Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2014, 01:03 PM

639 posts, read 820,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Overrated: NOLA....Sorry but I just think people highly overrate how urban the city is on here.

Underrated: I don't find any Southern cities really underrated. Maybe Nashville?
Your Trippin. New Orleans and Miami the MOST URBAN CITIES in the SOUTH. FACT!!

Old 02-26-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
New Orleans isn't overrated. Frankly, it's the only interesting city with urban design and aesthetics in the entire South for places above a million people. Including Washington DC in the South.

New Orleans' only issue is that it was never able to become a 8 million megaplex like a Boston or Bay Area. It was never able to become an international staple in culture, history, prominence, industry. It's core is just as charming, just as narrow, just as walkable, just as chic, just as gorgeous, just as gritty, just as storied, just as (if not more) musically infused, just as exciting, just as distinct as those two cities are in their respective regions.

Thanks for appreciating New Orleans. By the Way of LOVE D.C. lived there for a year, just flat out BEAUTIFUL.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:06 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
I'm not sure job opportunities are that great in Texas, guess it depends on industry, probably good for general business jobs, health care, IT. COL is definitely low though.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
New Orleans is not "chic".lol
Just because its walkable does ot mean it liveable.

Although it is getting more liveable as of late.

lol... your funny!!

Old 02-26-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
The funny thing is that New Orleans is more "chic" than most cities in the country. When I go to Atlanta or Dallas I laugh at the cheesy corporate crap that residents clamor over.

In New Orleans, we have traditional classy restaurants where people actually dress for the occasion, avant garde arts districts with artists whose main goal is to make art not sell it, loads of independently owned clothing stores, a true café culture with many different neighborhood coffee shops and bakeries, beautiful architecture that movies come here to film with and many fashion shoots use as a backdrop. People literally write books about New Orleans interior design and style. We have a culture that values our cuisine and fine dining.

Seriously??? Get off Bourbon Street once in a while.
Thank You!!

Old 02-26-2014, 01:28 PM

213 posts, read 388,319 times
Thankfully government starts locally and goes up from there. I love New Orleans and all the rich European history it has to offer. Every gulf and Atlantic coastal city and state should learn from history, and the great Galveston Hurricane of 1900 provided a great lesson for all. With all that said, it seems that the most charming and loved cities of the south are indeed located near water.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lunatic & A Therapist View Post
Are you sure New Orleans has a business community? I'm counting their Fortune 500 companies........

If it makes you feel better there is one its called ENTERGY, but it could definitely stand to use some sure. I mean who doesn't want fortune 500 companies. I'm telling you New Orleans is RESURECTING gonna take time. As I've stated before it spend 30 years of declining because of some of the things others have mentioned. BUT THAT IS OLD NEWS. Imagine in those 30 years when cities like Dallas,Atlanta, Houston etc.. where growing if New Orleans would have kept growing we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Lets get one thing straight.NOLA is the way it is because of the consequence of poor leadership.
Their historic areas remain that way because of NOLA was not growing at a rate the other cities did.

Why?Because of corruptions,racism and economic segregation.
The current ,akeup of the city of NOLA is a consequence by chance rather than planning.
Its just so happens that it was a good thing but the social ramifications are long lasting and evident to this day.

If Atlanta had not been burned down perhaps the plan for growth would not had been set in the minds of civic leaders and the city would have grown in away that is more urban,however Atlanta does have some things it can work with.

Such as things like Ponce City Market and Krog Street Market or areas like Castleberry Hill.Many redaptive use properties are happening throughout the city using some of the cities oldest buildings
I can respect this post !

Old 02-26-2014, 01:49 PM

213 posts, read 388,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon504 View Post
If it makes you feel better there is one its called ENTERGY, but it could definitely stand to use some sure. I mean who doesn't want fortune 500 companies. I'm telling you New Orleans is RESURECTING gonna take time. As I've stated before it spend 30 years of declining because of some of the things others have mentioned. BUT THAT IS OLD NEWS. Imagine in those 30 years when cities like Dallas,Atlanta, Houston etc.. where growing if New Orleans would have kept growing we wouldn't be having this discussion.
New Orleans did loose a lot of companies to Houston over the decades, and especially after the oil bust in the 80s and then Katrina. New Orleans being a natural port city from it's beginning has so much going for it, and I'm glad there are citizens that want New Orleans to preserve and promote it's past while further investing in it's economic future.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostOak5115 View Post
New Orleans did loose a lot of companies to Houston over the decades, and especially after the oil bust in the 80s and then Katrina. New Orleans being a natural port city from it's beginning has so much going for it, and I'm glad there are citizens that want New Orleans to preserve and promote it's past while further investing in it's economic future.
Yes Indeed. Good post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City