Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 09:59 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,141,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lunatic & A Therapist View Post
New Orleans for "business trips"? Really? I'm always sent to cities known for doing business like Dallas, Chicago, NY, LA, London, etc....
What a coincidence. So am I. I've been to all those places and more. Funny how I haven't met you in any of those locales. Oh, wait, were you the rude guy who kept talking about himself nonstop in the airport bar in Frankfurt? I thought the waitress was going to empty a stein over your head.

Now that we've gotten all that pointless self-congratulation out of the way, New Orleans does indeed have a business community. Only it's not what it once was.

Last edited by cpg35223; 02-25-2014 at 10:19 AM..

Old 02-25-2014, 10:05 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,141,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
What places have you seen? What exactly was dirty? There are bad areas and immaculate areas. The people that stayed, likely stayed because they had to, not because of the government. Can't make people leave. By the time a mandatory evacuation was issued, it was too late. And it wasn't even a strong storm once it made landfall. It was the Corps levee's which failed after the storm passed. It wasn't that strong when it was approaching and we've hunkered down through plenty of them. It was normal for most until it was finally bumped up to Cat 5.

If nothing ever gets done, then we wouldn't have 15+ large residential projects (renovations, new construction) taking place with at least 20 in the pipeline. That's just downtown. The Rampart streetcar will begin construction soon and the city is again looking at tearing down the Claiborne overpass. There's a brand new airport being built as well. Both New Orleans and Baton Rouge are taking a commuter rail more seriously.

If you think nothing get's done then you must have some blindfolds on.
What? You want an itemized list? You name it, I've been there. Downtown, French Quarter, Ninth Ward, Metairie, and the list goes on and on. I've been there dozens of times on business, for pleasure, and as a volunteer performing part cleanup after Katrina. And, no, Nagin was practically begged by both the state government and FEMA to issue evacuation orders days and days prior to landfall. He didn't and we saw what happened.

Oh, sure, there are some construction projects going on. But the pace of business in New Orleans is glacial in nature. And, at this time of year, it's almost impossible to get anything done.

But here's the thing. The entire point of this thread is cities that are overrated. In many ways, New Orleans is nice. A great place to spend a lazy weekend. But it really doesn't live up to its self-image.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:20 AM

215 posts, read 378,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
What a coincidence. So am I. I've been to all those places and more. Funny how I haven't met you in any of those locales. Oh, wait, were you the rude guy who kept talking about himself nonstop in the airport bar in Frankfurt? I thought the waitress was going to empty a stein over your head.

Now that we've gotten all that self-congratulation out of the way, New Orleans does indeed have a business community. Only it's not what it once was.
Are you sure New Orleans has a business community? I'm counting their Fortune 500 companies........

Old 02-25-2014, 10:28 AM

1,901 posts, read 3,084,577 times
Quote:
Are you sure New Orleans has a business community? I'm counting their Fortune 500 companies........
As someone who recently moved a small business here along with several others who have, I always laugh when posters mention the lack of F500's here. Its just so trivial in respect to business that actually happens here on a daily basis...

Old 02-25-2014, 10:31 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,799,060 times
Overrated: Houston, Dallas, Miami and Atlanta

Underrated: Richmond, Charleston, Memphis, Savannah, Gulf Coast of Florida

Old 02-25-2014, 12:14 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,006,539 times
Houston is not overrated, it's just been over hyped. Its a greatest city for what it offers.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:44 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
'You are the biggest snob and its obvious you like being that way.lol

Old 02-25-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
New Orleans is a unique city with a unique atmosphere, culture and architecture. Most southern cities chose to develop through that cheesy corporate "town centre" model with the same chain stores you see in the mall. For all the hype going to places like Atlanta and Houston these days, those cities are growing in that fashion. NOLA stayed historical.
Lets get one thing straight.NOLA is the way it is because of the consequence of poor leadership.
Their historic areas remain that way because of NOLA was not growing at a rate the other cities did.

Why?Because of corruptions,racism and economic segregation.
The current ,akeup of the city of NOLA is a consequence by chance rather than planning.
Its just so happens that it was a good thing but the social ramifications are long lasting and evident to this day.

If Atlanta had not been burned down perhaps the plan for growth would not had been set in the minds of civic leaders and the city would have grown in away that is more urban,however Atlanta does have some things it can work with.

Such as things like Ponce City Market and Krog Street Market or areas like Castleberry Hill.Many redaptive use properties are happening throughout the city using some of the cities oldest buildings

Old 02-25-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
As someone who recently moved a small business here along with several others who have, I always laugh when posters mention the lack of F500's here. Its just so trivial in respect to business that actually happens here on a daily basis...
While I agree tha having f-500 are not essential to having a thriving city with business opportunities,I still would not go as so far to say it is "trivial" in respect to business for a major metro.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:21 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,084,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
While I agree tha having f-500 are not essential to having a thriving city with business opportunities,I still would not go as so far to say it is "trivial" in respect to business for a major metro.
It depends on the vantage. For someone like myself, who operates in business here daily, it couldn't be more trivial. How would a lack of Fortune 500 companies effect any aspect of my business? It doesn't. What does matter is the influx of people(potential clients) moving here. What does matter are the number of other small businesses moving here, helping diversify the business climate and job pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City