Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 10:43 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,256,045 times

Advertisements

The $16 million dollar overhaul and transformation of Cleveland's fabled PLAYHOUSE SQUARE DISTRICT is nearing completion. The transformation is stunning and amazing to see in person, it features: NEW GOLDEN GATEWAY ARCHES - PORTALS OF ENTRY TO THIS DYNAMIC AREA, A 1920S ERA STICK SIGN THAT SPELLS OUT *PLAYHOUSE SQUARE*- A REPLICA OF A SIGN THAT ONCE GRACED THE DISTRICT IN THE 1920s - 1940s NEW ILLUMINATED DIGITAL INFORMATION BOARDS AND .... THE WORLDS LARGEST OUTDOOR CHANDELIER - IT HEARKENS BACK TO THE GILDED OPULENCE THAT IS FOUND INSIDE OF THE MULTIPLE THEATER'S THAT COMPRISE THIS HISTORIC PERFORMING ARTS DISTRICT - PLAYHOUSE SQUARE IS THE SECOND LARGEST PERFORMING ARTS / THEATER DISTRICT IN THE UNITED STATES - SECOND ONLY TO NEW YORK CITY. PHOTOS HERE - http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...cleveland.html SO, WHAT TYPE OF TRANSFORMATIONS ARE HAPPENING IN OTHER LARGE AND RENOWNED THEATER DISTRICTS IN CITIES SUCH AS DENVER, HOUSTON ... OVERVIEW OF PLAYHOUSE SQUARE OVERHAUL - PlayhouseSquare New District Design - YouTube

Last edited by JohnDBaumgardner; 04-12-2014 at 11:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 03:04 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,859,948 times
I never heard of Cleveland's Theater District so I just did a little online research and I'm very impressed. Very similar to Houston Theater District in number of venues and location. The biggest differences being Cleveland has a larger theater in it's district and Houston has more annual visitors (Cleveland +1 million, Houston +2 million). Seeing that Cleveland is a much smaller city I'm even more impressed by what they've accomplished with it's district.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I never heard of Cleveland's Theater District so I just did a little online research and I'm very impressed. Very similar to Houston Theater District in number of venues and location. The biggest differences being Cleveland has a larger theater in it's district and Houston has more annual visitors (Cleveland +1 million, Houston +2 million). Seeing that Cleveland is a much smaller city I'm even more impressed by what they've accomplished with it's district.
Thank you! Even before this major overhaul, Playhouse Square has always been a special place. Our theater district is very impressive largely because it was first developed when Cleveland was one of the top 5 largest cities in America!

Old 04-13-2014, 05:11 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,775,179 times
This isn't to say anything bad about the district itself. It obviously has some good bones to it.

However

A $16 million investment into an urban district is hardly a transformation of an area. That is relatively small. It would be a transformation of maybe a sidewalk/streetscape for a few blocks.

I like the traditional red backlit sign on the building itself, but I'm not a big fan of the rest of it. I hate to the naysayer, but it reminds me of a 90's era mall-look. It doesn't particularly match the otherwise beautiful architecture of the buildings either. The chandelier over the intersection isn't that great.

It looked better in that youtube video. The video seemed to make it seem like the build quality of the accent pieces would look more real in character and fit in better. It isn't so much as a problem with ideas as much as it is implementation.

I know other cities have had this same problem.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
This isn't to say anything bad about the district itself. It obviously has some good bones to it.

However

A $16 million investment into an urban district is hardly a transformation of an area. That is relatively small. It would be a transformation of maybe a sidewalk/streetscape for a few blocks.

I like the traditional red backlit sign on the building itself, but I'm not a big fan of the rest of it. I hate to the naysayer, but it reminds me of a 90's era mall-look. It doesn't particularly match the otherwise beautiful architecture of the buildings either. The chandelier over the intersection isn't that great.

It looked better in that youtube video. The video seemed to make it seem like the build quality of the accent pieces would look more real in character and fit in better. It isn't so much as a problem with ideas as much as it is implementation.

I know other cities have had this same problem.
I must confess that initially, I was not won over by all of these new "enhancements"; however, once I saw everything up close in person, I was pleasantly surprised. The photos I included with this thread only shows the project in progress ... The crystals have not been placed on the chandelier yet. As mentioned, the official dedication and lighting of the district happens on May 2nd, just 2 weeks away! I think once everything is in place and it is fully illuminated most people will embrace it.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:55 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,775,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
I must confess that initially, I was not won over by all of these new "enhancements"; however, once I saw everything up close in person, I was pleasantly surprised. The photos I included with this thread only shows the project in progress ... The crystals have not been placed on the chandelier yet. As mentioned, the official dedication and lighting of the district happens on May 2nd, just 2 weeks away! I think once everything is in place and it is fully illuminated most people will embrace it.
I see.... does this mean we can get more photos later?

Old 04-13-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I see.... does this mean we can get more photos later?
Absolutely!!! :-)

Old 04-13-2014, 06:02 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times
I wish Atlanta had an urban theatre district like this. I mean, we have the Fox, but it isn't a continuous line of 10 story buildings with theatres on the bottom.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:48 PM

493 posts, read 639,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Cleveland isn't small.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:04 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,959,657 times
I was impressed with Cleveland's theater district when I visited last month. Like Pittsburgh its urban, historic, and grand.

Pittsburgh's Cultural District is impressive as well. The high concentration of venues helped revitalize downtown Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City