Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 10:05 PM

16 posts, read 51,765 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I'm feeling tired and enough of the long freezing winters in Minnesota. we are a young family of 4 currently living in bloomington mn which is a suburb city of Minneapolis and home of mall of America. We really love everything except the harsh climate. The place is very family friendly. Houses are cheap. Everything is close - a twenty min drive takes us to either Minneapolis or St. Paul. Malls are everywhere and parking is never a problem. We want to try find another place that has a milder climate and in the meanwhile keep as many as the good aspects that we appreciate.

So far we found some areas that we would like to get more information about. We would appreciate any inputs and recommendations even if it's not in the list.

Denver/Colorado Springs, co. Afaik Denver and Minneapolis are similar in many ways. We were looking at northwest suburbs of Denver and it can reach either boulder or Denver in 20 minutes. There is also Affordable housing and it comes with warmer winters. Compared to the other two in my list, Denver still has freezing temps in winter and winters irate not short either. We are afraid that the change would not be enough to make us really enjoy the winter months.

Portland or. Temperatures are moderate. Housing is more expensive. Heard about gloomy winters.

Charlotte/Raleigh nc. Warmer and more affordable than Portland maybe. Heard about humid summer.

If anyone lived or is living in Minnesota and you have better or worse experience especially climate wise in the other city/states, I would love to hear!

Thank you in advance!
WWIb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 10:25 PM

533 posts, read 643,130 times
OP, I was in the same boat as you - liked everything about the twin cities but hated the long winters. I took my time to find a city that would fit my criteria. I was looking for warm to hot cities rather than the temperate ones you have listed. For us, economy, COL, and schools were also important. We picked Dallas and we are VERY happy with our choice. IMHO Texas and Dallas in particular gets a very bad rep on this forum. But for young families like yours that like to live in the suburbs with affordable housing and good schools, this place is perfect! As everyone knows, it gets hot here but there are many pleasant days overall. It was 93 degrees today but we took a nice long walk an hour before sunset. Out of the cities you have listed, Charlotte/Raleigh would be the best fit. I would also add Atlanta to the list. Good luck with planning the move!

Old 04-28-2014, 08:11 AM

Sometimes we even think Minneapolis summer is hot. Texas was not in the list first because of all the complaints about the heat. We haven't had real summer experience there though.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:56 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,987,157 times
I currently live in Minneapolis and have been to the cities / metros you are asking about.

If you really like what the Minneapolis area has to offer, then go with Denver as these two metros are more similar to one another than most metros. IMO, Portland is a bit overrated; Colorado Spring is too conservative and small; Charlotte and Raleigh are underwhelming for metros of their size.

BTW, I visit Denver and Colorado Springs a few times a year. I try to get to Portland as much as possible - actually going there this week, and I've been spending time in Charlotte for work.

Finally, how long have you been in the Minneapolis area? I ask because if you have been here longer than 5 years, you are going to realize quickly that this area is hard to beat.

Last edited by YIMBY; 04-28-2014 at 11:08 AM..

Old 04-28-2014, 10:58 AM

533 posts, read 643,130 times
If you think Minneapolis summers are hot, then Texas, Atlanta, Charlotte/Raleigh should not be in the running because they are all warm cities. PNW area sounds like a good fit for you then!

Old 04-28-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
I currently live in Minneapolis and have been to the cities / metros you are asking about.

If you really like what the Minneapolis area has to offer, then go with Denver as these two metros are more similar to one another than most metros. IMO, Portland is a bit overrated; Colorado Spring is too conservative and small; Charlotte and Raleigh are underwhelming for metros of their size.

BTW, I visit Denver and Colorado Springs a few times a year. I try to get to Portland as much as possible - actually going there this week, and I've been spending time in Charlotte for work.

Finally, how long have you been in the Minneapolis area? I ask because if you have been here longer than 5 years, you are going to realize quickly that this area is hard to beat.
Three years now. The past winter was unbelievably cold although previous two years were bearable.
How would you compare Denver vs Minneapolis then? I can tell now that Minneapolis is definitely better than a majority of cities, but still if Denver is Minneapolis-alike with a milder winter, it would be great IMO.
Thanks for the information.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwsavemoney View Post
If you think Minneapolis summers are hot, then Texas, Atlanta, Charlotte/Raleigh should not be in the running because they are all warm cities. PNW area sounds like a good fit for you then!
Yeah I was just thinking Minneapolis to Texas is like moving for one pole to the other. Seattle and Portland has perfect average monthly temperature charts... Just the least number of sunny days is making the decision harder.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:15 PM

737 posts, read 1,654,831 times
I grew up in the Carolina's and currently live in Minneapolis, and if you think summers Minnesota are bad then I wouldn't consider Charlotte, or Raleigh. Both are consistently hotter and more humid than what you experience in the Twin Cities. Not to say that we don't have hot days in MPLS from time to time but the severity, and duration are much more intense in the Carolina's. As far as cities nationally most like the Twin Cities it's gonna be the same as usual Seattle, Denver, Portland, and maybe even Austin? All will have their pluses or minuses (cloudy, rainy, cold, brown, or hot, etc...), but most will offer a similar experience as the Twin Cities, It just depends on what you as an individual are willing to tolerate. Anyway just my 2 cents.

Last edited by sandlapper; 04-28-2014 at 06:27 PM..

Old 04-28-2014, 06:21 PM

737 posts, read 1,654,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
For what we have been searching for in a city, I agree 100%. We have been very pleased with our move to the Twin Cities! It will be 5 years in October.

Last edited by sandlapper; 04-28-2014 at 06:29 PM..

Old 04-28-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
For what we have been searching for in a city, I agree 100%. We have been very pleased with our move to the Twin Cities! It will be 5 years in October.
Thanks. Did you consider Denver five years ago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City