Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 11:24 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,084,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
New Orleans isn't overrated. Frankly, it's the only interesting city with urban design and aesthetics in the entire South for places above a million people. Including Washington DC in the South.

New Orleans' only issue is that it was never able to become a 8 million megaplex like a Boston or Bay Area. It was never able to become an international staple in culture, history, prominence, industry. It's core is just as charming, just as narrow, just as walkable, just as chic, just as gorgeous, just as gritty, just as storied, just as (if not more) musically infused, just as exciting, just as distinct as those two cities are in their respective regions.
...Though its the truth, you're about to get alot of hate for this post. Brace yourself mon frere.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:16 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
New Orleans isn't overrated. Frankly, it's the only interesting city with urban design and aesthetics in the entire South for places above a million people. Including Washington DC in the South.

New Orleans' only issue is that it was never able to become a 8 million megaplex like a Boston or Bay Area. It was never able to become an international staple in culture, history, prominence, industry. It's core is just as charming, just as narrow, just as walkable, just as chic, just as gorgeous, just as gritty, just as storied, just as (if not more) musically infused, just as exciting, just as distinct as those two cities are in their respective regions.
New Orleans is not "chic".lol
Just because its walkable does ot mean it liveable.

Although it is getting more liveable as of late.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:19 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,006,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It's not Texans. People from Texas have been trying to say this for years. I love Austin but it is definitely overhyped.
It's raging Austinites which consist of bratty suburban kids from Houston who went to college in Austin then grew up and never left. They bash on Houston and Dallas yet having only grown up in the burbs they never really experienced those cities.

Austin is a really cool city but I admit that its overhyped to mythical proportions. They think they're like a Texan Bay Area.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:50 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjb122982 View Post
Exactly! One of my friends who works in Kentucky works with a guy who is from Alabama who considers Kentucky to be not be apart of the South. Suffice to say, I thought it was the craziest thing I have ever heard.

That's why I didn't post Louisville, which would definitely be the most underrated, if people could figure out what region is belongs to lol.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:06 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,235,090 times
There's your problem. New Orleans is far from Montreal, there are no cities that are like New Orleans on this continent. I see you only mention Bourbon St. and the Quarter (which is not French, most of the buildings were built by the Spanish). That's a huge problem. If you didn't visit Frenchman St in the Marigny, Magazine St, Oak St, Freret St, St. Charles Ave, Julia Ave, Carrolton, City Park, etc then I see why you were disappointed. Downtown is a great place for tourists but I hate how people rarely venture out of the CBD because they think it's like Sudan.[/quote]

Although I think New Orleans is (somewhat) overrated based on my three-day visit some time ago, I do agree it is unique and I wouldn't mind heading back there at some point to explore it further. I did visit some of the uptown area (via the trolley) and I'd like to see more of that, as well as sample more of the food. I do love the food, of course.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:34 AM

640 posts, read 1,225,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
New Orleans is not "chic".lol
Just because its walkable does ot mean it liveable.

Although it is getting more liveable as of late.

The funny thing is that New Orleans is more "chic" than most cities in the country. When I go to Atlanta or Dallas I laugh at the cheesy corporate crap that residents clamor over.

In New Orleans, we have traditional classy restaurants where people actually dress for the occasion, avant garde arts districts with artists whose main goal is to make art not sell it, loads of independently owned clothing stores, a true café culture with many different neighborhood coffee shops and bakeries, beautiful architecture that movies come here to film with and many fashion shoots use as a backdrop. People literally write books about New Orleans interior design and style. We have a culture that values our cuisine and fine dining.

Seriously??? Get off Bourbon Street once in a while.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:51 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
The funny thing is that New Orleans is more "chic" than most cities in the country. When I go to Atlanta or Dallas I laugh at the cheesy corporate crap that residents clamor over.

In New Orleans, we have traditional classy restaurants where people actually dress for the occasion, avant garde arts districts with artists whose main goal is to make art not sell it, loads of independently owned clothing stores, a true café culture with many different neighborhood coffee shops and bakeries, beautiful architecture that movies come here to film with and many fashion shoots use as a backdrop. People literally write books about New Orleans interior design and style. We have a culture that values our cuisine and fine dining.

Seriously??? Get off Bourbon Street once in a while.
I have been to New Orleans.Not just Boubon Street.
New Orleans is a great city but chic is not what comes to mind.

As much as I don't care for Miami,it is what I consider chic.So is San Francisco,New York.

No Atlanta and Dallas are not "chic" either BUT they offer more in terms of luxury lifestyle than New Orleans by far.

Whether its shopping or their neighborhoods ,other cities offer that lifestyle far better than New Orleans.

I will say that for the average person with average taste, New Oreleans offers as much or more maybe even more depending on who you ask.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:09 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,006,539 times
New Orleans is a unique city with a unique atmosphere, culture and architecture. Most southern cities chose to develop through that cheesy corporate "town centre" model with the same chain stores you see in the mall. For all the hype going to places like Atlanta and Houston these days, those cities are growing in that fashion. NOLA stayed historical.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:13 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Overrated: NOLA....Sorry but I just think people highly overrate how urban the city is on here.
How so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
But lacks economic power.
Not for long. Also, it's hard to say it lacks economic power when it controls the mouth of the worlds 2nd largest river. Shut down the port for just an hour and see how the entire country responds.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:43 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Not for long. Also, it's hard to say it lacks economic power when it controls the mouth of the worlds 2nd largest river. Shut down the port for just an hour and see how the entire country responds.

We tried that with Katrina already....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City