaii is severely lacking compared to NYC. Heck, even the maid cafe in Hawaii looks like a glorified American fast food joint.
What area of NYC has 1.4 million Asians? So basically you have to confine yourself to certain sections of NYC for Asian culture it seems. Unlike Hawaii where Asian culture permeates every part of the state and society. Percentages do matter because once you leave those ethnic enclaves in NYC, there really isn't anything Asian about the place at all.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I don't understand this argument. Why is a total number more important? Hawaii has several hundreds of thousands of Asians and even someone living in Hawaii for decades will only meet a small fraction of those. Most people spend a good part of their daily life in school or work, and on average schools and work environments in Hawaii have a much higher percentage of Asians. For someone who doesn't want to feel like a minority, what good is being in NYC with over a million Asians when you spend most of your day in an office surrounded by mostly non-Asians? I'm not saying minorities can't feel comfortable, but I think being part of a well-represented group generally helps.

Again, I admit Hawaii has less diversity of Asian ethincities, so I'm referring primarily to East Asians (Japanese, Chinese, Korean) and Filipinos. I probably should've mentioned that earlier.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:37 AM

39 posts, read 118,273 times
I would say NYC and its metro area. This area is heavily populated by Asians, especially towns like Palisades Park and Paramus on the Jersey side. There are area entire areas that have heavy Korean influence, to the point where the stores and churches are in Korean without an English translation. I have a few Asian friends, some speak Chinese, some Korean, but its clear that they came from a predominantly Asian community, and going "outside their community" didn't really happen for them until they went to college.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:24 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
What area of NYC has 1.4 million Asians? So basically you have to confine yourself to certain sections of NYC for Asian culture it seems. Unlike Hawaii where Asian culture permeates every part of the state and society. Percentages do matter because once you leave those ethnic enclaves in NYC, there really isn't anything Asian about the place at all.
That is not true, you can find Asian culture allover the place. The flagship branch of Kinokuniya and only store in U.S. is in Midtown by Bryant Park, just for example. Not all asians live in Chinatowns..

I'm not sure this whole spending a day in an office or insert (x) surrounding by non asians is true. There are asians in every crevice of NYC.

^^^I encounter significantly more asians in NYC than I did living in the Bay Area and it feels significantly more diverse especially in the downtown areas than SF's downtown.

Hawaii, not sure, never been. But the whole SF being more Asian friendly I would have to guess is definitely a false assumption.

Not sure why people are saying Asians are not well represented or would feel like these "minorities" in NYC, they are well represented actually. NYC has the most Indians outside of Asia, the most Chinese out of Asia, 15% of the United States Koreans. I'm sure there are china towns (6 of them) and little indias, but it doesn't mean they are confined to this. There is really no "dominant" culture in NYC, so really everybody is a "minority"

Last edited by grapico; 02-20-2014 at 10:37 AM..

Old 02-20-2014, 10:50 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
That is not true, you can find Asian culture allover the place. The flagship branch of Kinokuniya and only store in U.S. is in Midtown by Bryant Park, just for example. Not all asians live in Chinatowns..

I'm not sure this whole spending a day in an office or insert (x) surrounding by non asians is true. There are asians in every crevice of NYC.

^^^I encounter significantly more asians in NYC than I did living in the Bay Area and it feels significantly more diverse especially in the downtown areas than SF's downtown.

Hawaii, not sure, never been. But the whole SF being more Asian friendly I would have to guess is definitely a false assumption.

Not sure why people are saying Asians are not well represented or would feel like these "minorities" in NYC, they are well represented actually. NYC has the most Indians outside of Asia, the most Chinese out of Asia, 15% of the United States Koreans. I'm sure there are china towns (6 of them) and little indias, but it doesn't mean they are confined to this. There is really no "dominant" culture in NYC, so really everybody is a "minority"
I'm sure you can find sushi restaurants all over the place in NYC too, even in the suburbs but that's not really what I'm talking about. BTW Kinokuniya also has stores in Chicago, SF, LA, San Jose, Costa Mesa, Seattle, and Portland.

Wait, so you encounter more Asians on a daily basis living in NYC than Sonoma County? LOL.

Yes you see Asians all over the place in NYC but it's not the same as Hawaii or Honolulu and you really don't understand that because you've never been to Hawaii so I don't really get why you are so adamant in trying to equate them. Asians don't permeate every aspect of society and culture in NYC to the extent they do in Hawaii. It's obvious to anyone whose been to both places the difference in Asian culture between the places.

The fact that you feel everyone is a "minority" in NYC even exemplifies how Asians are so much more dominant in Hawaii. They aren't a minority, they are the MAJORITY and it's obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City