Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Canadian cities similar to American cities?
Yes, they are... 104 62.65%
No, they aren't... 62 37.35%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 08:48 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
As you say, most Canadians pay little attention to their country's history. This fact has little to do with whether a particular event was important or not.
That's what I was saying, as well.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:17 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
That's what I was saying, as well.
I actually see it as an unfortunate truth.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:31 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You basically just proved that there is no direct correlation between a) the significance (or lack thereof) of these events and b) the fact that most Canadians have never heard of them.

As you say, most Canadians pay little attention to their country's history. This fact has little to do with whether a particular event was important or not. They ignore the important stuff just as much as the banal.
Yes I admitted that and also said that spoke to something greater about us than the actual event in the here and now. Not really sure if you read all my posts. We have a lot of interesting history but we don't play it up like other countries and we should. Anyway I am open minded and always willing to learn new things and unlike some this is not a platform for me to have to 'win'

Old 06-26-2014, 06:52 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,450,054 times
Fusion 2.

Here are two suggestions of books that you may find interesting. Both are written by Canadian authors.

The Last Invasion Of Canada. http://www.amazon.ca/The-Last-Invasi.../dp/1550020854

Canadians in the American Civil War, by Claire Hoy. http://www.amazon.ca/Canadians-In-Th.../dp/1552784509

Both are available as used books, at reduced prices, on line.

Jim B. Toronto.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Fusion 2.

Here are two suggestions of books that you may find interesting. Both are written by Canadian authors.

The Last Invasion Of Canada. http://www.amazon.ca/The-Last-Invasi.../dp/1550020854

Canadians in the American Civil War, by Claire Hoy. http://www.amazon.ca/Canadians-In-Th.../dp/1552784509

Both are available as used books, at reduced prices, on line.

Jim B. Toronto.
Thanks Jim appreciate the info!

Old 06-26-2014, 12:39 PM

915 posts, read 1,504,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Refer also to my other post before this.

And I'm a little confused by what you mean as the super dense NYC-DC-Boston-corridor. The space in between the cities (such as in New Jersey, Connecticut) are very low density suburbs and exurbs. residential areas amidst woods).

Keep in mind you are using Detroit as your American city reference point. Just about the least vibrant, clean, walkable, transit friendly city in the country. Detroit is not the norm for the US.
Yes, I realize that Detroit is not the norm for the US.

It's not even the norm in Michigan.

I'm not sure how it can be confusing. Traveling Interstate 95, you don't see a lot of cornfields and plains. It's built up unlike a lot of the areas in the MidWest. These cities seem to go on and on and on. Honestly, I haven't traveled extensively in this area, but I remember being struck by how much stuff and people are packed into this tiny area of the universe.

You can drive the Al-Can and hardly see another car or anything but trees and mountains. This is what I think of when I think of "low-density."

It's all about perspective.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:10 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
Yes, I realize that Detroit is not the norm for the US.

It's not even the norm in Michigan.

I'm not sure how it can be confusing. Traveling Interstate 95, you don't see a lot of cornfields and plains. It's built up unlike a lot of the areas in the MidWest. These cities seem to go on and on and on. Honestly, I haven't traveled extensively in this area, but I remember being struck by how much stuff and people are packed into this tiny area of the universe.

You can drive the Al-Can and hardly see another car or anything but trees and mountains. This is what I think of when I think of "low-density."

It's all about perspective.
Well, I-95 is on the extreme end of population density for the US, while the Al-Can is on the extreme low end for Canada. Neither are considered average for the country.

If you were to compare the Toronto-Montreal corridor to I-95, or the Al-Can to I-90/94 through Dakotas/Wyoming, Montana, or the drive from Anchorage to Fairbanks the US counterpart would still feel more populated, but those would be at least comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Well, I-95 is on the extreme end of population density for the US, while the Al-Can is on the extreme low end for Canada. Neither are considered average for the country.

If you were to compare the Toronto-Montreal corridor to I-95, or the Al-Can to I-90/94 through Dakotas/Wyoming, Montana, or the drive from Anchorage to Fairbanks the US counterpart would still feel more populated, but those would be at least comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges.
Yeah or perhaps she should drive on the part of the 401 going through Toronto which is the busiest highway in N.A - all about perspective.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:10 AM

915 posts, read 1,504,610 times
I have driven the 401 going through Toronto. (Sigh)

In the end, I like Canadian cities better than American cities because the people tend to be nicer and I don't worry so much about my safety.

I "like" Chicago, but I think Toronto is FABULOUS!!! I'd consider moving there if I didn't like being an American and wanted to move to a place snowier than the one I already live in. I'd choose Toronto any day over Chicago or Minneapolis or DC. And any of these over Detroit (like that's a hard decision).

The question was "Are Canadian cities like American cities" and I'd say No. They are better in a lot of ways, which is I enjoy visiting them a lot more than I like visiting American cities.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
I have driven the 401 going through Toronto. (Sigh)

In the end, I like Canadian cities better than American cities because the people tend to be nicer and I don't worry so much about my safety.

I "like" Chicago, but I think Toronto is FABULOUS!!! I'd consider moving there if I didn't like being an American and wanted to move to a place snowier than the one I already live in. I'd choose Toronto any day over Chicago or Minneapolis or DC. And any of these over Detroit (like that's a hard decision).

The question was "Are Canadian cities like American cities" and I'd say No. They are better in a lot of ways, which is I enjoy visiting them a lot more than I like visiting American cities.
Well then, you completely redeemed yourself in my eyes lol ...As for the 401 through Toronto it is painful driving it.... too busy most of the time and I always contemplate just parking in the ditch and walking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City