Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 03:19 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,372,464 times

Advertisements

Neither.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 04:17 PM

124 posts, read 149,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
No soil liquefaction does not happen 'anywhere'.... as the article clearly states,some areas such as Portland and Seattle ,and San Fransisco for that matter are much higher risk than San Diego. I've read several articles plus looked at the geographical and risk-factor maps.
Look at tornadoes in the Midwest and South lately. Like I said, **** can happen everywhere.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:32 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Quote:
No soil liquefaction does not happen 'anywhere'.... as the article clearly states,some areas such as Portland and Seattle ,and San Fransisco for that matter are much higher risk than San Diego. I've read several articles plus looked at the geographical and risk-factor maps.
I don't think that four-letter word that was *'d out was "soil liquefaction."

Old 04-29-2014, 05:08 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,898 times
Quote:
I think he's talking about natural disasters in general. You just gotta decide which one affects you the least: mudslides, earthquakes, snowstorms, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:47 PM

124 posts, read 149,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
I think he's talking about natural disasters in general. You just gotta decide which one affects you the least: mudslides, earthquakes, snowstorms, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc.
^Yep. I gotta say tho, these tornadoes look scarier than any snowstorm. Earthquakes dont happen too often, but never know.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:48 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staygully View Post
Look at tornadoes in the Midwest and South lately. Like I said, **** can happen everywhere.

Oh, ok,I have to agree with you there,tornadoes and blizzards are a real B__!

But I would also put mud/landslides,sinkholes and soil liquefaction at the top.

I really hate surprises,so those disasters that happen without any warning and no way to prepare/escape are even worse,IMO.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:38 PM

737 posts, read 1,654,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWIb View Post
Thanks. Did you consider Denver five years ago?
Yes we actually did, but the pay couldn't justify the move for me. Both cities offered relatively similar living experiences and MPLS paid significantly more so I choose MPLS.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:41 PM

737 posts, read 1,654,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I would not personally equate Austin to Minneapolis. Austin really isn't that close to that level yet, despite its rapid population growth, and that's not a slight to Austin.

A good substitute could be Denver, Seattle, Portland, San Diego or maybe Chicago or Boston (not for size obviously). Obviously, none of these places are perfect either, and where you gain on the one hand u will also lose on the other hand. Three years is a bit short but if u can't handle the cold u wouldn't be the first. Just know that you will potentially struggle to find that "it" place based in ur preferences.
Fair enough. I have never been to Austin so I'm not quite sure what it's like there? I know its not as big as MSP but was just thinking "progressive" vibe.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:13 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
I wouldn't say Denver's climate is way better.
Why not? I definitely think it's a lot more mild.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:41 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Quote:
Oh, ok,I have to agree with you there,tornadoes and blizzards are a real B__!

But I would also put mud/landslides,sinkholes and soil liquefaction at the top.

I really hate surprises,so those disasters that happen without any warning and no way to prepare/escape are even worse,IMO.
You mean because there's all kinds of warning for tornadoes and blizzards? Mud/landslides/avalanches are fairly predictable.

Look, you're welcome to any kind of unreasonable fear that you want. But take a look at this list of US natural disasters, and the death tolls. And then come back and tell us what kind of an event you're more likely to die from. And by the way ... please also note how many of them happened in Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City