Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best all around region for Craft beer in The United States?
Greak Lakes:IL, IN, MI, OH, WI 62 22.55%
Mid-AtlanticE, MD, NJ, NY, PA, D.C. 26 9.45%
Midwest: IA, KS, MN, MO, NE, ND, SD 16 5.82%
Mountain: CO, ID, MT, NV, UT, WY 29 10.55%
New England: CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT 14 5.09%
Northwest: AK, OR, WA 65 23.64%
Pacific: CA, HI 27 9.82%
South: AL, AR, KY, LA, MS, TN 5 1.82%
South-Atlantic: FL, GA, NC, SC, VA, WV 19 6.91%
Southwest: AZ, NM, OK, TX 12 4.36%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 02:10 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Chicago? Why does everyone cream their pants over Goose Island? Except for it's Bourbon County stout, everything I've had by them sucks.
Its all a matter of personal taste, bud. And if youve had the Colorado-brewed Goose Island (ie Honkers Ale), its not good. You have to get it out of Chicago, just trust me on that.

And in my honest opinion, most beers Ive had from Portland werent anything to write home about either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 02:15 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNNY__ View Post
No way should Chicago have been ahead of Seattle. The craft beer culture is far more prolific in Seattle - Seattle has way more micro-breweries per capita and even the diviest bars often have a good selection of local microbrews.
The problem with Seattle's beer/bar scene is that its oversaturated with the stupid oh-so-trendy beard-having, flannel-wearin, skinny jeaned hipsters riding their fixie bikes to the dive bars to be "cool". That crap right there makes me laugh at the scene in Seattle, I just cant take it seriously. And most of the beers Ive sampled are the pure definition of overrated, overpriced, and MEH. Nothing to write home about at all.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:25 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,809,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Its all a matter of personal taste, bud. And if youve had the Colorado-brewed Goose Island (ie Honkers Ale), its not good. You have to get it out of Chicago, just trust me on that.

And in my honest opinion, most beers Ive had from Portland werent anything to write home about either.
People from SEA & PDX have a 'holier than thou' attitude to their beer scene. That's why SD is so funny to have one of the biggest scenes going for them -- a city full of bro's who are like "whatever, it's beer I'll drink it" towards the local beer industry.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:00 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
"That's right, [SD] did whoop SEA's [azz]"

Old 05-13-2015, 12:06 PM

104 posts, read 127,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
"That's right, [SD] did whoop SEA's [azz]"
Eh - what?

Old 05-13-2015, 02:24 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,831 times
The problem with Western beers is they feel they need to pack as many "local hops" as possible in a bottle, even if it means absolutely ruining beers like stouts and porters which should not have a dominant hops note. Since I'm not a fan of IPAs/hoppy-pops, and I want my stouts to taste like stouts and etc., I've stopped buying anything West of the Plains. Since my favorite beers weres already mentioned above (stouts/porters, though I like Belgians and sours and many other kinds), it's obvious why I prefer the Great Lakes region, especially Michigan (though WI and OH make tons of great batches). I used to rate CA and CO much higher than I do currently, as I've generally been very disappointed over the last few years with the product.

Grand Rapids should definitely be on everyone's list. Chicago, not so much. At least not considering the population.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:41 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,809,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
The problem with Western beers is they feel they need to pack as many "local hops" as possible in a bottle, even if it means absolutely ruining beers like stouts and porters which should not have a dominant hops note. Since I'm not a fan of IPAs/hoppy-pops, and I want my stouts to taste like stouts and etc., I've stopped buying anything West of the Plains. Since my favorite beers weres already mentioned above (stouts/porters, though I like Belgians and sours and many other kinds), it's obvious why I prefer the Great Lakes region, especially Michigan (though WI and OH make tons of great batches). I used to rate CA and CO much higher than I do currently, as I've generally been very disappointed over the last few years with the product.
Might be some truth here. For instance one of the most overrated beers of all-time is out of CA for me -- Pliny the Elder. I feel like Stone, Russian River, Laguanita's make some weird IPAs that just tasted like tree bark was thrown into the fermentation process. But you should have another look at porters and stouts out of CA. They definitely exist. And CO has my favorite series of stouts ever made: The Yeti family from Great Divide!

Old 05-13-2015, 07:37 PM

12,868 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:

Grand Rapids should definitely be on everyone's list. Chicago, not so much. At least not considering the population.
I felt very much the same way at first. I think some of the more popular brews from out west really do feel that way. If you dig a little, you'll find that there's much more to Western brews than IPAs.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:31 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:

I'm not sure population plays any role. The most populous states and cities aren't commonly considered the epicenters of craft brewing. In Chicago's defense, it does have a lot of small breweries that people wouldn't normally encounter unless you ventured out more.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:00 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I'm not sure population plays any role. The most populous states and cities aren't commonly considered the epicenters of craft brewing. In Chicago's defense, it does have a lot of small breweries that people wouldn't normally encounter unless you ventured out more.
Agree. Yes Chicago's bigger than most of the other cities, but it still has a great brewing culture that makes it easy to get great local product, either packaged or through local brew pubs or craft bars. Likewise, GR punches above its weight, but still should just be considered a great city (even, region) for beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City