Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro area is a better place to live?
Detroit Metro Area 55 53.92%
Phoenix Metro Area 47 46.08%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 09:06 AM

555 posts, read 862,229 times

Advertisements

Bring on the Phoenix hate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 10:51 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Which is I'm sure all you've ever done in regards to Detroit.

Look, this is clearly a troll thread and I'm not touching that poll. But Detroit is an underrated city on a slow upswing. Phoenix, to me personally, would be the worst major metro in the country to live. The weather is the opposite of what I like, the layout is the opposite of what I like, the region has never called my name and the culture is faceless. For most people, they'll easily take Phoenix, but for me and I'm sure a small % of people, I'd much rather live in Detroit. Great people there, too, already have a bunch of friends in the D.
HOW is this a troll thread? Jesus....any city vs. city thread can be labeled as a troll thread, for that matter.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:16 PM

211 posts, read 299,386 times
At least from a weather perspective, Phoenix wins hands down. 105 with dry heat is more pleasant than anything below 30 degrees or anything above 90+ in Detroit.
Most people have to work, in Michigan once you get home the temperature drops even further so you can't go outdoors. At least in Phoenix you can enjoy some outdoor space after work when the temperatures cool down a bit.

Detroit still has a large problem attracting young talent. A lot of people would rather take jobs that are similar or lower paying than live in the metro Detroit area. You only live once.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:33 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfactor85 View Post
At least from a weather perspective, Phoenix wins hands down. 105 with dry heat is more pleasant than anything below 30 degrees or anything above 90+ in Detroit.
Most people have to work, in Michigan once you get home the temperature drops even further so you can't go outdoors. At least in Phoenix you can enjoy some outdoor space after work when the temperatures cool down a bit.

Detroit still has a large problem attracting young talent. A lot of people would rather take jobs that are similar or lower paying than live in the metro Detroit area. You only live once.
Yeah but places like Phoenix feel like they're in development and under construction. I hate that. I like places that feel more established and developed and not chock full of transplants. You know?

Old 08-27-2014, 02:31 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,831 times
Quote:
None of this is at all true, for me at least. I do stuff outside all winter, but once it goes above 80 I can't stand being outside. With dryer air, maybe 85, but that's still miserable to me in terms of activities and that's a high Phoenix hits for a good % of the year. You are obviously unfamiliar with the north, as people spend lots of time out in the snow and ice. I'll take 30 degrees over 105 every single time.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:32 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
I hear the Detroit suburbs are nice like Bloomfield Hills and West Bloomfield. People speak about Detroit like its a third world country on City Data.. poor Detroit.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:44 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,606,364 times
Quote:

Um, no. There is hardly any weather in Detroit that would make me refuse to go outdoors, aside from during a lightning storm or a dangerous blizzard (which is only a few times per year). In Phoenix I would have zero interest in being outdoors in the summer. The... entire.... summer. In Detroit I could enjoy weather during all seasons for different reasons.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:52 PM

555 posts, read 862,229 times
How was this past winter?

Old 08-27-2014, 02:53 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,937 times
Quote:
In Phoenix, 105 with dry heat is late May/early June. From late June through early September not only do temps get quite a bit higher than that (I've seen it go as high as 124), but the summer monsoons can bring sweltering humidity into Phoenix, only adding to the heat index/real-feel.

When I lived in Phoenix, I had moved there from Houston. And there were always a few days in late summer when Phoenix could almost give Houston a run for it's money on humidity. Granted, the rest of the year dew points stay pretty low, but those 2 and a half months of hellish monsoon weather really kind of broke the deal for me. It's all a matter of personal preference, but I know that I would personally much rather deal with a Detroit winter than a Phoenix summer.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:16 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
In Phoenix, 105 with dry heat is late May/early June. From late June through early September not only do temps get quite a bit higher than that (I've seen it go as high as 124), but the summer monsoons can bring sweltering humidity into Phoenix, only adding to the heat index/real-feel.

When I lived in Phoenix, I had moved there from Houston. And there were always a few days in late summer when Phoenix could almost give Houston a run for it's money on humidity. Granted, the rest of the year dew points stay pretty low, but those 2 and a half months of hellish monsoon weather really kind of broke the deal for me. It's all a matter of personal preference, but I know that I would personally much rather deal with a Detroit winter than a Phoenix summer.
Well said. July and August here are putrid. Its hot AND humid. Granted, its not humidity youll find in Nashville, but its high enough to feel disgusting. The "dry heat" you hear so much about only really occurs in June. Seriously. The rest of the summer is pretty humid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City