Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City is most Likely to be Destroyed by Natural Disaster, or Man-made Disaster
New York 14 12.73%
Los Angeles 43 39.09%
Chicago 2 1.82%
Houston 7 6.36%
Philadelphia 1 0.91%
Phoenix 6 5.45%
San Antonio 1 0.91%
San Diego 3 2.73%
Dallas 0 0%
San Jose 3 2.73%
Boston 0 0%
Fresno 2 1.82%
Oklahoma City 21 19.09%
Minneapolis 2 1.82%
New Orleans 34 30.91%
Tyler, Tx 3 2.73%
Denver 1 0.91%
San Francisco 32 29.09%
Las Vegas 3 2.73%
Hawaii 9 8.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 07:16 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
And "Hawaii" isn't a city either. Or even an island. haha
Yes, Hawaii is an island. It's the "big island."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 07:33 PM

582 posts, read 779,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
I also thought of St.Louis. This city has a history of violent tornadoes, could you imagine one of those long track EF4s or EF5s making a direct hit on the city? Then we are squeezed between these rivers that showed what they can do in 1993 when we were flooded. The worst I fear would be a major earthquake from New Madrid, unlike people in California, Missourians wouldn't have a clue what to do and like the other poster stated, some of these buildings are over a hundred years old and nothing has been built with earthquakes in mind.
St. Louis has less of a damage risk from a new Madrid quake than Memphis. It has the same risk as Nashville, Louisville, and Little Rock. Missouri schools in the area have been teaching kids about earthquake safety for at least 20 years. Anything build in the last 20 years has had to meet earthquake standards and older structures have been reinforced.

That said, if another new Madrid quake hit of the magnitude of the 1811 quake, you will need to add the risk to a whole lot of cities. That one woke up people in New York City.

Quote:
could you imagine one of those long track EF4s or EF5s making a direct hit on the city?
don't need to image, look up St. Louis – East St. Louis tornado. Went straight down the core of the city, right over where the arch now stands (it wasn't there at the time), and then jumped to East St Louis. It is ranked as one of the worst tornado in US history.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:47 PM

3,576 posts, read 3,078,446 times
I say Houston. As bad as it was, if Hurricane Ike's eye had hit 50 miles further west the storm surge would have gone up the Ship Channel and taken out downtown, the port, and all of the southeast quadrant of the city. Rainfall to the west of Houston, such as from a storm like Tropical Storm Alicia, would have overflowed the Addicks and Barker reservoirs and overflowed the entire Buffalo Bayou watershed - again including downtown and the Port. Throw in subsidence along the coast (always occurring) and rising sea levels. It's happened before, its going to happen again, but with more people and structures affected. The only question is when.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:00 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,903,148 times
East Florida.

Hurricane Andrew devestated Homestead!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heRS96YVP3k

People with little knowledge of storms will quickly say New Orleans because of Katrina. New Orleans was just unprepared with a prehistoric levee system when Katrina hit and honestly New Orleans is not as prone to hurricanes as East Florida. Katrina was an average storm compared to Andrew. I don't understand how this thread was started without Florida being in the polls.

Last edited by ATUMRE75; 05-13-2014 at 08:42 PM..

Old 05-13-2014, 08:04 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
I say Houston. As bad as it was, if Hurricane Ike's eye had hit 50 miles further west the storm surge would have gone up the Ship Channel and taken out downtown, the port, and all of the southeast quadrant of the city. Rainfall to the west of Houston, such as from a storm like Tropical Storm Alicia, would have overflowed the Addicks and Barker reservoirs and overflowed the entire Buffalo Bayou watershed - again including downtown and the Port. Throw in subsidence along the coast (always occurring) and rising sea levels. It's happened before, its going to happen again, but with more people and structures affected. The only question is when.
I think you need to stick to Rocket Science because meteorology is not your forte. If hurricane Ike had hit 50 miles further west that would have put the eye on shore at Freeport. This would have been bad news for Freeport and Galveston Island which would then been on the dirty side of the storm, but to suggest that would have sent storm surge all the way into downtown Houston is ridicules. A 20 foot storm surge cannot climb a 55 foot grade. There are maps that show where the worse case storm surges would flood, if you are interested in finding out facts, instead of fantasy, go look them up sometime.

If we just look at hurricane risk both New Orleans and Miami (which of course the OP left off the list) are at much greater risk than Houston. Not only because of the chances of being hit by a major hurricane are much greater in both those locations than Houston , but also those locations are at lower elevation and closer to the coast.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:28 PM

297 posts, read 476,271 times
Default Ike would have destroyed "beautiful West Houston"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
I say Houston. As bad as it was, if Hurricane Ike's eye had hit 50 miles further west the storm surge would have gone up the Ship Channel and taken out downtown, the port, and all of the southeast quadrant of the city. ....
I agree. And with all that gasoline and oil, things could get ugly.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:57 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
RocketSci[/b];34789652]I say Houston. As bad as it was, if Hurricane Ike's eye had hit 50 miles further west the storm surge would have gone up the Ship Channel and taken out downtown, the port, and all of the southeast quadrant of the city. Rainfall to the west of Houston, such as from a storm like Tropical Storm Alicia, would have overflowed the Addicks and Barker reservoirs and overflowed the entire Buffalo Bayou watershed - again including downtown and the Port. Throw in subsidence along the coast (always occurring) and rising sea levels. It's happened before, its going to happen again, but with more people and structures affected. The only question is when.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkSide View Post
I agree. And with all that gasoline and oil, things could get ugly.

DarkSide are you conversing with yourself ?

Old 05-14-2014, 08:22 AM

639 posts, read 821,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
East Florida.

Hurricane Andrew devestated Homestead!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heRS96YVP3k

People with little knowledge of storms will quickly say New Orleans because of Katrina. New Orleans was just unprepared with a prehistoric levee system when Katrina hit and honestly New Orleans is not as prone to hurricanes as East Florida. Katrina was an average storm compared to Andrew. I don't understand how this thread was started without Florida being in the polls.
Thanks for speaking facts, I can tell you have knowledge reagrding this topic. I'm from New Orleans and since Katrina hit people will quickly say New Orleans is in the MOST danger, I'm suprised New Orleans is not winning this poll. But just as you have stated New Orleans was just flat out unprepared and those levees were in VERY bad shape. Now are we vulnerable sure we are but due to billions of dollars poured in for a GOOD levee system, pumping stations and flood gates/walls New Orleans is in MUCH better shape pre Katrina. Now the biggest task to further protect is to rebuild the coast which they say is losing a football field every hour. Amazing. Also as you stated how can a Florida city especially Miami not be on this list? Truth be told they are more at risk than New Orleans. Good post

Old 05-14-2014, 09:19 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Just a matter of time before NO will be flattened by a Hurricane.
It was a great idea building a city below sea level, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:31 AM

639 posts, read 821,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
It was a great idea building a city below sea level, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Are you being sarcastic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City