Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 08:37 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
What's the color for the Wiz?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Do you have an NHL or MLS map to share?
Please refer to the links I shared in the OP because that's where I got it from.

The New York Times got the data using FACEBOOK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 09:46 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,299,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
Piedmont of NC it is far and away Panthers fans. When I saw this a couple of weeks ago, I was surprised to see Eastern NC had so many Steelers and Cowboys fans. I would have thought Redskins if anything...
Yeah, this survey done a few years ago showed Eastern NC solidly in Redskins territory.
http://commoncensus.org/maps/nfl_1280.gif

One reason (I suspect) you see so many Cowboys/Steelers "fans" on the football map or Yankees "fans" throughout the country on the baseball map is because people who are not really fans happen to "like" a certain team on facebook because that's the team that's winning/in the news/they've heard something about.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:20 PM

338 posts, read 446,742 times
Pittsburgh has so many fans in other cities because of the mass number of transplants starting in the 80's when the steel mils closed. Perfect timing for spreading a fan nation coming off of 4 super bowls and 2 world series in the 70's. The city lost around 250,000 people since 1970.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:34 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,355 times
Damn Lakers have a presence everywhere. Truly a global franchise. Holy crap. I don't think any American team has that much of a presence.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Lakers are on the level of global juggernauts like Manchester United, FC Barcelona, and Real Madrid. Crazy.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:00 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Damn Lakers have a presence everywhere. Truly a global franchise. Holy crap. I don't think any American team has that much of a presence.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Lakers are on the level of global juggernauts like Manchester United, FC Barcelona, and Real Madrid. Crazy.
If the NFL was as popular globally as the NBA, I would think the Cowboys would be up there. Because they have probably the largest national presence. They do have a large fanbase in Mexico. In just about every NFC East city outside of Dallas, the Cowboys probably have the 2nd or 3rd largest fanbase. I know there are thousands of Cowboy fans in California. That's why they have their training camp in Oxnard. In fact, Dallas has held their training camp in California for the majority of its existence. I think the only NFL fanbase as large as the Cowboys are the Steelers and Packers.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:03 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
If the NFL was as popular globally as the NBA, I would think the Cowboys would be up there. Because they have probably the largest national presence. They do have a large fanbase in Mexico. In just about every NFC East city outside of Dallas, the Cowboys probably have the 2nd or 3rd largest fanbase. I know there are thousands of Cowboy fans in California. That's why they have their training camp in Oxnard. In fact, Dallas has held their training camp in California for the majority of its existence. I think the only NFL fanbase as large as the Cowboys are the Steelers and Packers.
Just a lot of people making poor team choices Spade...

Would agree though - those three seem to have the strongest national draw - not sure the order but the Cowboys may have the most. The Steelers have quite the following as well as do the Packers

Old 05-15-2014, 02:05 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah, true, the Cowboys probably have more of national presence, but the Lakers are certainly the most popular American team globally. I mean just look at facebook and twitter followers alone. The Lakers are so far ahead of any other American team, it's silly, and I'm sure a lot of it has to do with their international presence, especially in places like China.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:08 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Just a lot of people making poor team choices Spade...

Would agree though - those three seem to have the strongest national draw - not sure the order but the Cowboys may have the most. The Steelers have quite the following as well as do the Packers
I just knew and Eagle fan would show his face. It trips me out that the city that is the Cowboys biggest rival, the DC area, is the city has a HUGE population of Cowboy fans.

I do agree that the Lakers may have quite the most presence around the world than any other American franchise. Kobe is huge in China last I heard.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:16 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,992,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Yeah, true, the Cowboys probably have more of national presence, but the Lakers are certainly the most popular American team globally. I mean just look at facebook and twitter followers alone. The Lakers are so far ahead of any other American team, it's silly, and I'm sure a lot of it has to do with their international presence, especially in places like China.
What about the New York Yankees?

Old 05-15-2014, 02:28 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,514,275 times
Love how the Raiders have fanbases in a bunch of tough rural counties on the margins of California or Southern Oregon or Nevada(outside of Southern California).

The island fanbases are interesting--where a team barely can outnumber a instate or regional rival in terms of support just outside their immediete area. Examples would be the Jacksonville Jaguars, Orlando Magic, New Orleans Pelicans, Sacramento Kings, and Houston Texans. On the other hand the teams where you almost have unified support in the entire state or region for one team like Michigan or New England over multiple regions is interesting too. I think the number of transplants or lack of transplants can influence this as well.

In some ways, I think some of these maps are better are painting a picture of certain regional boundaries more so than some of the other attempts on here.

Last edited by Deezus; 05-15-2014 at 02:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City