Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2014, 10:38 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,865,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Based on climate alone, Seattle wins.

MSP winters are humid and have a bone chilling Midwestern cold to them. Polar Vortex stuff.

Likewise the summers are hot and there are tons of mosquitoes (state bird).

Sure, it rains a lot in Seattle, but that's a small price to pay.

However in terms of culture/amenities, both are fantastic.
The winters here are dry, not humid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 11:39 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,975,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslette View Post
That's not true. This year was extremely wet and there was a lot of flooding, yet I still wouldn't say it rained every 3 days.
That's from Wikipedia's MSP climate chart, which shows an avg of 9.7-11.5 rainy days every month in the summer, or about 1 out of 3 days. Around a 70% chance of sunshine during the summer, or about 2 out of 3 days.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:07 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,629,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I disagree on the scenery...not even close.
I second that thought. The lakes in the Minneapolis area don't hold a candle to the dramatic scenery within, visible and easily accessible from Seattle.

And I will take the drizzle in winter in Seattle over the bitter cold and snow of Minneapolis. I have lived in the Seattle area for the past 5 years, but grew up not too far from Minneapolis (on the South Dakota/Minnesota border) so I know what those winters are like- absolutely miserable. Having the landscape turn brown and dead looking for half of the year is depressing- add to it the snow, and it is just miserable. I'll take a green landscape with grass and landscaping that looks nice even in winter and the rain or drizzle that goes with it any day over the alternative.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:14 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,629,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
What scenery is there actually in Seattle? Maybe 60 miles away, it's very scenic but the city itself and its suburbs? Not so much.
There is a LOT of scenery within Seattle itself. Lakes, the Puget Sound with spectacular mountain views, etc. Even moreso when you add in the suburbs- more lakes, hills, forests, and mountain views.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:07 PM

214 posts, read 300,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Based on climate alone, Seattle wins.

MSP winters are humid and have a bone chilling Midwestern cold to them. Polar Vortex stuff.

Likewise the summers are hot and there are tons of mosquitoes (state bird).

Sure, it rains a lot in Seattle, but that's a small price to pay.

However in terms of culture/amenities, both are fantastic.
Humid winters? Hardly. I have to use the humid humidifier that's part of my furnace all winter long to add humidity to the air in my house. The winter may be the coldest of all large US metros but its also pretty sunny.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:51 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,865,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
That's from Wikipedia's MSP climate chart, which shows an avg of 9.7-11.5 rainy days every month in the summer, or about 1 out of 3 days. Around a 70% chance of sunshine during the summer, or about 2 out of 3 days.
The main thing is, many of those "rainy" days (essentially any day when it precipitates at all, whether it be a 10 minute light mist or a downpour) are consecutive, so it isn't like it rains off and on every 3 days. There are periods where it is sunny for 6 days straight and then there is 1 day with some light mist followed by a rainy day and then one more with a slight amount of rain. So technically 3 days of rain, but really only 1 "rainy" day in my terms. That figure makes Minneapolis sound way rainier than it actually is.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:02 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,166,714 times
Seattle is better, but not by much. Weather and natural setting gives it about a half step, IMO.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:13 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,971,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo_golf_guy View Post
Humid winters? Hardly. I have to use the humid humidifier that's part of my furnace all winter long to add humidity to the air in my house. The winter may be the coldest of all large US metros but its also pretty sunny.
Does humidity even matter much in the winter? If it's below freezing the humidity is going to be extremely low no matter what in absolute terms. Now things like cloudiness and wind speed definitely do make a difference.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:43 AM

604 posts, read 1,522,494 times
Minneapolis has dry cold winters, compared to Seattle's wet chilly winters.

Personally for me (having lived in both locations at one time), I think that Seattle is a step above Minneapolis.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:44 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,534,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Does humidity even matter much in the winter? If it's below freezing the humidity is going to be extremely low no matter what in absolute terms. Now things like cloudiness and wind speed definitely do make a difference.
I agree with your point, but humidity does matter quite a bit in terms of temperature extremes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City