Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 08:38 PM

112 posts, read 136,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
How the hell is ATL on this absurd list, but not DC, Boston, Philly, Miami, Seattle, NO. I'd even put SLC or Denver on it over ATL.
Winter Olympics >>Summer Olympics according to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 08:55 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
I dont know why everybody's mad about Atlanta. Its a very well known city.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:01 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,901,685 times
Miami and DC should be on this list.

I would also say that if Vegas makes this list Orlando should also, Mickey Mouse is a big brand!!

As an objective person I can understand why a person may think Atlanta may not belong on this list. Most of us are visual people and unlike Chicago, NYC, Vegas, SF, and LA "Atlanta doesn't really have one iconic building or structure that the average joe who has never been to Atlanta can recognize. Chicago has the Sears Tower, NYC has the Statue of Liberty, Vegas has the MGM, SF has the GGB, and LA has the Hollywood sign. Atlanta does have a growing brand but visually the city is still faceless to most.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:42 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,511,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post

I would also say that if Vegas makes this list Orlando should also, Mickey Mouse is a big brand!!

As an objective person I can understand why a person may think Atlanta may not belong on this list. Most of us are visual people and unlike Chicago, NYC, Vegas, SF, and LA "Atlanta doesn't really have one iconic building or structure that the average joe who has never been to Atlanta can recognize. Chicago has the Sears Tower, NYC has the Statue of Liberty, Vegas has the MGM, SF has the GGB, and LA has the Hollywood sign. Atlanta does have a growing brand but visually the city is still faceless to most.
Atlanta's skyline is seen by over 16 million people each week. I think it is recognizable from coast to coast at this point.

Nice try, though.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:46 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,511,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I dont know why everybody's mad about Atlanta. Its a very well known city.
Because Atlanta isn't a world class city, silly. Only Miami and Houston are in the South.

It hurts to see publications that suggest otherwise.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:57 PM

271 posts, read 369,444 times
They had taken a few cities and then compared assets (Climate, Infrastructure, attractions, safety and economic prosperity) and then they have used the “Buzz” – which is some kind of statistical analysis how much they are mentioned in social media. The cities were than graded from 1 to 10. Remember that they didn’t take all cities but just a few and then compared them towards each other.

I have been too many of the European cities in the “study” including London, Paris, Barcelona, Madrid, Rome, Berlin, Venice, Milan, Lisbon, Oslo, Krakow, Copenhagen and Vienna. The only city I have not been to in Europe (in this particular study) is Sofia. Among the American cities included in the study I have been to Chicago and New York.

What this study tells us is that in the sample which included 57 cities or so, people like to talk about a few cities more than others and that some cities has more assets. Some of these variables that have been used are normative. For example is weather about taste – what I can see (with some guess) is that they have an ideal type of good weather and all the cities is measured against that ideal type – but we all know that some of the cities in the study is very cold (Oslo) and very warm (Mecca) so they never get positive points because they are at both ends of the scale.

Infrastructure, attractions, safety and a certain degree of economic prosperity is important for a tourist. I have no doubt about that but that. When it comes to attractions they cannot really be measured but you have to look into the intrinsic quality and not only how many museums or how many visitors – even though this can be important. Some cities do not have many attractions. Why do you go to Nairobi? You go to Nairobi for business or for a Safari. You are not actually going to Nairobi to run around being tourists. Nairobi is also a third world city in a third world country and stands of course no chance against any of the other cities. You can see it clear that the large and wealthy cities in Europe, Asia and United States are having it going for themselves. This explains why Atlanta, which everybody with a brain is not a tourist city fare so high. There are also some strange results like Mumbai. I really want to see how they coded “infrastructure”. The quality of the infrastructure is enormous among the cities included and just because Mumbai have a subway it does would not fare higher than a European city with not subways but with a well-developed bus or light train system.

The Guardian tells us that San Francisco has “jobs”. WTF are they talking about? The Unemployment in San Francisco metropolitan Area was 6 percent in March 2014 (BLS) which is ranked 128 among the metropolitan areas in United States. SF is actually doing well for being in California. California had in March 2014 an unemployment rate at 8.1 percent and the fourth worst in United States. Only States worse are Illinois, Nevada and Rhode Island.

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas
Unemployment Rates for States

I wouldn’t go to San Francisco to look for a job but I would go to Oslo and Norway in particular which not even ranked among the “top 25”. When did cities like Bangalore and Chittagong some kind of world cities with “big brands”. The truth is that this study because of its very selection makes it strange. There are a lot of background variables the mix the result up. To fix this from the very beginning you should create a comprehensive statistical model including do a good sampling of cities from the beginning – not close your eyes and spin a globe.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:58 PM

409 posts, read 587,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post

I don't think the Sears Tower is globally recognizable like those other landmarks. It isn't even been the Sears Towers for years now, and has a look that is hard for most people to distinguish from other Chicago towers like John Hancock.

Atlanta, though, has even less of a globally recognizable brand. There's really no structure in Atlanta that's remotely well known in terms of national or global recognition.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:01 PM

409 posts, read 587,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconesforme View Post
The Guardian tells us that San Francisco has “jobs”. WTF are they talking about? The Unemployment in San Francisco metropolitan Area was 6 percent in March 2014 (BLS) which is ranked 128 among the metropolitan areas in United States.
Unemployment rate has little to do with which areas have the most/best jobs.

And 6% is hardly high unemployment rate anyways.

And I would definitely go to SF rather than Oslo if I wanted a job.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:12 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,109,900 times
RE: Sconesforme

SF has the lowest unemployment of the American cities on the list.. and it is like 100 spots better than the next closest (ATL).

So what are you talking about?

Old 05-10-2014, 10:13 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconesforme
The Guardian tells us that San Francisco has “jobs”. WTF are they talking about?
WTF are you talking about?

San Francisco's job market is very strong at the moment.

Quote:
The Unemployment in San Francisco metropolitan Area was 6 percent in March 2014 (BLS)
Yes, and that's below the US national average and way below most of Europe.

Quote:
which is ranked 128 among the metropolitan areas in United States. SF is actually doing well for being in California. California had in March 2014 an unemployment rate at 8.1 percent and the fourth worst in United States. Only States worse are Illinois, Nevada and Rhode Island.
Yeah, and California is first in total annual job creation and has seen its jobless rate tumble.

Furthermore, this is not a ranking of states-fyi

Quote:
I wouldn’t go to San Francisco to look for a job but I would go to Oslo and Norway in particular which not even ranked among the “top 25”.
Been to Oslo, its nice but it is not in SFs league as far as as recreational and cultural amenities, world class dining, shopping, arts etc. Neither is most of Europe in SFs league.

And the Bay Area's 600 billion dollar economy is the most innovative and dynamic in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City