Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2012, 10:47 AM

256 posts, read 541,403 times

Advertisements

I am from Seattle area and because of weather want a move.

I can afford 300,000 and here are the places I looking at

Vail Colorado

suburbs in Denver

Park City Utah

Provo Utah

Palm Springs California

Flagstaff Arizona

Glendale Arizona

Best place to move to?

THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 11:10 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,412,165 times
Default I just went through this for the last 15 years!

I moved from Seattle in 1997 because I could not stand the weather. I ended up moving to Phoenix, Az first. I was there for 11 years. I can't explain how great it felt having the sun shine down on me every day. It was so warm and there are palm trees everywhere. I never had a day where I did not feel like doing anything because of the weather. Wow, was that a great experience. I went from one extreme to another.

In Seattle I would even get depressed sometimes but that went away very quickly when I got to Arizona. My whole attitude changed and I was motivated everyday because every day was a bright sunny day.

Well, after 11 years of that I finally got tired of the desert because there is no life there. it gets so hot in the summer that it really is unbearable, you don't even see a bird or even a housefly. there is nothing but a still dead silence. Also the only vegetation is dirt, rocks and an occasional sage brush or cactus. I ended up in Houson, Texas

If you can afford it I would suggest maybe California.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:19 AM

256 posts, read 541,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
I moved from Seattle in 1997 because I could not stand the weather. I ended up moving to Phoenix, Az first. I was there for 11 years. I can't explain how great it felt having the sun shine down on me every day. It was so warm and there are palm trees everywhere. I never had a day where I did not feel like doing anything because of the weather. Wow, was that a great experience. I went from one extreme to another.

In Seattle I would even get depressed sometimes but that went away very quickly when I got to Arizona. My whole attitude changed and I was motivated everyday because every day was a bright sunny day.

Well, after 11 years of that I finally got tired of the desert because there is no life there. it gets so hot in the summer that it really is unbearable, you don't even see a bird or even a housefly. there is nothing but a still dead silence. Also the only vegetation is dirt, rocks and an occasional sage brush or cactus. I ended up in Houson, Texas

Thanks you and me agree on the weather I mean WOW the weather is depressing.

The heat I think feels good but as long as even are nice no issues

Thanks alot

Old 11-09-2012, 01:01 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post

Ha. Not even a housefly. You can say that again. The heat is unbearable and it goes on for months. Nights are in the 90's! Doesn't go under 100 till late October. I'm in NY state, but a temporary move. At least it's not hot!!

Old 11-09-2012, 02:50 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,999,055 times
I would suggest adding Prescott, Arizona to the mix. It's a nice medium between Phoenix and Flagstaff. Much cooler in the summer than Phoenix, but not nearly as cold as Flagstaff in the winter. Does git a bit of snow, but not massive amounts of it like Flagstaff does.

It's very scenic and beautiful, has an interesting downtown area, is slightly larger than Flagstaff (metro pop, at least) and has almost everything you need. In the rare case it doesn't, it's an hour closer to Phoenix than Flagstaff is. Good spot to be in. Cheaper than Flagstaff, too!

Last edited by CodyW; 11-09-2012 at 03:01 PM..

Old 11-09-2012, 04:55 PM

12 posts, read 29,200 times
Why don't you considered living here in California folks? The weather here is definitely warm and dry in summer, mild and wet in winters. I think this is the perfect place for you folks.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:02 AM

111 posts, read 208,692 times
Default To: Gkfoury

California sounds beautiful and I've visited twice and fell in love . . . however, it is just so darn expensive to live there. Darn.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:55 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,979,340 times
Coming from Seattle which is a great city you're going to find a lot of these places a step below so to speak. Anyway here's my 2 cents:

Vail Colorado: Ski resort town that's very touristy. Probably not the best place for day to day living unless you love skiing in the winter. Obviously has cold winters.

suburbs in Denver: Great place to live. You have big city amenities and outdoor amenities within very close reach. Cold(sometimes very cold) winters but nice summers.

Park City Utah: Know nothing about it

Provo Utah: Close to Salt Lake City if you want big city amenities and close to great outdoor activities. Provo is very Mormon but that doesn't make it a bad place to live. Cold winters.

Palm Springs California: Palm Springs is kind of ehh. A lot of retirees inhabit Palm Springs. Unless you want that atmosphere it really isn't a very happening place to live. Warm winters/HOT summers.

Flagstaff Arizona: Flagstaff is just ok. It's very overcrowded and very cold in the winter. It is a mountain town at roughly 7000 ft elevation with a decent ski resort(if there's actually enough snow for it to open). Kind of a college town atmosphere with the University there being a influential part of the city. Phoenix is only 2 hours away if you want big city amenities.

Glendale Arizona: Glendale is a suburb(but independent city)that literally borders Phoenix. You will be part of a metro area with over 4 million and counting with plenty to do and see. It is nice and warm in the winter but the summers might make you miss the rain and oceanic climate in Seattle. That's how hot it gets and you'll be lucky if it cools off to 90 degrees at night. Glendale has nice areas and not so nice areas but overall is a decent city. If you don't want to live in Glendale there are a hosts of suburbs you can choose in the Greater Phoenix area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City