Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Regional friendliness
Northeast 20 19.23%
Southeast 31 29.81%
Midwest 41 39.42%
West Coast 12 11.54%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 03:05 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,412 times

Advertisements

I personally find people in the Northeast are the friendliest. I find it to be to be a balanced friendliness. People general have a balanced temperaments with each other. Generally people in the Northeast are more sociable than I've found in other regions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 03:08 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
The Southeast. Baltimore is pretty friendly

Old 05-24-2014, 03:12 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,929,815 times
Hard to say, there is no right answer-for visitors/tourists I wouldn't say the Northeast but on a day to day basis I probably would.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:17 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
Not to come across as a complainer or anything but where on Earth do cities like Denver, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, as well as Texas and Oklahoma fit into the poll choices? Texas and Oklahoma aren't neither culturally nor geographically the "Southeast". Denver, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City are all well over half a day or longer from any sort of coastline, not to mention some of them are well past a thousand miles away from the coast and they don't exactly fit the "Southeast, Northeast, or Midwest" labels either.

Anyhow to answer the question, Colorado and Texas, by my experience. New Yorkers as well, though it feels weird listing this, since people seem to harp on the idea, but to me, it's been true friendliness. As well as San Diego for big cities.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 05-24-2014 at 04:24 PM..

Old 05-24-2014, 06:59 PM

69 posts, read 174,936 times
Whichever region has the most red states would be the most friendly region in my opinion. So I chose the Southeast region.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:06 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I personally find people in the Northeast are the friendliest. I find it to be to be a balanced friendliness. People general have a balanced temperaments with each other. Generally people in the Northeast are more sociable than I've found in other regions.
This is the northeast of the USA we're talking about, right?

I feel like people in the northeast tend to be quite closed off, in general, especially to outsiders.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:14 PM

10,747 posts, read 23,809,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
This is the northeast of the USA we're talking about, right?

I feel like people in the northeast tend to be quite closed off, in general, especially to outsiders.
They're not that bad. Break the ice with them and they are some of the warmest genuine people around. All it takes is a bit of witty sarcasm. Yes they can be a bit standoffish for sure in many moments, but I don't feel like that negates the fun, friendly, and wickedly good people of the Northeast. That's my experience there anyway.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:22 PM

10,747 posts, read 23,809,943 times
Well, the Southwest wasn't a poll option, but I find New Mexico to be a very friendly state. It's very live and let live here for the most part. I like that it has old school natives and characters and lots of transplants but I rarely feel like an outsider here and feel pretty welcomed.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:53 PM

304 posts, read 324,833 times
OK my perspective. I was born in the Northeast, but have lived nearly an equal amount of time in the Southeast. My father was a Navy officer so we moved a lot. Anyway, I think these kind of questions are impossible to answer. No region of the country has a lock on the market of "friendliest", IMO. But over the years I have heard generalized stereotypes of the all regions.

The Northeast - Busy, fast paced, people are sometimes too direct, in your face. "They don't suffer fools." Tough growing up, mentally strong, a melting pot of cultures that can lead to friction.
The Midwest - Farmers daughters, very protective of family, charming in culture, generally nice and often laid back in demeanor.
The South - Laid back, "southern hospitality", simple people, slower paced life, dull in the "sticks", weary of outsiders, especially "Yankees." Still fighting issues of racism and bigotry.
The West - California coast and deserts, too liberal, too soft, laid back demeanor, hippies, wannabe hippies, people are too vain, full of themselves, a culturally and diverse mecca that is generally more accepting of vastly different lifestyles. Pacific Northwest folks are charming, creative, innovative, and cool.

Anyway as is often the case some of these stereotypes are true, many of them are not. There are friendly people in all regions, but I do agree with others that have said every region is unique and sometimes breaking down the barriers that divide us is hard, but it can be done.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:56 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,355,382 times
LMAO, Baltimore is NOT the Southeast! Alabama, Florida, GEORGIA ok
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City