Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city should the USOC select for the 2024 Summer Olympics?
Boston 13 16.25%
Los Angeles 27 33.75%
San Francisco 21 26.25%
Washington DC 19 23.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 08:26 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,627,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
If you're expecting the olympics to help a city who's in financial trouble, you may have the wrong idea about what they do economically...often it's a heavy economic burden. It nearly ruined Montreal.
The Hell with it then, keep it away from my city.
San Francisco can have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 09:18 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,166,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
Bring it to St.Louis.
We need the money.
That's the reason we don't want it here. Personally I think DC would be the best host though

Old 06-13-2014, 09:33 PM

133 posts, read 192,340 times
The US doesn't typically have the same financial hardship as host cities in other countries. We tend to use pre-existing facilities more and use almost all private money to pay for it...as opposed to other countries who use almost all public funds. It's about time the Olympics come back to the United States. DC would be a great location

Old 06-13-2014, 09:59 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
If you're expecting the olympics to help a city who's in financial trouble, you may have the wrong idea about what they do economically...often it's a heavy economic burden. It nearly ruined Montreal.
Did it really do that much financial damage to Montreal?

Old 06-13-2014, 10:04 PM

133 posts, read 192,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Did it really do that much financial damage to Montreal?
Yes, the city was in debt for over 30 years

Old 06-13-2014, 10:42 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Voted DC for silly selfish reasons. It almost seems now that no one truly wants the burden of an Olympics in their backyard. DC could handle it, but not sure if we want it. I actually honestly feel SF might be the logical best option based on summer weather and that Bay Area topography cannot be matched. I guess SF is the most "Rio de Janeiro like" in terms of topography and the terrain of the 4 options if that's what the committee is looking for. LA has hosted twice already so please spare me.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:27 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,186,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Seriously. All the host city gets is 5 minutes of fame and a huge bill.

Although it's nice to be considered, I'm hoping they pass on Boston for this reason.
AND an incredible surge in population and popularity, it seems. Look at Atlanta, Salt Lake City and Vancouver (Canada, I know) for recent examples of cities that have boomed after hosting an Olympics.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:30 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
Quote:
Yep! It's actually quite insane - that's why picking a city that already has the infrastructure, arenas, etc is important. The problem with LA is their mass transit system basically - it's improving but there's no way in hell the Olympic committee nowadays would be OK with it. I remember them dinging Chicago because of the train system and they didn't think the capacity would be big enough even with expansions, which is much bigger than LA's and has a higher ridership still by a lot. It was still heavily scrutinized. Maybe in 2020 it would be better, but I think it would still be scrutinized. I don't think any of the NA cities wouldn't get dinged on that. All the cities are lacking on that and have bad traffic too,. Boston and DC are the best of the four in regards to transit options. LA is probably best for already having a number of venues built already, though all of them do have their fair share of venues to pick from too.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:36 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,328,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
The people who voted for SF are clearly biased and wish the city harm. Dear IOC, please skip the U.S. and instead just continue to rape developing countries.
As much as I hate to admit that I agree with this....I agree with this. Not that we should let them rape developing countries (Russia, UK, Canada, China, and Italy aren't "developing"...)...but I simply don't think it is worth the expense. Too much seems to be put on creating a lavish show....which is nice...but ultimately unnecessary IMO. The venues don't need to be *nice* or new...just safe.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:24 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,156,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Seriously. All the host city gets is 5 minutes of fame and a huge bill.

Although it's nice to be considered, I'm hoping they pass on Boston for this reason.
Not the US. American Olympics are very commercialized (draw some criticism for this) but as a result they have been profitable in the last thirty years. The past three American Games were in the black (LA, ATL, SLC), and Chicago's losing bid six years ago was also planned to be profitable.

Cost of the Olympic Games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Certainly with the examples set by Athens, Beijing, London, Sochi, etc, that might no longer be likely but still possible. Just don't build useless stadiums or housing...make sure everything is temporary or can be repurposed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City