Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas vs. Houston
Dallas 127 64.80%
Houston 69 35.20%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 08:50 AM

32 posts, read 48,030 times

Advertisements

Which city do you think is better? (Economy, quality of life, cost of living, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 08:51 AM

20,525 posts, read 33,608,066 times
Head to the Texas forum. You will see post after post in this topic.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:51 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,986,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Head to the Texas forum. You will see post after post in this topic.
Perhaps the OP is looking for the opinions of those all throughout the nation. Posting it in the TX forum restricts it only to the opinions of TX people.

Anyway, I'd go with Houston, based on what I've heard. I heard that Houston is more laid back, less pretentious, and has nicer lush green landscape.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:57 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,602,757 times
I'm an outsider (non-Texan) who has been to both cities on vacation. I found Dallas a lot more interesting. Houston felt like one big office park. Too many buildings and highways took away from it's charm. I'm sure can be a nice place to live but as a visitor, it's hard to see past non-stop glass and concrete. Dallas felt more liveable, neighborhoody, and cultured. I know I haven't lived in these places but this was my impression after visiting each. Both had great eats and friendly residents though!

Old 04-20-2014, 09:58 AM

20,525 posts, read 33,608,066 times
Quote:
based on what I've heard.
That's the problem. If this is how the thread is going to go than he is not going to get an answer. Not to mention this thread was already done, millions of times.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:09 AM

1,207 posts, read 1,285,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Perhaps the OP is looking for the opinions of those all throughout the nation. Posting it in the TX forum restricts it only to the opinions of TX people.

Anyway, I'd go with Houston, based on what I've heard. I heard that Houston is more laid back, less pretentious, and has nicer lush green landscape.
I lived in the DFW metro for almost 20 years. I never got why people called the place pretentious. I've seen more pretentiousness in Florida. Never got the laid back part either.

And it doesn't make a difference if it's open to all Americans or just Texans. There will be straight bullsh*t posted by page 3.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:20 AM

23,509 posts, read 44,187,501 times
I have a cousin in Dallas (University Park) and two in Houston (River Oaks and League City). All are proud of their respective cities and love to show them off. I've thoroughly enjoyed getting to know both of them.
I guess if I had to state a preference, it would be Dallas. No real reason other than it reminds me in some ways of my hometown of Atlanta.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:27 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,154,812 times
Dallas seems to have way better neighborhoods from what I see in pictures...I think the area to the Northwest of downtown is underratedly urban and walkable. I also see that the 'Deep Ellum' neighborhood is interesting.

When I went to Houston, I just was not impressed with the city at all. I mean, it's great and all that you have a nice economy and a bunch of towers going up, but....what does that do for a tourist? The downtown is not tourist friendly. I'm not that interested in Uptown or TMC.

I just feel like as a tourist and even if I was a person wanting to live in the city, Dallas is better due to better transit and more walkable neighborhoods.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:35 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,725,987 times
I have a lot of family in both, but I've only been to Houston. I hove how there's so much to do there. I'm sure Dallas is similar.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:40 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,516,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Dallas seems to have way better neighborhoods from what I see in pictures...I think the area to the Northwest of downtown is underratedly urban and walkable. I also see that the 'Deep Ellum' neighborhood is interesting.

When I went to Houston, I just was not impressed with the city at all. I mean, it's great and all that you have a nice economy and a bunch of towers going up, but....what does that do for a tourist? The downtown is not tourist friendly. I'm not that interested in Uptown or TMC.

I just feel like as a tourist and even if I was a person wanting to live in the city, Dallas is better due to better transit and more walkable neighborhoods.
I co-sign all of this. Houston is just Houston. It's there, it's big, it's booming... but it just there. Like blah... Welcome to Houston.

I liked the folks in Houston better than the folks in Dallas, but I liked Dallas as a city more than Houston. And that irritated me because I (as a Georgian) felt more at home in Houston but Dallas is more interesting IMHO. And the Park Cities area of Dallas. Yes!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City