Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City is Best for Me
Kansas City, Kansas or Missouri 9 18.37%
Cleveland, Ohio 15 30.61%
Portland, Oregon 25 51.02%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 05:01 PM

186 posts, read 349,585 times

Advertisements

I looking to move quickly from Atlanta been here since 2004 and now I am ready to go. I am 20 years old and I want to be a police officer so as long as the crime rate is not extremely high, I am happy. I have 61 hours of college credits and have ran out of money to pay for school so I need a place to live and get a good job. But other ammenities are important like Walkability, transit and a little nightlife so which city is the best to be a Police Officer, which city has a lower cost of living, Which city can I meet beautiful women of all colors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 10:41 AM

270 posts, read 855,563 times
Don't you have to go through the police acadamy in order to become a police officer? I have no idea, but good luck!

P.S. - I voted for Portland

Old 12-18-2009, 11:22 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,152,984 times
Portland wins for low crime, and it is a great city for walking, biking and mass transit.

The other two will have better weather. Even with Cleveland's winter it still has four seasons. Portland only has a good summer, the rest of the year sucks IMO. KC and Cleveland much better nightlife. Portland also has almost no diversity, the cons I listed may be a shock coming from ATL. How did you pick these three?

Old 12-18-2009, 11:45 AM

902 posts, read 2,789,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
Portland wins for low crime, and it is a great city for walking, biking and mass transit.

The other two will have better weather. Even with Cleveland's winter it still has four seasons. Portland only has a good summer, the rest of the year sucks IMO. KC and Cleveland much better nightlife. Portland also has almost no diversity, the cons I listed may be a shock coming from ATL. How did you pick these three?
I was wondering the same thing lol these are 3 random cities. Anyways I would think that Portland has the best nightlife out of the 3 by far as it is the largest city of the 3. But I have no experience with nightlife in Cleveland or KC and not much of one in Portland. What makes you come to the conclusion that it is the other way around, jc?

Old 12-18-2009, 03:56 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,634,412 times
Perception wise aside, Cleveland has the most to offer, and some of the best suburbs in the nation.

And Cleveland was rated as having one of the best mass transit systems in the nation. The night life in Cleveland is probably larger than any of the cities listed as well. Cleveland was also ranked #6 in the nation in terms of Culture.

I walk everywhere in my area of Cleveland and don't have a car, nor do I see the need to rely on one.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/09/20...l/20hours.html
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/art...nism-cleveland
http://www.thesunchronicle.com/artic...es/6108612.txt
http://www.popcitymedia.com/features...and102809.aspx
http://www.cleveland.com/entertainme...eal_cleve.html

Clevelanders are a tougher crowd and less uptight. I was never a fan of the Portland attitude. I met some people who were against the norm, and if you weren't against the norm, you were an outcast. It was sort of odd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMno6St_hk8

Cleveland is a misunderstood and misinterpreted city. It's a shame most people perceive a city on what they hear and not what they actually see/do. Visit each city!

Last edited by WeSoHood; 12-18-2009 at 04:06 PM..

Old 12-19-2009, 01:05 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,824,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scared to Life View Post
I looking to move quickly from Atlanta been here since 2004 and now I am ready to go. I am 20 years old and I want to be a police officer so as long as the crime rate is not extremely high, I am happy. I have 61 hours of college credits and have ran out of money to pay for school so I need a place to live and get a good job. But other ammenities are important like Walkability, transit and a little nightlife so which city is the best to be a Police Officer, which city has a lower cost of living, Which city can I meet beautiful women of all colors.
Rule out Portland. It's really expensive compared to the other two. I mean, you do get what you pay for, but still. I would suggest Cleveland.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:45 AM

2,785 posts, read 6,636,009 times
Cleveland gets my vote.

You can't beat the second largest performing arts district in the country. One of the best orhestras in the world, and one of the best art museums in the world. It has a great public transit system (so does Portland). Cleveland also has a great metro park system and a national park within 30 minutes of Downtown. Univesity Circle is a great area to check out. And the Inner Ring suburbs have some of the best culture you can find. Just get on the Blue Line and head out to Shaker Square. A downtown that is bustling, a diverse economy, and much more.

Check out East 4th Street Downtown. Great bars and restaurants.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:41 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,831,618 times
Cleveland

Old 12-19-2009, 04:48 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,928,260 times
Cleveland
KC
Portland

Old 12-19-2009, 05:50 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,641,451 times
According to the Officer Down memorial page, the Cleveland Police Department has had three officers murdered (all due to gunfire) this decade, with the latest one occurring in 2008:

Cleveland Police Department - Cleveland, OH

And it appears as though nearby suburbs like Cleveland Heights have also had officers murdered in the line of duty this decade.

The Kansas City, Missouri police department hasn't lost an officer due to homicide since a vehicular assault in 1998, and Portland is the same - no officers murdered in the line of duty since 1998.

So in that regard, it seems Clevelanders are the most murderous toward police.

In terms of homicide rates, Kansas City appears to have the highest, with Cleveland second, and Portland a distant third.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City