Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities are more similar
LA/SD 33 21.71%
Portland/Seattle 86 56.58%
Neither 33 21.71%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 10:19 AM

32,104 posts, read 34,720,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I know of SFs social ills because I listen to bay area artist. Which in turn, prompted me to look up the specific SF neighborhoods in which they discussed.
But there aren't any well-known artists from San Francisco. Too Short is from Oakland (not SF). He was right in the sense that poverty in SF is not on many people's radar. No artist from SF has ever been as prominent as Ice Cube.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 07:24 PM

854 posts, read 1,482,624 times
I think it's much more similar to southern California. The multiculturalism, the scope, the wealth, the inequality, the semi-arid environment.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:43 PM

696 posts, read 1,170,515 times
Def reminds me a lot more like Portland/Seattle over anything in Southern Cal.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:16 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Overall culture and vibe is more Southern CA than PNW. It's much closer to SoCal, has way more ties, and is in the same state. Outside of SF/Oak/Berkeley I really don't see anything that is remotely like the PNW and it's much more like SoCal imo.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:37 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,299,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Overall culture and vibe is more Southern CA than PNW. It's much closer to SoCal, has way more ties, and is in the same state. Outside of SF/Oak/Berkeley I really don't see anything that is remotely like the PNW and it's much more like SoCal imo.
What are the ties between San Francisco and So Cal cities that aren't found in the Pacific Northwestern cities?

Old 03-22-2014, 12:56 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
I think it's much more similar to southern California. The multiculturalism, the scope, the wealth, the inequality, the semi-arid environment.
Yes on all these.
The only commonality with the PNW is the liberal hippie vibe and the Asian and gay populations. However, the liberal side is touted so much as SF's most prominent feature that I was expecting it to be just a larger version of PNW cities in all other ways too, and completely didn't expect all the aspects listed above.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:28 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
What are the ties between San Francisco and So Cal cities that aren't found in the Pacific Northwestern cities?
A lot more business ties between the two places. A lot more people have family and move between the two parts of the state imo. Cultural ties. The connection between SoCal and the Bay Area is much stronger than the PNW and that's evidenced by how many people travel between the two.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:31 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times
I always thought that if you wanted to define SF by comparing it to other cities, it would be some kind of combination of the denser parts of LA, Seattle, and Pittsburgh, with a little bit of Brooklyn and lower Manhattan splashed onto it. Maybe a little Boston too. In fact I think that's one of the reasons why so many people are enamored with SF. They find things that remind them of home, yet at the same time everything is so different, and it's all in this amazing natural setting. Of course those are just rough comparisons, and SF is really it's own thing, like any city...but it would be wrong to say that it doesn't have some similarities to other cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
This is more representative of SF's residential areas, I'd say:

https://www.google.com/maps?ll=37.78...,4.75&t=h&z=16
They're both representative of SF's residential areas. What you posted is much more common in the northeast and central part of the city, while what the other guy posted is typical of the southern and eastern parts of SF.

Quote:

Very wrong. While there is gang activity in the Mission, painting the latino community with a gang-connected brush is flagrantly inaccurate and absurd. It is also morally wrong, as well as wrong in reality, to say that black people don't matter in SF.
I think you're downplaying how big a part gangs have played in SF's latino community since the 1970s. What lunaticvillage said is true...I don't think he was trying to say the entire Latino community is gang-connected though (of course it's not), just that it has long had a serious problem with gangs. And when he says "black people don't matter" he means that in the eyes of the city government, that's how it's seemed for the majority of SF's black population for the majority of the past 60 years.

Quote:
Actually, I think the really bad parts of SF are the ones that are not gentrifying. Paris, too, "is an international city renowned as being one of the top ten most beautiful cities in the world" that has grittier sides that aren't seen by visitors. The nature of most tourism is that tourists visit the touristy parts of cities.
I disagree. Every single one of SF's high-crime areas aside from the depths of the projects is seeing some level of gentrification, even if it's just a tiny amount. And even the worst projects are slowly being torn down and rebuilt. Most poor/high crime parts of SF are less poor and less crime-ridden than they were a decade ago, though they are obviously still poor/rough/high-crime areas.

And Paris does have a reputation of sorts for bad neighborhoods, probably more so than SF, whether it's deserved or not. I've seen plenty of people complain about the supposedly crime-ridden suburbs and outer neighborhoods of Paris, and there have even been some pretty high profile movies in the past decade that have sensationalized it (mostly known in Europe of course, not the US). The same can't really be said for SF, which for the record has a much higher violent crime rate than Paris, and a higher violent crime rate than the majority of US cities for that matter (yet most people will wrongly claim SF is extra safe for a US city, because that's what stereotypes have told them to believe).

I mean, there have even been attempts to shed some light on the bad side of SF, and they got nowhere literally because of stereotypes. There was supposed to be a showtime series about gang life in SF ("Sucker Free City"), that was directed by Spike Lee, but it was dropped after the pilot episode because the network executives decided that that there wasn't a big enough market for a gang-life show set in SF (and it was actually shot here too! In the projects! No Vancouver stand-in BS). Instead we get shows about gay men dating each other, because that's what the stereotypes say the reality is, and far more people are familiar with that.

Last edited by rah; 03-23-2014 at 11:47 AM..

Old 03-23-2014, 12:03 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But there aren't any well-known artists from San Francisco. Too Short is from Oakland (not SF). He was right in the sense that poverty in SF is not on many people's radar. No artist from SF has ever been as prominent as Ice Cube.
What, did Rappin' 4 Tay and RBL Posse not ever break out on the East Coast in the 90s?

Rappin 4 Tay - Players Club - YouTube

RBL Posse - Don't Give Me No Bammer Weed - YouTube

Last edited by Deezus; 03-23-2014 at 12:13 PM..

Old 03-23-2014, 04:21 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Boston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City