Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 01:11 PM

784 posts, read 2,265,936 times

Advertisements

I went over to the Chicago forum to check it out and noticed that they have a thread asking is "Chicago Gotham". It's kind of pretentious and arrogant if you ask me. For me, NY has always and will always be gotham. You make two movies in Chicago and they want to claim everything. I know from the originator of "Gotham", that Gotham was really NY, but only called it "Gotham" so that other cities could identify. He pulled the name from a NYC phonebook. I bet he is wishing he had called it NY now since so many cocky Chicagoins act like it is theirs now. I heard statements like, " Gotham has always been Chicago". What! I felt like I was in nevernever land. I mean seriously, ALWAYS been Chicago. Come on. Get real. Gotham if it is any city in this country it is NY. What is the deal with some Chicagoins arrogance lately?

Maybe there is a reason Hollywood is in LA, Wall Street, Broadway are in NY. Can you imagine if any of these things were in Chicago, we would never hear the end of it.

Anyway, God forbid anyone put a smaller statue of "the statue of liberty" in chicago, they would assume it and we would never hear the end of it.

I know it might seem like I am ranting. I usually sit back with anything Chicago vs NY and let others argue it out. I always give due respect to Chicago because it is a great city. But I feel like I've seen enough. Some people from Chicago are getting downright dellusional. Everyone in NY knows that "Gotham" is New York through and through. I just wish Chicagoins understood this.

Anyone feel a bit put off by the mighty arrogance of some "Chicagoins" trying to claim "Gotham"?

Who do you think Gotham is more like NY or Chicago?

Who do you NY'ers think is "Gotham"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 01:21 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
This is the first time I've ever heard of Chicagoans claiming "Gotham" as theirs. If you ask me (then again, I'm a native-born Brooklynite, and so I could conceivably be accused of bias), I don't care what they claim. Nobody anywhere on the planet can take anything away from New York City, so if Chicago wants to be called Gotham, they're free to go ahead. The next thing you know, Los Angeles will claim to be the birthplace of baseball!

Old 03-11-2009, 01:30 PM

^^^^I wish I could me more cordial. However, I have to admit. It bothers me how they claim it with such arrogance and total disregard of NY. when someone said, " Chicago has always been Gotham". I mean come on, get real. Who are you kidding? It's one thing to try to claim it now, which is still absurd in my eyes but to claim, that they have "always been". What is NY chump change. I guesss the original writer who created Gotham and based it entirely from NYC means nothing at all to many of those Chicagoins who are posting their drivel. I mean the originator of "Gotham city" himself got the damn name out of a NY phonebook. Yet, they so clearly and easily dismiss any of this on the Chicago board.
Whatever, I am sure I sound like I am ranting. I am just so tired of some Chicagoins arrogance on CD.......The arrogance of some (hint hint) is almost at new all time levels...

Old 03-11-2009, 01:45 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,093,809 times
Ya thats ridiculous. Beyond all this comic book stuff, new yorks actual official nick name is Gotham. So that kinda ends it right there

Where is the birthplace of baseball anyway?

Old 03-11-2009, 01:56 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,022,427 times
We are also Metropolis(Superman), and "NYC", lol, in Spiderman.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:02 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,082,631 times
Chicago ? Are you kidding ? That's just crazy. Everyone knows that Pittsburgh is the real Gotham City. Chicago ? Lauhghing my ass off.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:11 PM

^^^^^A lot of Chicagoins seem to think so. They claim they are Gotham like it is a fact and with such defiance. Go look at the first page of Chicago. I know anyone can claim anything but when it is done with such disregard for NY it rubs me very wrong.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
We are also Metropolis(Superman), and "NYC", lol, in Spiderman.

Apparently and lucky for us, Chicago is giving us that one, but in their minds, they appartently own "Gotham".......Not that any city can own anyplace fictional. I wouldn't really be arguing this however most people (outside of Chicago) know that "Gotham" and New York are the same, fictional or not.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:35 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Re "Chicago Gotham" --

Look at it this way, let them try and call themselves whatever they want. Their worst punishment is BEING IN CHICAGO. New Jersey is always trying to steal things from us too, be it a sports team or the entire Statue of Liberty.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:36 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick1 View Post
Apparently and lucky for us, Chicago is giving us that one, but in their minds, they appartently own "Gotham".......Not that any city can own anyplace fictional. I wouldn't really be arguing this however most people (outside of Chicago) know that "Gotham" and New York are the same, fictional or not.
Go vote in this poll! Those darned Chicago posers are ahead of us!

Which city was the best Gotham City?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City