Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: State defined more by transplants
Florida 65 80.25%
California 16 19.75%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 04:52 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,631,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Neither. Ever meet a NYC transplant? They are everywhere in the city.
Not as much as Florida or California:

New York City:

49% born in New York State
11% born in a different state
37% born in a foreign country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 05:49 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,997,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
California has a well-defined state culture with many local spin-offs. The culture of California is unifying, too--people in Bakersfield and Fresno, believe it or not, will probably have something in common with people in LA, Sacramento, or Redding from a cultural standpoint. When people move to California, they assimilate and become Californians.

Florida, OTOH, has one of the least definable state cultures of any state in the country because of two reasons: 1) it's very transient (people constantly moving in and out, mostly due to the criminal/runaway/working-class element it attracts), and 2) almost everyone who moves to Florida brings the culture of their home state and/or city with them, failing to assimilate to create/nurture a homegrown state culture. It's been like this for years, too. For example, the part of Florida in which I lived for years could have passed as Long Island--thick NY accents, pizza/bagel joints, and NYY hats/shirts/decals abound. However, if you drove an hour south, you'd think you were in Colombia or Venezuela. Someone in Miami will most likely have nothing in common with someone in Tallahassee, Pensacola, or even Fort Myers. At the end of the day, there's simple nothing that's culturally defining nor unifying in Florida.

With regard to the transience issue, Florida is much more transient than California, the latter of which is home to tons of natives, especially LA/LB (to my surprise, actually), hence the reason why there's way more state pride in California than in Florida. People in Florida are prouder to be from somewhere else or the children of transplants from elsewhere than to be from Florida. They're also more likely to move on after a few years whereas most people who move to California and esp. those born there never leave. I lived in Florida for years, and I wouldn't be able to pick out the state flag if you were holding a loaded gun to my head. OTOH, I knew what the California state flag looked like by Day 2--speaks volumes, IMO.
The Black neighborhoods in Florida retain alot of local culture and state pride.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:33 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,663,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
The Black neighborhoods in Florida retain alot of local culture and state pride.
Actually, that's quite true. For example, at my old office in Boca, the only adults over age 30 or so who were born and raised in Florida were black.

However, no one moves to Florida with the intention of moving to predominately black communities such as Opa-locka, Lauderhill, Riviera Beach, etc. because they're too dangerous/high crime, so there's a good chance lots of transplants from other states who move to places like Jupiter or Naples may have little, if any, exposure to that local, homegrown black culture.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:40 PM

854 posts, read 1,486,651 times
Definitely Florida.

Believe it or not most residents of California were actually born in California.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:16 PM

528 posts, read 869,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Interesting to note that Florida today has the same population as California did in 1970. Florida today is only 35% local born, while CA back then was 42% local born. Wonder how this will affect the long term trajectory of FL.
And that's why I want to go back to FL. Less people always means goodness. Proud to be CA folks where they think everywhere else sucks can keep this place. I want less crowds and an overall nicer state and who cares if the bugs are bigger and humidity is worse. I am for FL all day every day now since seeing how bad CA is.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
California has more substance than Florida, culturally and economically. In those regards, just move Disneyland to Nevada and add water, and you'll end up with Florida.
Where do you get your stats? California might be 8th largest economy in the world but that means nothing as its like a monster always in debt and needs to be fed. It will be like Greece before it becomes paradise again.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Personally I prefer California. That being said:

1. Disneyland isn't even close to being the same scale as Disney World. Plus let's not leave out Universal (yes, I know LA has one) and Sea World being within 10 miles of each other.
2. This will always be a debate, but it terms of relaxation, Florida has the better beaches. The sand is whiter and nicer and the water itself is much warmer and enjoyable. Surfing definitely goes to California, but I feel this is more of a niche activity.

I don't understand the blind Florida hate on this forum sometimes. The state simply isn't that bad. It's not my favorite state either, but I think there are too many exaggerated stories that people spread about Florida that adds to the state's bad reputation.
Well that's all the more space for me then! The longer it will stay half the population of CA. Only a family situation or my mom being remarried brought me to CA but I am by no means vested here and don't necessarily want to stay. In fact the local culture isn't too appealing to me.. I'll take transplant oriented Sarasota FL anyday with a more diverse cultured world view than out here by Nevada County and Tahoe areas which really do not have the worldly vibe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
This is spot on. I grew up here too, left, and came back. Local pride is growing very organically here in the Orlando area, and I'm proud to work for a business that is a part of this movement.

Yes Cali has way more of this and I've been tempted to relo there a time or two, but then I think of how I'd be missing out on creating that here, in my homeland.
You made the right decision. I been to Orlando and its nowhere near as bad as people make it. In fact Sacramento I feel definitely has more crime. I knew someone who lived in Orlando before whom I met in my part of FL and she loved it. If you're in the right part its golden and you always know where you are and know where not to be. Sacramento and Portland are much more patchy in their high crime and don't even get me started on what I heard about the Bay Area.

