Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 08:59 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,918,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
I would think that the Steelers also boosts Pittsburgh's popularity.
Also very true. Besides Green Bay (a true city that is only known for its NFL team), the Steelers have the largest US fan base, as well as international fan base.

NFL Power Rankings: Who Has the Best Fan Base in the NFL Today? | Bleacher Report
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 12:16 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawksfan33 View Post
The twenty most famous cities in the United States that I wouldn't excuse people for not knowing (lol, I wouldn't bother them over it, but I may make a joke as long as they don't get offended):

1. New York City (it's by far the most famous one)
2. Washington D.C. (it's a close second)
3. Los Angeles (I believe that it's easily the most famous city in California and on the entire West Coast, even though a couple of cities are close competition for that title)
4. San Francisco
5. Chicago
6. Seattle
7. Miami
8. Detroit
9. Phoenix
10. Dallas or Fort Worth
11. Philadelphia
12. Houston
13. San Antonio
14. Atlanta
15. Boston
16. St. Louis
17. Baltimore
18. Las Vegas
19. Memphis
20. Denver
Go hawks :-)

Old 04-30-2014, 12:18 AM

Most major city's in this country.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:54 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Any of the major US cities (metros of a million or more) are inexcusable to have never heard of. It's virtually impossible to go your whole life having never heard of any of those such places. Those who haven't are willfully ignorant, are brand new immigrants from overseas, or grew up Amish.
I don't completely agree with that. I mean, I don't think I'd blame someone for not knowing Jacksonville, Greensboro, Grand Rapids, Greenville, Fresno, El Paso, Tulsa, Tucson, or Dayton.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:13 AM

It depends how old they are.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:42 PM

854 posts, read 1,140,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Since there are so many topics about "iconic" cities or even name recognition in places like Zimbabwe or Uzbekistan (newsflash: most people in either place don't think about American cities as much as people who post on the City vs. City forum on a site called City Data do), what cities would you not excuse someone IN THE UNITED STATES of not hearing of before?

I'll start:

New York City
Los Angeles
Chicago
Washington DC
San Francisco

I feel like at the very least, every American should have at least have heard of these places once, twice, or even in passing. Note: I don't think most people could tell you off the top of their head what the population of each of these places are, as much as you could name me the most populated cities of India, China, or Russia are off the top of your head either.

If you want to add, feel free.

Also, given that something like "State Capitals" is tested on frequently in elementary school, at least 30/50 should just jump out at people (+ or - how old you are/quality of school you went to).

Landmarks like "Mount Rushmore", "Grand Canyon" I feel are things most people have at least have some sort of knowledge of.

I'm just trying to combat the idea that I see frequently in threads that people simply "have never heard of the place." That's dumb. Even places like Las Vegas, Atlantic City, New Orleans, people have heard of. Lets be real here.
If you haven't heard of these cities you should consider going back to grade school.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:05 PM

148 posts, read 276,963 times
Most people have heard of Philadelphia. Are you guys kidding?

Ben Franklin discovering and inventing half of technology
American Revolution
Declaration of Independence
Philadelphia Cream Cheese
Philly Cheese Steak
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
The Phillies
Philadelphia (1993) - 2 Oscars
Philadelphia Story (Hepburn) - 2 Oscars
Philadelphia (Springsteen) "Streets of Philadelphia" achieved greater popularity in Europe than in the United States. While it peaked at number nine on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, it became a number-one single in Germany, France and Austria, two in the United Kingdom
Philadelphia (Neil Young)
The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air's syndicated song is so big, One Direction covers it at all their concerts, the crowd knowing every word, especially "In West Philadelphia.."

Philadelphia's name is WAY too many places for a reasonable person not to have heard of it. Even most teeny boppers have mentioned "West Philadelphia"

Old 05-22-2014, 11:14 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,110,662 times
I dunno, I'm still not sure if Philadelphia is a real place or not. Need more convincing.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:26 AM

1,064 posts, read 1,904,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
San Antonio over Atlanta and Boston? Really? Pittsburgh Cleveland and New Orleans not even on the list and Memphis is on there?
Don't forget Mexico is next door to Texas and of course San Antiono beat out Atlanta!
A lot of people in Mexico have never heard of Atlanta but when you say San Antonio it is a BIG yes!

Old 05-24-2014, 01:54 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,110,662 times
What about the other 195 countries?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City