Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2014, 11:13 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,877,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Wow that's pretty good when you consider Amazon didn't exist then and now is one of the world's largest companies. Why are you using 14 year old info.
Misunderstanding aside, you do realize Amazon would fall in under "Consumer Discretionary" in which Seattle is represented in the top 50 according to said link?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 11:20 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,053,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Misunderstanding aside, you do realize Amazon would fall in under "Consumer Discretionary" in which Seattle is represented in the top 50 according to said link?
Yeah, Seattle is actually 10th in the world for consumer discretionary. Minneapolis is 12th. Clearly both cities are major international players in two different sectors of the world economy. It is when you move from "major international player (my term)" to "important international player (again, my term)" that Minneapolis' economic diversity distinguishes itself.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:06 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,987,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaboyd1 View Post
Completely serious. Amazon and Microsoft alone employ more than 70,000 in the region at an average salary over $100,000.
And I'm completely serious when I state you have no idea what you are talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Seattle is great you guys, I don't even think that MSP is better, but they really aren't that different. I'm sorry if that rattles your homer chains.
Agreed.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:11 PM

274 posts, read 706,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Amazon and Microsoft combined have less revenue that the two largest companies headquartered in MN(combined). Do you even know the companies headquartered in the area to make that claim? Perhaps this will help:

List of companies based in Minneapolis

The largest company headquartered in the Twin Cities is private-Cargill which had more revenue than any Seattle based company. Which I have no idea why i'm stating that, because someone is going to come back with some other baseless emphatic statement that will be ignorant as f*** and the cycle will continue.

Seattle is great you guys, I don't even think that MSP is better, but they really aren't that different. I'm sorry if that rattles your homer chains.
Great. Amazon and Microsoft still create more high wage jobs in the Seattle are than Cargill and Target do. Those earners have far more impact on the local economy than some resources transaction hundreds or even thousands of miles away.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
And I'm completely serious when I state you have no idea what you are talking about.

Agreed.
Well, if ad hominem's the best you got this discussion is clearly over.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:13 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,987,830 times
Quote:
I'd be willing to bet Amazon and Microsoft alone employ more people in the Seattle area than those 18 do in the twin cities.
Quote:
Completely serious. Amazon and Microsoft alone employ more than 70,000 in the region at an average salary over $100,000.
Quote:
Great. Amazon and Microsoft still create more high wage jobs in the Seattle are than Cargill and Target do. Those earners have far more impact on the local economy than some resources transaction hundreds or even thousands of miles away.
Quote:
Well, if ad hominem's the best you got this discussion is clearly over.
Post your sources then we can have a discussion.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
For total employees among Global 2000 companies, Minneapolis ranks 12th in the world. Seattle ranks 41st.

Note that Seattle's economy is massively dependent upon only two economic sectors, while Minneapolis's economy is one of the most diverse in the world.
Those employee numbers are total employees working for the company period, not just in the respective HQ cities. There are not 1.1 million global 2000 employees working in the twin cities. No doubt that Minneapolis is have a more diversified economy. Seattle's specialization makes it prone to boom (now) and bust (will the last person leaving Seattle please turn off the lights?) cycles. It just happens to be on the upswing right now.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:38 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,053,429 times
Quote:
Those employee numbers are total employees working for the company period, not just in the respective HQ cities.
I don't recall suggesting otherwise.

Quote:
Seattle's specialization makes it prone to boom (now) and bust (will the last person leaving Seattle please turn off the lights?) cycles.
My point, exactly! History is filled with cities that have suffered immeasurably due to a lack of economic diversification. Detroit didn't expect the auto industry to collapse. Pittsburgh didn't plan on the steel industry going away. Cleveland, Milwaukee, and Buffalo were once robust manufacturing centers. Luckily, some of these cities are making a comeback by economically re-inventing themselves; but no one can argue against the fact that loss of predominant economic sectors was a massive setback for several American cities. Don't forget how much the state of Washington and organized labor gave to Boeing to keep 777X manufacturing in the Seattle area. I'm not suggesting that Minneapolis and Minnesota don't engage in the same corporate incentives. It's just that the MSP economy is diversified enough to not have to "give away the store" to keep a company located here.

The revenue being brought in to Minneapolis via Global 2000 companies is larger than that coming into Seattle. This allows for re-investment of revenue into the community, which is at least as important a factor in a city's economic health as is company-specific employment totals in that city.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:07 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,600,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
You seem to have quite a hard on for a company that doesn't even make a profit....

Amazon: Nearly 20 Years In Business And It Still Doesn't Make Money, But Investors Don't Seem To Care

Old 09-17-2014, 08:56 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,877,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
You seem to have quite a hard on for a company that doesn't even make a profit....

Amazon: Nearly 20 Years In Business And It Still Doesn't Make Money, But Investors Don't Seem To Care
Say what?

So it has to be "profitable" to be in the Consumer Discretionary category?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City