Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If cost wasn't a problem, where would you live?
California 32 74.42%
Colorado 11 25.58%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 07:42 PM

1 posts, read 7,172 times

Advertisements

I grew up in a small tourist town in Wisconsin, and now that I have graduated high school I really just want to get out of this town. I have visited both California and Colorado many times growing up, but I have no clue what it would be like to live in these states. I am applying to: CU Boulder, Colorado State University, Pepperdine (Malibu), UCLA, UC Santa Barbara, and UC Irvine. The school that I would like to attend the most would be UCLA but I doubt I would get in. Pepperdine and CU Boulder are my next top options but I don't know where to go from there. The cost of living in either state (sounding as non-snobby as possible) isn't too much of a worry. I always need to be doing something, and I love the thought of living in a city with so many interesting people and possibilities (I want to become a film director), but I have heard mixed emotions about California. I also love snowboarding and the "chill-ness" of Colorado. Please tell me your opinion on what you would do in my position. Any opinions would help me a lot, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 07:44 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,218,214 times
CA. You can still snowboard in CA. But can you get winter warmth and beaches in Colorado, just like you can in CA? Can you get massive urban areas like LA and the Bay Area teeming with culture, diversity, and activities? No. And if you want to be a film director, California, especially SoCal (and specifically, LA), is the place to be.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:35 PM

44 posts, read 147,666 times
Believe me, forget all the crap about beaches from California and move your ass to Colorado, you'll be happier there.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:21 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,226,596 times
She's not necessarily moving permanently.

If you were moving for a job, all things equal, I'd easily recommend CO. But school is different. ALL those schools in CA are good and you obviously don't have to stay in CA if you don't want to after you graduate (I didn't!). It's a nice state that offers a lot, especially when you're young. Colorado will still be there if CA isn't your cup of tea, which you'll know by the time you're done with schooling. I would recommend CA for this OP if she has the opportunity to go to any of those schools. Plus, I can almost guarantee Boulder will be as expensive as anywhere you're looking to go in CA. Boulder is facing a major housing crisis and it is resulting in ^^^ housing costs. I know you say it isn't a problem but I think it further illustrates the point I'm making .

BBC News - BBC Pop Up explores Boulder's affordable housing crisis

Food for thought.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:09 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,220,049 times
Considering its the Californians that are driving up the price of housing in Boulder (Denver not necessarily so), why recommend CA which is even worse for housing?

Old 10-02-2014, 08:28 PM

8,607 posts, read 14,908,526 times
The University of Nebraska has a film school. Lincoln's only about a 6.5 hour drive from Denver, and I'm guessing probably about a 10 to 12 hour drive from home. You could live like a king there, too.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:58 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,396,659 times
CA. Beach AND skiing.

Probably SoCal.

I have lived in WY and CO, loved it.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:00 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,527,358 times
CA but CO is a close second.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:01 PM

426 posts, read 1,736,922 times
Don't know much about California. I'm from Oshkosh but have been living in Denver for 5 years. Colorado is really been having it's day in the sun. It's doing very well.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:23 PM

31 posts, read 55,666 times
I love living in Colorado! When I was younger, I thought I wanted to move to California, but I have realized over the years just how much I appreciate my home state. Colorado is truly a magical place! Don't get me wrong, I have had a lot of great times in California, and it's a beautiful, diverse state. But my heart will always be in Colorado. Most of my friends who moved to California from Colorado have really regretted it, but a lot of people I know who moved here from California have zero regrets!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City