Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Richmond VA 152 54.29%
Raleigh NC 128 45.71%
Voters: 280. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 11:33 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,030,165 times

Advertisements

I like the different and diverse urban areas of Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) and the progressiveness of the area as compared to Richmond. Raleigh seems to have a brighter future with its technology sector and major universities and is growing much faster than Richmond.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 04-27-2015 at 11:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 11:45 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,966,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Raleigh seems to be a little more on the trendy side, and meaning no disrespect but I saw tons of preppy young people (right out of college, probably) the last time I went to North Hills. I guess this is the direction Raleigh is heading, along with attracting all the families wishing to settle down in suburban areas further out (North Raleigh, Cary, etc). It has been growing like crazy, but like I said, I'm getting tired of the nonstop suburban sprawl so I wish the growth rates would slow down a tad. I keep seeing wooded areas being plowed down for apartment complexes/subdivisions/strip malls and I can't stand it, I don't want to see the Triangle turn into Northern Virginia or Atlanta.
I don't like the sprawl at all but I do like the increased urban development. I just wish there were more of a focus on affordable urban housing inside the beltline but I can envision it turning into a rich kids only club, like many other southern cities that revitalized their downtowns.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:50 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,490,287 times
I agree, and I'm sure that'll happen but at least it's better than nonstop suburban sprawl. Downtown Raleigh has been cleaned up for new urban housing, they just constructed SkyHouse and I'm sure more will pop up in the future (probably some around North Hills).

Old 04-27-2015, 05:53 PM

797 posts, read 1,429,611 times
Do tell about these different and diverse urban areas of Raleigh compared to Richmond @Joe Tarheel

Old 04-27-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
Do tell about these different and diverse urban areas of Raleigh compared to Richmond @Joe Tarheel
I think I listed them if you would read thoroughly...Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill are all different and diverse urban areas within the Raleigh metro area. I don't know of anything in Richmond comparable to these three areas. Get it?

Old 04-28-2015, 03:46 AM

830 posts, read 1,017,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I think I listed them if you would read thoroughly...Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill are all different and diverse urban areas within the Raleigh metro area. I don't know of anything in Richmond comparable to these three areas. Get it?
I like the fact that in Richmond you can enjoy various urban districts and cool neighborhoods close-in without having to travel 30 miles across a wide sprawling area to do so. Richmond has many varied historic districts with their own conveniences, shops, restaurants and local energy. From Church Hill, the Fan District, Uptown and Carytown, and the Libbie and Grove area also known as Westhampton to Bon Air and Ashland which are further out. It's proof positive that the Raleigh and Richmond are quite different. Like it's been pointed out, the focus in Raleigh is on its fast growing, convenient, and largely family-oriented suburbs, and in Richmond, it's the urban core itself which has seen growth and has a different kind of vibrancy.

Of course, there are the Tri-Cities (Petersburg, Hopewell and Colonial Heights) which are actually in the Richmond area, but Richmond's uniqueness is still in its core and nearer locales.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
I like the fact that in Richmond you can enjoy various urban districts and cool neighborhoods close-in without having to travel 30 miles across a wide sprawling area to do so. Richmond has many varied historic districts with their own conveniences, shops, restaurants and local energy. From Church Hill, the Fan District, Uptown and Carytown, and the Libbie and Grove area also known as Westhampton to Bon Air and Ashland which are further out. It's proof positive that the Raleigh and Richmond are quite different. Like it's been pointed out, the focus in Raleigh is on its fast growing, convenient, and largely family-oriented suburbs, and in Richmond, it's the urban core itself which has seen growth and has a different kind of vibrancy.

Of course, there are the Tri-Cities (Petersburg, Hopewell and Colonial Heights) which are actually in the Richmond area, but Richmond's uniqueness is still in its core and nearer locales.
I didn't say that I liked the different urban downtown areas of Raleigh, but that it makes Raleigh unique when compared to Richmond. No need to get offended. Intown neighborhoods aren't the same as having 3 distinct/diverse/urban downtowns.

The core cities of Raleigh are growing as well...and the Tri-cities you mentioned aren't on the same scale as the Triangle cities.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:12 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post

This is true. The urban core of Richmond is more urban than that of Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill combined so you get a much different flavor there with more character. That simply can't be denied.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:55 PM

797 posts, read 1,429,611 times
You may or may not have listed them, but can we see some pics or get an explanation just curious.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
You may or may not have listed them, but can we see some pics or get an explanation just curious.
I'll list them again: Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill...three diverse urban areas of the Triangle. Get it?

I don't believe I need to search for and post photos just because you aren't familiar with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City