Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 10:12 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,168,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reretarff View Post
Cleveland isn't small.
I believe Westhou meant is that Cleveland is small compared to Houston.
By means it's no small town either. It's actually a nice city to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 08:36 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,287,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post

A $16 million investment into an urban district is hardly a transformation of an area. That is relatively small. It would be a transformation of maybe a sidewalk/streetscape for a few blocks.
Although this beautification process is a very visable gamechanger for the area, this is actually towards the end of a long list of improvements the district is seeing:

Hanna Broadway Theater Renovations(Circa 1921) (PlayhouseSquare/Downtown)-- $20 million COMPLETED 2013 Hanna Theater at Cleveland'sPlayhouseSquare
Hanna Annex Apartments conversion (Playhouse Square/Downtown) -- $23 million COMPLETED 2013 PlayhouseSquare to selldowntownCleveland office building to the K&D Group for apartments |cleveland.com
Allen Broadway Theater Renovations and Expansions (Circa 1921)(Playhouse Square/Downtown) -- $30 million COMPLETED 2012
Work begins on renovations toAllenTheatre at PlayhouseSquare | cleveland.com

Middough/Dodge Building Renovations(Playhouse Square/Downtown)(Circa 1913) -- $20 million COMPLETED 2012 http://www.csuohio.edu/offices/archi...ugh/index.html
E.14th/Playhouse Square streetscape (Playhouse Square/Downtown) -- $3 million COMPLETED 2011 http://www.playhousesquare.org/defau...etail&objId=62

Also under construction within a one block radius:

8-story, 217 unit apartment: Clayco student-housing project on Euclid Avenue gets OK from Cleveland's planning commission | cleveland.com
Hofbrauhaus Playhouse Square -- $9 million
Hofbräuhaus brewery, restaurant planned for PlayhouseSquare land wrapping the Hermit Club | cleveland.com

The New York Times recently focused on the area: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/02/re...ring.html?_r=0

Old 04-14-2014, 10:40 AM

1,374 posts, read 3,256,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
Although this beautification process is a very visable gamechanger for the area, this is actually towards the end of a long list of improvements the district is seeing:

Hanna Broadway Theater Renovations(Circa 1921) (PlayhouseSquare/Downtown)-- $20 million COMPLETED 2013 Hanna Theater at Cleveland'sPlayhouseSquare
Hanna Annex Apartments conversion (Playhouse Square/Downtown) -- $23 million COMPLETED 2013 PlayhouseSquare to selldowntownCleveland office building to the K&D Group for apartments |cleveland.com
Allen Broadway Theater Renovations and Expansions (Circa 1921)(Playhouse Square/Downtown) -- $30 million COMPLETED 2012
Work begins on renovations toAllenTheatre at PlayhouseSquare | cleveland.com

Middough/Dodge Building Renovations(Playhouse Square/Downtown)(Circa 1913) -- $20 million COMPLETED 2012 http://www.csuohio.edu/offices/archi...ugh/index.html
E.14th/Playhouse Square streetscape (Playhouse Square/Downtown) -- $3 million COMPLETED 2011 http://www.playhousesquare.org/defau...etail&objId=62

Also under construction within a one block radius:

8-story, 217 unit apartment: Clayco student-housing project on Euclid Avenue gets OK from Cleveland's planning commission | cleveland.com
Hofbrauhaus Playhouse Square -- $9 million
Hofbräuhaus brewery, restaurant planned for PlayhouseSquare land wrapping the Hermit Club | cleveland.com

The New York Times recently focused on the area: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/02/re...ring.html?_r=0

Costello,

Thanks for providing these other pertinent details regarding the "TOTAL TRANSFORMATION" of Playhouse Square, it gives the other member's a much broader scope of understanding what this dynamic district is really like and how it has continued to evolve in such positive ways.

The NEW MOMENTUM in Cleveland is very strong and quite impressive.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:51 PM

^ Yep no problem -- no reason to let all this progress fly under the radar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I see.... does this mean we can get more photos later?
Here are some photos from various people:

Cleveland: Playhouse Square Developments

Old 04-15-2014, 05:56 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,775,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
^ Yep no problem -- no reason to let all this progress fly under the radar!

Here are some photos from various people:

Cleveland: Playhouse Square Developments
Good to hear there is much more going on! We need serious improvements to our arts venues nationwide.

I also like that big sign that says Playhouse square now that I have a better look of it.

Admittedly, I'm still skeptical of the signage, but y'all are not unique to this criticism I have either.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:21 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,343,321 times
Looks nice. I've always thought that Public Square and Playhouse Square make great focal points/anchors to downtown Cleveland. The amount of adaptive reuse along Euclid between the two is even more interesting to me, as Euclid has potential to become one of the best downtown walking streets in the country IMO.

Minneapolis also has a respectably sized theater district (Orpheum, Historic State, Pantages, and Cowles Dance Theater, Hennepin Center for the Arts), but needs a focal point or something to tie it together, like Cleveland's Playhouse Square.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:46 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,859,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reretarff View Post
Cleveland isn't small.
Sorry, I didn't mean it as an insult. I'm just incredibly impressed by how grand it's theater district is compared to cities much larger than it. Cleveland is definitely a big city.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:04 AM

And Houston city is about the same population size as Cleveland MSA

Old 04-17-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
Looks nice. I've always thought that Public Square and Playhouse Square make great focal points/anchors to downtown Cleveland. The amount of adaptive reuse along Euclid between the two is even more interesting to me, as Euclid has potential to become one of the best downtown walking streets in the country IMO.

Minneapolis also has a respectably sized theater district (Orpheum, Historic State, Pantages, and Cowles Dance Theater, Hennepin Center for the Arts), but needs a focal point or something to tie it together, like Cleveland's Playhouse Square.
Agreed. Minneapolis definitely has some very impressive theater stats:

Is Minneapolis/St Paul one of the top theatre cities in the United States? - Minneapolis City Guide | Examiner.com

Old 04-18-2014, 08:34 AM

249 posts, read 399,507 times
Mediocre investment.

Cleveland is a class D city so I guess it's ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City