Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The following city has the greatest influence on the rest of the U.S.A...
New York City 502 68.30%
Los Angeles 233 31.70%
Voters: 735. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 01:44 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,095,281 times

Advertisements

That picture basically speaks for itself. As u can clearly see, new york is very well connected and transportation is very abundant. Idk but bronx,brooklyn,queens may have better transportation than some cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 01:49 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,023,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
That picture basically speaks for itself. As u can clearly see, new york is very well connected and transportation is very abundant. Idk but bronx,brooklyn,queens may have better transportation than some cities
Dont forget the Taxis, Buses, and the Ferries and Water Taxis. And the commuter rails that go through them.

Metro North

LIRR
http://www.mta.info/lirr/images/lirr.gif (broken link)

Old 06-28-2009, 02:41 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,478,887 times
Quote:
Why are people from la keep saying nyc is not a cohesive unit. We already established that la county is bigger than the city of new york. A borough is like 5 minutes from one another. Queens and brooklyn are directly connected i dont understand
I gotta agree with ya. NYC is definitely 1 cohesive unit. I think they're just throwing back in your face the talking down some of you guys have done about LA. I don't fully agree with the whole LA county vs. NYC thing, but in part it is just being realistic. NYC's borders effectively encompass what is actually the City and include some very suburban area like most of Staten Island and much of Queens.

If the borders were redrawn to include within LA's borders what is commonly called "LA" and what LA residents and visitors have access to when they're in LA, it would be a much fairer comparison. Many of the places/things mentioned earlier in this thread lie just outside of LA's official city limits, but they're still as much a part of LA as what exists within. Anything from Beverly Hills to Compton is as much "LA" as Hollywood is. So there is SOME merit to this argument. I just don't think all of LA County should necessarily qualify as LA city. Especially when the City of LA is already larger land-wise than NYC. If we're going to argue in favor of a fair comparison it should be fair to both sides.

There is something to what was being brought up in regards to the 5 counties for 1 city thing since each borough could effectively be its own major city, but LA County vs. NYC is just disproportionate. The population size is not as important in such a comparison IMO, so there's no need to bring in the parts of LA County that are not truly part of one cohesive unit the way that NYC is.

Quote:
Queens I think could use quite a bit of improvement in the public transportation department, but NYC is w/o a doubt very well connected.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:49 PM

765 posts, read 1,861,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
Dont forget the Taxis, Buses, and the Ferries and Water Taxis. And the commuter rails that go through them.

Metro North

LIRR
I swear to God, NY's transit system (MTA) is so massive...it makes other cities' transit systems look like bike routes

Old 06-29-2009, 11:19 AM

804 posts, read 2,403,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Here you go. For someone that resides in Hollywood you would think that you would know that hollywood is a district in LA....
Hollywood, Los Angeles, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Venice, Los Angeles, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Places like Pasadena are not part of LA they are independant cities that are in LA County.
Pasadena, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is there anything else in my post that you need me to clear up?
I read your post wrong I knew this. Anyway I denounce you for ever being a Angeleno cause I never seen anyone that ever lived in LA just talk down about their hometown like you.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:34 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,538,013 times
Well I have to vote for New York, but I'm staying out of the line of fire.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:26 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,850,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
I gotta agree with ya. NYC is definitely 1 cohesive unit. I think they're just throwing back in your face the talking down some of you guys have done about LA. I don't fully agree with the whole LA county vs. NYC thing, but in part it is just being realistic. NYC's borders effectively encompass what is actually the City and include some very suburban area like most of Staten Island and much of Queens.

If the borders were redrawn to include within LA's borders what is commonly called "LA" and what LA residents and visitors have access to when they're in LA, it would be a much fairer comparison. Many of the places/things mentioned earlier in this thread lie just outside of LA's official city limits, but they're still as much a part of LA as what exists within. Anything from Beverly Hills to Compton is as much "LA" as Hollywood is. So there is SOME merit to this argument. I just don't think all of LA County should necessarily qualify as LA city. Especially when the City of LA is already larger land-wise than NYC. If we're going to argue in favor of a fair comparison it should be fair to both sides.

There is something to what was being brought up in regards to the 5 counties for 1 city thing since each borough could effectively be its own major city, but LA County vs. NYC is just disproportionate. The population size is not as important in such a comparison IMO, so there's no need to bring in the parts of LA County that are not truly part of one cohesive unit the way that NYC is.

Queens I think could use quite a bit of improvement in the public transportation department, but NYC is w/o a doubt very well connected.
For the most part Jman650 I agree, however there is one thing that I want to bring up. We were OK for places like Compton and Beverly Hills being used in the comparison until they were discounting all boroughs other than Manhattan. I was the one that actually started calling them out for using seperate cities because of that fact. So i would say that it was us giving it back to them. I also think that Queens may need a couple of more lines but it is very well served by the NYC subway.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:30 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,850,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
I read your post wrong I knew this. Anyway I denounce you for ever being a Angeleno cause I never seen anyone that ever lived in LA just talk down about their hometown like you.
Ok, I don't care if you 'denounce" me as an angelino. I've lived in NYC for many years now and don't see leaving in my near future if ever. I love NYC so there you go. I didn't start the tone losangelesnightmare and j100 did. I just gave it right back. I believe that LA can't hold a candle to NYC in most categories and this is definately one of those categories.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:48 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,282,327 times
The truth hurts--I know!

LAC 11,000,000

nyc 8,000,000

YouTube - TOO SHORT - Blow The Whistle

YouTube - Kam - Where I Come From

Old 06-29-2009, 10:52 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,282,327 times
How is the ny subway system influential on the USA? That makes no sense other than to toot your own claustrophobic and neurotic horns.

Meanwhile, LOS ANGELES'S freeway legacy is literally on the map!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City