Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 03:51 AM

112 posts, read 136,144 times

Advertisements

Houston's urban sprawl gets national attention - Houston Chronicle

Do you guys agree with the two lists given?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 04:55 PM

112 posts, read 136,144 times
I think this list is off just due to them breaking up metros/CSA's but here it is:
Most Sprawliest

1. ATL
2. Nashville
3. Riverside/SB
4. Warren/Troy
5. Charlotte
6. Memphis
7. Birmingham
8. Rochester
9. Richmond
10. Houston

Least Sprawliest

1. NYC
2. SF
3. Miami
4. Santa Ana/OC
5. Detroit
6. Milwaukee
7. LA/LBC
8. SJ/Santa Clara
9. Oakland/Hayward
10. Chicago

Odd list

Old 05-14-2014, 04:59 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuggah View Post
I think this list is off just due to them breaking up metros/CSA's but here it is:
Most Sprawliest

1. ATL
2. Nashville
3. Riverside/SB
4. Warren/Troy
5. Charlotte
6. Memphis
7. Birmingham
8. Rochester
9. Richmond
10. Houston

Least Sprawliest

1. NYC
2. SF
3. Miami
4. Santa Ana/OC
5. Detroit
6. Milwaukee
7. LA/LBC
8. SJ/Santa Clara
9. Oakland/Hayward
10. Chicago

Odd list
Greater Miami has plenty of sprawl, but Miamis' city limits might be the least sprawling large city in the South. The city is only 35sq. miles, and most neighborhoods in the city are dense.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:08 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Greater Miami has plenty of sprawl, but Miamis' city limits might be the least sprawling large city in the South. The city is only 35sq. miles, and most neighborhoods in the city are dense.
Yep, but the article is clearly talking about metro areas. Though I do think Miami is more compact than many metro areas.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:15 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
I don't get this list. They have San Francisco and Oakland in different lists but them combine LA and Long Beach. Rochester as one of the sprawliest? They broke up the Detroit metro as well.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:16 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,596,557 times
I hate lists that use metro divisions. Detroit's metro division is one county while Warren/Troy is several counties, half of which are mostly rural.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:55 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,592 times
lol @ the comments section

Especially this gem:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbsteve
What a dumb list. Entries 4, 8 and 9 on the "most compact" list are part of the same sprawling SF Bay Area. Not compact.
This was #4 on the most compact list: 4. Santa Ana/Anaheim/Irvine, Calif.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:10 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
lol @ the comments section

Especially this gem:

This was #4 on the most compact list: 4. Santa Ana/Anaheim/Irvine, Calif.
Heh. Probably meant number 2.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:57 PM

305 posts, read 416,582 times
Dont know about any others, as I have never been anywhere else (wish I could travel ) but ATL is surely sprawly and probably number 1. Ive seen it change over the years and its transplants everywhere now, just being out and about you can see how people are changing with everyone merging together, just met a guy who just came down from Brooklyn, thick accent and all, he claims its cheaper here but "we have too many trees n ****", hes my neighbor now.

I hope this causes ATL to change a bit... like I dont know... improving our transit system or building some SIDEWALKS to walk on in all the suburbs, crazy how we have no bus or anything that goes directly into Gwinett, or Forsyth or NW Atlanta without having to transfer or something crazy, tedious and time consuming.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:42 PM

275 posts, read 415,919 times
Here's the methodology:

Quote:
Development density
Development density is measured by combining six major factors: 1) total density of the urban and suburban census tracts; 2) percent of the population living in low-density suburban areas; 3) percent of the population living in medium- to high-density areas; 4) urban density within total built-upon land; 5) the relative concentration of density around the center of the MSA; and 6) employment density.

Land use mix
Land use mix is also measured through a combination of factors: the balance of jobs to total population and mix of job types within one mile of census block groups, plus the WalkScore of the center of each census tract.

Activity centering
The proportion of people and businesses located near each other is also a key variable to define an area. Activity centering is measured by looking at the range of population and employment size in different block groups. MSAs with greater variation (i.e., a wider difference between blocks with a high population and a low one) have greater centering. This factor also includes a measure of how quickly population density declines from the center of the MSA, and the proportion of jobs and people within the MSA’s central business district and other employment centers.

Street accessibility
Street accessibility is measured by combining a number of factors regarding the MSA’s street network. The factors are average length of street block; average block size; percent of blocks that are urban in size; density of street intersections; and percent of four-way or more intersections, which serves as a measure of street connectivity.
This study exemplifies how big data can be very problematic. According to this study, Philadelphia's sprawl is equivalent to Las Vegas's and much worse than LA and Miami. That is simply laughable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City