Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 08:39 PM

200 posts, read 814,250 times

Advertisements

Which neighborhood is better for a young professional to live in. I cannot make up my mind. I like ATL because it has a stronger arts scene as well as culture. Dallas is great but lacks some things that Atlanta has but is getting better especially in Victory Park.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:06 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Default Uptown Dallas

Depends on what you like. Uptown Dallas is very urban. Buckhead has a suburban edge city feel. I say if you took Buckhead and put it in a Midtown Atlanta setting you'd have Uptown Dallas. It definitely does have culture/arts. Its located between the Dallas Arts District and the Design District. I've seen posters in other threads claim Atlanta having more arts than Dallas but I honestly don't know what they are referring to other than the Woodruff Arts Complex there aren't other museums and world class performance halls in that area and Atlanta doesn't have a huge design district like you have in Dallas. That isn't meant to be a knock on Atlanta but I just don't get what people are comparing?

Uptown Dallas has lots of great bars, restaurants and shopping in walking distance of anywhere in the neighborhood or conveniently on the trolley line which connects the neighborhood and to the Dart rail. The neighborhood isn't that large so its easy to get around to anything you need without using a car. You are within a 1/2 mile or so radius of downtown and oak lawn which are all very urban areas. You would have to travel 5 miles or so to Midtown Atlanta to go to the Woodruff Arts Center and downtown Atlanta. Your post makes it sound like you haven't visited the area in a while. It has changed dramatically into a very upscale cosmopolitan urban neighborhood. I absolutely love it! The Buckhead skyline is more impressive but the actual fabric of Uptown Dallas is great.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:40 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
What is the facination with Buckhead on this site, the more i see it the more it makes me think it is the only interesting place in Atlanta and way over-hyped, every city has a similar neighborhood. I like Buckhead and think its nice, but so are neighborhoods in many other cities

Glad to see Midtown growing up too in Atlanta. The promotion of Buckhead at times dimishes my feeling for Atlanta, a city that has a great future. It is great to be proud but why does it have to be compared to everything else on these boards. I restate a great neighborhood and something to be proud of, but it is similar to the great neighborhoods in many other cities. I have spent many days and nights in Buckhead and think it is just fine, a great place, but not by any means the end all be all, actually to me that is La Jolla

ok my rant is done carry on

Old 02-12-2010, 11:49 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
What is the facination with Buckhead on this site, the more i see it the more it makes me think it is the only interesting place in Atlanta and way over-hyped, every city has a similar neighborhood. I like Buckhead and think its nice, but so are neighborhoods in many other cities

Glad to see Midtown growing up too in Atlanta. The promotion of Buckhead at times dimishes my feeling for Atlanta, a city that has a great future. It is great to be proud but why does it have to be compared to everything else on these boards. I restate a great neighborhood and something to be proud of, but it is similar to the great neighborhoods in many other cities. I have spent many days and nights in Buckhead and think it is just fine, a great place, but not by any means the end all be all, actually to me that is La Jolla

ok my rant is done carry on
For the most part I find it's usually people for outside who put the focus on Buckhead. It's one of the more easily identifiable neighborhoods for people out of town, and for good reason. But the hip places for young professional urban dwellers to live in Atlanta are Midtown, Downtown and the Eastside neigborhoods with few places in between.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:57 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
For the most part I find it's usually people for outside who put the focus on Buckhead. It's one of the more easily identifiable neighborhoods for people out of town, and for good reason. But the hip places for young professional urban dwellers to live in Atlanta are Midtown, Downtown and the Eastside neigborhoods with few places in between.

Yes I agree, I am getting more acquainted with Midtown, I think it is a great step and will get better

Old 02-13-2010, 12:01 AM

I dont understand why I hear a lot of comparisons of Uptown Dallas and Buckhead. I would think Midtown Atlanta is more like the Uptown & Oak Lawn areas in Dallas than Buckhead.

Uptown in Houston is a lot more like Buckhead in almost every sense.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:06 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Definately uptown Dallas. I love its layout and is far more urban.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:16 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Definately uptown Dallas. I love its layout and is far more urban.
More Urban?Uptown?Buckhead is served by 3 i(counting Lindbergh) heavy rail stations.More retail in my opinion.Although I got to admit i never hung out that much in Uptown Dallas.I think people also forget that Buckhead is not just the area around Lenox Mall.Lindbergh is a huge urban center within itself.This portion of Buckhead give it ultra density.I mean really you got 2 Targets within 2-3miles of each other.Even a 3 colleges.1 an actual campus.Oglethorpe.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:36 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
More Urban?Uptown?Buckhead is served by 3 i(counting Lindbergh) heavy rail stations.More retail in my opinion.Although I got to admit i never hung out that much in Uptown Dallas.I think people also forget that Buckhead is not just the area around Lenox Mall.Lindbergh is a huge urban center within itself.This portion of Buckhead give it ultra density.I mean really you got 2 Targets within 2-3miles of each other.Even a 3 colleges.1 an actual campus.Oglethorpe.
yet, even with all that, uptown dallas is still more dense and walkable than buckhead. especially the west village

Old 02-13-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Perimeter Center has rail stations too and that doesnt make it urban and lenox and phipps are suburban style shopping malls not urban shopping like you have in the west village. Buckhead has definitely began to grow in the right direction but it still feels like an edge city, especially with the number of strip malls and fast food restaurants you still see present. Uptown Dallas is more akin to Midtown Atlanta with a more upscale twist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City