Also I know for a fact the Orlando area has farming and have a lot of fresh food around there, in FL in general does so its not JUST CA where you can get all that.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreen View Post
Florida does get a lot of hate on CD but not sure why either.
One time I tried starting a Get out of CA support group thread much like they wrote about getting uut of FL and ranting about FL. I suggested it, it got closed and a lot of people insulted me, got snide with me and when I argued them back, they closed the thread. CD does seem like it has a Pro CA sentiment to it and Anti FL.. you're right.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofla951 View Post
The issue was the ridiculous Nevada comparison, which I guess he needed to boost his ego living in boring Athens and coming from Pittsburgh. Anyway local "defined" culture goes to California because its has a much larger population that has been there for decades. Florida due to once being one of the least populated states to one of the most is transplant central... Even the third of the population that was born there are probably first generation, as I am, so I was influenced by my parents allegiances in some ways to where they were born, although after living there for almost 40 years now they identify as Floridians now in most ways. Add to this the fact that Florida has always had a lower birthdate, almost a 100 million tourists, and a large part time population it causes local culture to be underdeveloped and not to be as prominent as other states, but this is changing because despite all the aforementioned characteristics that are pretty unique to Florida, there's a large enough population of native FL people, many 1st generation, that are organically making FL culture and more prominent in the sea of transplants and tourists.
Athens GA isn't boring at all!! It produced R.E.M! Its a well refined college town! But then again NO JOBS FOR NORMAL PEOPLE! LOL. I investigated Athens and all I found was a nice music scene but too many young kids. It would suck being older there I think. Kinda like Auburn CA does just with the college kid and good music vibe but soon could find out that you're too old to be around college kids and you'd get depressed probably and be upset you aren't meeting any like yourself. I'd seriously rather be in Savannah by far or St Pete FL. Overall the SE is the way to go, just not Athens or anywhere with too much emphasis on a college scene. Perhaps Knoxville might be good as theres other offerings but Athens would surely get depressing after awhile I'd think.

As far as CA and local culture yes CA does have more local culture I feel and even amongst the Okies who settled there.. I don't like the scene though amongst the locals as much though. To me some of them are truly no different or worse than the FL crackers because they keep more to themselves. I'd deal with a FL redneck before a CA redneck myself. At least the FL one will level with you more and be real if he doesn't want you around.

FL in the future could develop a local culture indeed. Some areas more than others though. Bradenton probably not though as many transplants pass through there. Sarasota a little more so. Orlando probably even more so. Orlando seems to have the most local culture in FL.. comparable maybe to Sacramento in California and even L.A and SF have more but truth is, they aren't better places to live. I'd give South Beach a shot before SF oh and Miami also seems to have a good local culture. FL is just taking longer but its going to blossom into a pleasant surprise for people as time goes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
California has a well-defined state culture with many local spin-offs. The culture of California is unifying, too--people in Bakersfield and Fresno, believe it or not, will probably have something in common with people in LA, Sacramento, or Redding from a cultural standpoint. When people move to California, they assimilate and become Californians.

Florida, OTOH, has one of the least definable state cultures of any state in the country because of two reasons: 1) it's very transient (people constantly moving in and out, mostly due to the criminal/runaway/working-class element it attracts), and 2) almost everyone who moves to Florida brings the culture of their home state and/or city with them, failing to assimilate to create/nurture a homegrown state culture. It's been like this for years, too. For example, the part of Florida in which I lived for years could have passed as Long Island--thick NY accents, pizza/bagel joints, and NYY hats/shirts/decals abound. However, if you drove an hour south, you'd think you were in Colombia or Venezuela. Someone in Miami will most likely have nothing in common with someone in Tallahassee, Pensacola, or even Fort Myers. At the end of the day, there's simple nothing that's culturally defining nor unifying in Florida.

With regard to the transience issue, Florida is much more transient than California, the latter of which is home to tons of natives, especially LA/LB (to my surprise, actually), hence the reason why there's way more state pride in California than in Florida. People in Florida are prouder to be from somewhere else or the children of transplants from elsewhere than to be from Florida. They're also more likely to move on after a few years whereas most people who move to California and esp. those born there never leave. I lived in Florida for years, and I wouldn't be able to pick out the state flag if you were holding a loaded gun to my head. OTOH, I knew what the California state flag looked like by Day 2--speaks volumes, IMO.
This diversity is like no other. You can have Southern cracker culture in the panhandle, have more local home grown Orlando culture also, A Cuban vibe in Ybor City in Tampa, and in St Pete have it be completely bohemian and that's in the TB area too and pretty people everywhere in South Beach with lots of Caribbean and Hispanic Cuban places and cigar factories. Much more diversity in FL than in CA which is summed up of larger races and even lesser culture like Asian, black, Mexican, white. Nothing else and really doesn't feel too diverse as people stick to their own groups and you can only tolerate so much Mexican, Vietnamese and thai food. Black restaurants are non existent in CA or a homegrown southern food culture so ya, the diversity is pretty damn high for a state where most transplants and children of transplants take pride in other places. There is local culture also, you just have to look and find it. St Pete has some. And despite being segregated,

I feel blacks and whites in FL commonly talk to one another in day to day life, not parade one on their arms just to not look racist like in Sacramento or SF. The PC bs is higher in CA. While FL may have liberals in some places, you tend to know where to go and where not to. What places are leftist, what areas are truly bad and to avoid, its not some big moderate hell where you don't know where to go and where not to like Sacramento tends to be. You know week to week a drum circle full of hippies are happening, you go if you're interested, if not, find a place with more of a "clubbing" vibe. I can assure you FL has more defined diversity than a lot of CA especially Northern California which is bland for the most part.

Also, since I am displaced in CA, I live here that's about it. I can never and will not call myself a Californian. Its just not me. Its probably why it seems so alien. I have an inability to do it. I am like what most say people are when they locate to FL.. someone who keeps their old culture. I actually feel more people have to act local in FL for it to thrive more... not be like CA at all but be more localized like Californians are and then it can fully take off and people would act like a team even more. But considering all this, you can meet many nice people in FL still.. in CA neighbors don't even talk to eachother. You have to keep looking at them for anyone to say hi and who knows, they might just be scared but I don't find CA to be friendly at all and not friendly from a neighbor standpoint also.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:45 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,116,808 times
You won't get 6 posts in a row! Not on my watch! Please continue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City