Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2014, 03:59 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I was referring to Uptown Dallas when people are saying it's built out. Uptown Houston will never be a super urban area.It won't be Uptown Dallas. It's an edge city type development popularized around a mall. It will always be that way. It's different from Uptown Dallas and Midtown Atlanta. If any part of Houston has a chance to become like those two, it's Midtown Houston which is in its infancy in redevelopment.

My mistake, I thought you were talking to me. You didn't quote anybody and my post was right before yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 04:02 PM

6,696 posts, read 9,950,228 times
Quote:
The borders of Uptown are built out. But is there room for development in Uptown? Yes.
Yes, there are a few land areas left.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:09 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,373,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
So you agree that Uptown Dallas is more urban and that the only way for Midtown to surpass it would be if it goes through a boom? Any city can go through a boom so those if's and buts shouldn't be considered. Uptown is mostly built out and has little room to grow. Midtown still has plenty of room for growth. So as it stands, Midtown has the most potential for growth and Uptown is currently the most urban.

Most Urban
1.Uptown Dallas
2.Midtown Atlanta
3.Uptown Houston

Most potential for growth
1.Uptown Houston
2.Midtown Atlanta
3.Uptown Dallas
Are you delusional??

These are high times for large-scale Midtown development projects. If our calculations are accurate, roughly 400 stories of new residential, office, hotel and retail space have been proposed in the last few months, promising a true vertical jolt to the Midtown skyline.

Looking Up: Proposed Tower Bonanza Continues In Midtown - Development Du Jour - Curbed Atlanta

Old 03-07-2014, 04:20 PM

At the end of the day, without heavy rail subway Uptown Houston and Dallas have no shot at competing with Midtown Atlanta at full buildout.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:29 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
At the end of the day, without heavy rail subway Uptown Houston and Dallas have no shot at competing with Midtown Atlanta at full buildout.
Because of not having a heavy rail subway? I don't understand that.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Because of not having a heavy rail subway? I don't understand that.

The car infrastructure that will be required from the lack there of. Also, the development intensity level. You know they won't be able to develop at the level they would be able to with a heavy rail subway system.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:30 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
The car infrastructure that will be required from the lack there of. Also, the development intensity level. You know they won't be able to develop at the level they would be able to with a heavy rail subway system.
There are other mass transit systems other than Heavy Rail. While it sucks that Dallas or Houston won't get one because of the expenses and the FTA will NEVER fund one again in this country, you do have light rail and BRT. I realize that they aren't at the level of HRT, but they will do the job. Unfortunately, Houston faces the worse rail opposition out of any major city in this country. No city goes through what Houston goes through when trying to build a mass transit system. But the car is the not the only means to get to and experience in at least Uptown Dallas. You do have a streetcar and DART rail. In Houston, most of the development will be on Post Oak.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:32 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,656 times
Quote:
See this is what I'm talking about. When did the OP ever ask about transportation let alone, subways? Atlanta has subways in Midtown ok, but how is that the end all be all for "potential" or getting build out?

Old 03-07-2014, 05:48 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,306,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
LOL...no. Again, show some pictures? Atlanta's midtown actually has subway stations...Dallas's uptown has a little old trolly. Atlanta's midtown is on a grid system. Dallas's uptown is gridded, but in a weird way. Half the highrises in Dallas's Uptown has grass setbacks. You can easily see in in this picture below.

http://www.dallas-ecodev.org/wp-cont...town-Azure.jpg

To say 20 years behind is insane. Uptown is nothing special. You're making it sound like it's a neighborhood in Manhattan or SF. Dallas doesn't even have heavy rail, nevermind it's infrastructure being 20 years ahead of Atlanta's.

Any real urbanist would easily see that Atlanta's midtown is more urban feeling due to buildings actually abutting the street and street level retail. It may have gaps, but once those gaps are filled, it's pretty easy decision out of the 3 districts being discussed.

Atlanta's midtown also has Piedmont Park which destroys any park in Dallas.
First of all Dallas has the trolley, light rail, heavy commuter rail (double decker cars) and a second commuter rail line. Also building a street car line (as is Atlanta). There's 3 miles of DART rail that is submerged (which is a decent amount for Texas) and Uptown does have a subway station at a trolley station. You can jump off one and onto the other.

The picture you showed has TREES lining those streets, but yes Uptown does have grass and that's a good thing. Nothing wrong with setbacks at all. Now with that said let's keep this a fair fight. You keep saying you want to see pictures (I think anyone knows how to use Google images). So with that said let's have people take a look at Midtown Atlanta to see just how much grass is there as well. Let's just take a look at Peachtree Street alone which is considered the most urban street in Midtown. Look up these areas on google satellite images and tell me if there's grass or not:

1) Peachtree at Beverly Road
2) Peachtree at Peachtree Cir
3)Peachtree at 17th St
4) Peachtree at 16th St
5) Peachtree at 10th St (Considered the nexus of Midtown and each corner of this intersection is either grass or parking lot
6) Peachtree at North Ave (Site of Atlanta's tallest tower the BofA. Much larger setback than what's found in Uptown Dallas)

This does not include any of the bare surface parking lots along this stretch of road. Once you go east of Peachtree the "urban" feel drops significantly a block or so away. West of Peachtree is filling in, but there's still a large number of gaps, surface lots, dead zones, etc. There's even fast food with drive thru's along Spring street. Let's not pick on Uptown Dallas for some strips of grass when Atlanta has it's own problems. Midtown may have more large office towers that grip the street. Let's not act like Uptown Dallas doesn't have that and Downtown Dallas houses the majority of the large office buildings in the area, in Atlanta they are more spread out. Only 5 or 6 of Atlanta's top tallest buildings are in downtown so of course other districts will have more of that type of development. Dallas is zoned differently.

As for parks, I really enjoy Piedmont Park and feel it's in a great location. The expansion is nice as well. Don't think that Dallas doesn't have very nice parks and innovative parks as well. White Rock Park alone is completely different from anything in Atlanta so you can't say Dallas doesn't lacks in that department.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
See this is what I'm talking about. When did the OP ever ask about transportation let alone, subways? Atlanta has subways in Midtown ok, but how is that the end all be all for "potential" or getting build out?

Uptown Houston and Uptown Dallas will never have the density that can be built around a heavy rail system. That's what I meant about infrastructure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City