Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: State defined more by transplants
Florida 65 80.25%
California 16 19.75%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 08:05 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,113,921 times

Advertisements

I know one Californian who moved to Florida. It was recently and it was for retirement and because of the much lower COL & weather. He was Ski Patrol in Kirkwood near Tahoe and he moved to Naples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 08:14 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,660,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
I know one Californian who moved to Florida. It was recently and it was for retirement and because of the much lower COL & weather. He was Ski Patrol in Kirkwood near Tahoe and he moved to Naples.
I knew a few, too--but all were originally from NY or NJ and moved to South FL to "care for elderly parents," although I think most of the people I'm referring to probably couldn't hack it in CA, as they were all uneducated and/or unskilled workers. CA can be a very unforgiving place for uneducated, unskilled workers, similar to FL, but at least in FL, those people don't get priced out as quickly, hence why they keep 'em comin'!

Old 06-11-2014, 12:57 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,344,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
I knew a few, too--but all were originally from NY or NJ and moved to South FL to "care for elderly parents," although I think most of the people I'm referring to probably couldn't hack it in CA, as they were all uneducated and/or unskilled workers. CA can be a very unforgiving place for uneducated, unskilled workers, similar to FL, but at least in FL, those people don't get priced out as quickly, hence why they keep 'em comin'!
Oh please. Don't flatter California too much. I have plenty of friends out in LA making it just fine as bartenders, servers, and "aspiring actors" and restaurant owners. You don't need to be famous or a tech genius to survive in California.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
As someone who has lived in both California and Florida, this hasn't been my experience at all--quite the contrary, actually. Most people who move to California end up staying whereas most people who move to Florida eventually end up moving back to where they came from or to another state all together, up to and including California.

Also, something to add--in California, you meet lots and lots of Florida natives and people who lived in Florida at some point in their lives prior to moving to California, but in Florida, you almost never meet a native Californian or someone who used to live in California.
Right....Except my ex-boyfriend who is from LA (well, he is from China originally)? Or one of my best friends who is from San Diego? You meet plenty of California people in Florida.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:03 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,660,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Oh please. Don't flatter California too much. I have plenty of friends out in LA making it just fine as bartenders, servers, and "aspiring actors" and restaurant owners. You don't need to be famous or a tech genius to survive in California.
Well, since you're from Florida, I would imagine that most of your friends in California--or anywhere else, for that matter--are bartenders, servers, and the like--I didn't expect any of them to be tech execs or even professionals.

FWIW, I never said that you need to be famous or a tech genius to survive in California--I simply stated that California is an easier place to hack for educated professionals with a generally higher-than-average personal and/or household income, hence the reason why most people who now move to California from other states have at least a bachelor's degree.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-12-2014 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 06-12-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Well, since you're from Florida, I would imagine that most of your friends in California--or anywhere else, for that matter--are bartenders, servers, and the like--I didn't expect any of them to be tech execs or even professionals.

FWIW, I never said that you need to be famous or a tech genius to survive in California--I simply stated that California is an easier place to hack for educated professionals with a generally higher-than-average personal and/or household income, hence the reason why most people who now move to California from other states have at least a bachelor's degree.
My ex-boyfriend, from LA, is an actuary. My friend from San Diego is the dean of a private medical university.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-12-2014 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: response to deletion

Old 09-01-2014, 12:57 AM

528 posts, read 868,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
Definitely Florida.

Believe it or not most residents of California were actually born in California.
Yea that's a pretty sickening stat seeing people love to boast how CA is a state full of transplants. It so isn't. FL is far more diversified if you want my opinion. Parts of California feel like Arkansas and due to cheap COL, I think I'd rather live in Arkansas or Middle PA if the weather wasn't so harsh.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Florida without a doubt, just think about all the retirees. A lot of people move out to California, but a lot seem to move back within a few years. My uncle moved to Florida about 10 years ago to retire, he attempted to move back here at one time, but said he couldn't do it because of the cold weather. My grandma is thinking about retiring to Florida as well. California is just too darn expensive for most Americans to move to.
After living in both FL for 7 yrs and in and out of CA for 3 yrs and btw theres a reason I been in and out in such a short time and no, this is not the burger joint haha. I been trying to find a place since coming to CA because it was just never in the cards, never ever, too expensive, most people are too insular and while I met a few good people, theres more bad ones. I like FL a lot more and am going back asap. It has longer to go until a collapse happens also. CA water shortages are more intense than Floridas and on the dire water shortage map, FL is not in the red or anywhere near it. Let all those Californians go to Texas, I am avoiding both those states in the long run as well as Denver and Salt Lake. Anywhere where I think Californians are going to populate I will avoid. You have my word on that.

And another thing, FL has its native born citizens and some may not like Northerners who move down there but in my experiences far less are hostile secretly or in public to anyone not from there. Theres less resentment than there is between Californians and outsiders. Many FL natives I met, I rarely met a jerk.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:06 AM

Quote:
As someone who has lived in both California and Florida, this hasn't been my experience at all--quite the contrary, actually. Most people who move to California end up staying whereas most people who move to Florida eventually end up moving back to where they came from or to another state all together, up to and including California.

Also, something to add--in California, you meet lots and lots of Florida natives and people who lived in Florida at some point in their lives prior to moving to California, but in Florida, you almost never meet a native Californian or someone who used to live in California.
Yea well not this one. I came to CA and knew it wasn't for me in the long run and I have been in and out of the state since 2011. A family situation dragged me out here plus I wanted to live in Portland thinking I'd make it there. That failed. If I could do it all over trust me, I would have stayed in Florida hands down.

FL also could use more civic pride because of the factors you mention how people go there and cant wait to leave. They need more people to settle down for good and embrace the sports teams who have trouble selling out, theres less local culture there overall in that respect. Blacks are mainly the long time local culture mixed in with a smaller % of native Floridian white folks.

Floridians have a history of moving to California?? I never heard of this one. You're saying how many of these Californians were once Floridians? So those I see wearing those California Republic clothing could have once had family in FL? And a good percentage at that?? Wow hard to believe! Where do you get those facts from?

Old 09-01-2014, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Well that's the class I am in. At least more service jobs available to me in FL and manufacturing so long as I stick to bigger cities. Ca is an extremely unforgiving place for the undereducated college wise. I can outsmart several of these smarty pants here in CA, I just don't have the degree part many California employers want and certainly not into tech stuff so I am nothing but a serf in this state or a white n%%er. Mexicans have it better than me for damn sure here. I have no true home in CA between the white americans here or the Mexicans. I am best in Florida where at least someone like me has very little trouble socializing and meeting interesting people all the time.

And its true, its best in FL if you're rich also but CA and Portland OR even more so. FL provides more chances I feel to make money if you're in the lower class. Even if you have to serve rich old people who are kind of a pain. Its still something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City