Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 09:51 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
The Twin Cities has the most theater seats per capita outside of New York and the world-renowned Guthrie Theater. Believe it or not, the Twin Cities also has a thriving hip-hop scene, among several other genres (notably indie and folk rock). Prince alone has basically paved a purple path for the music industry here.
Very relative but I can tell you right now that it isn't nearly on the level of Houston. When it comes to music, it's simply a matter of taste as to which city will offer more.

Quote:
While Major League Soccer is technically a "major league sport", it's not nearly as popular or lucrative as the big four. Houston's enormous Hispanic population is a big driver of its MLS interest, no doubt.
Houstonians certainly aren't losing any sleep over their lack of a hockey team. There may technically be more money in the NHL, but hockey is hardly a big deal to anyone who doesn't live in the northern US or Canada. I can't even remember the last time I saw a hockey game on television. Soccer is the most popular sport in the world.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:59 PM

389 posts, read 596,020 times
Quote:
While Major League Soccer is technically a "major league sport", it's not nearly as popular or lucrative as the big four. Houston's enormous Hispanic population is a big driver of its MLS interest, no doubt.
Major League Soccer most certainly is a "major league sport." You made a false statement in your previous post, and I set the record straight. Now you must concede.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:01 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,088,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Very relative but I can tell you right now that it isn't nearly on the level of Houston. When it comes to music, it's simply a matter of taste as to which city will offer more.

It isn't? The Twin Cities are home to Atmosphere, Brother Ali, Doomtree, Dessa, P.O.S., Lizzo (oddly enough she relocated here from Houston), and several more. I suppose if you like mainstream hip hop, Houston is the better choice.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:03 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,290 times
Quote:
It isn't? The Twin Cities are home to Atmosphere, Brother Ali, Doomtree, Dessa, P.O.S., Lizzo (oddly enough she relocated here from Houston), and several more. I suppose if you like mainstream hip hop, Houston is the better choice.
Houston rap hasn't really been in the mainstream since the mid 00's. It's largely known for its underground scene which was very influential in the southern rap movement. Those Minneapolis rappers you listed seem to appeal only to a very small subgroup of rap fans. There is absolutely no real comparison between the two cities here. It's Houston by a mile.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
Major League Soccer most certainly is a "major league sport." You made a false statement in your previous post, and I set the record straight. Now you must concede.
Pardon? What "false statement" did I make? That MLS is technically a major league sport? Is that false?

Old 12-22-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Pardon? What "false statement" did I make? That MLS is technically a major league sport? Is that false?
You said Houston only had three major sports. Then you tried to say MLS is less of one than NHL.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
You said Houston only had three major sports. Then you tried to say MLS is less of one than NHL.
When I say "major league", I'm implying the big four (football, basketball, hockey, baseball). It has nothing to do with what I think is "less than".

Old 12-22-2014, 10:19 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times
Quote:
How is Houston better than Minneapolis in terms of cultural amenities? The Twin Cities has a thriving visual arts scene with world-class art museums, a much more vibrant music scene, the third-largest theater market in the country, all four major sports leagues (Houston doesn't), and it's also a major literary and publishing center. Being a metro only half the size of Houston, it punches at least at the same weight.
The HMNS and MFAH for example are world class and often host traveling exhibits from around the world that will only hit a few U.S. cities. We have memberships because that sort of thing is high on the "culture" list to us.

It's no lightweight in performing arts either.

I don't think I'd say the music scene is much less vibrant. It's definitely improved from several years ago.

Whatever might be lacking in literary/publishing is more than made up for in the science/medical and engineering disciplines and related research. The Texas Medical Center is the largest medical district in the world.

Now, I know around the country the view tends to be that Texas and its metros are backwards (with the exception of Austin, which by the way I think is way overrated/overhyped for the most part), so I get it.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:36 PM

Houston's Rice University ranks among the top universities. There are some great universities in Minneapolis, but there is no equivalent to Rice.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:32 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
jennifat, you really can't sleep on Houston.

Both places are very unique, and very different. But Houston is a beast now, about twice the size of the Twin Cities. There is massive wealth, growth and connectivity to the world there that MSP simply doesn't have. And that's not a bad thing, by any means. I would guess the quality of life (except for weather) may be superior in the Cities? For some, anyway.

Houston has been very well known for years as having excellent cultural assets though, just as Minneapolis has been. But Houston's are on higher scale, due to wealth and size.

I haven't been to Houston, but I have been to the Twin Cities. I loved it, but credit deserves to be given where it's due.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City