Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 09:40 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,550,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartfordd View Post
I don’t think I will be able to stay outside in short in 55 temps whether the sun is intense or not.
It really is hard to imagine if you are only used to humid cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 10:47 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,694,910 times
Quote:
I don’t think I will be able to stay outside in short in 55 temps whether the sun is intense or not.
People wear shorts and sandals when it’s much cooler than that. Probably not the most comfortable but you won’t die lol

Last edited by Mezter; 12-02-2018 at 11:12 PM..

Old 12-08-2018, 07:46 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,510,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Depends on what you consider worse. Denver gets more snow and is colder at night than NYC, but Denver is slightly warmer and considerably sunnier during the day. The humidity is lower here which can make it feel milder for some folks.
I agree with this. I prefer Denver's winters to NYC's. The only thing is the bone dry cold air that Denver's winters have dries my skin out really badly. I would be using a lot of lotion, lol. But it definitely varies from person to person what is considered "worse".

Old 12-08-2018, 08:42 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,125,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
The only thing is the bone dry cold air that Denver's winters have dries my skin out really badly. I would be using a lot of lotion, lol.
This is probably one of the worst things about Denver's winters. Even with lotion and humidifiers I'm still itchy!

The daytime highs are great in Denver, but the nightime lows suck because that kills our frost free days. NYC gets 220 frost free days. Denver gets 153. What that means is its brown for 2 more months in Denver than NYC.

It comes down to preference, if you care about green more or care about having nice daytime highs to get out and about in the winter.

Old 12-08-2018, 08:52 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Your call. I see people in shorts in CO anytime its above 40. Its hard to describe how the lack of humidity impacts the feel of temperature, both on the cold and hot side.
My family and I often ski in shorts at Steamboat, and quite comfortably. At those elevations, the sun seems to have more of a warming effect in the winter. It surprised me how forgiving winters in Denver can be.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:43 AM

160 posts, read 155,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
That is 25% more which is considerable.

The number of hours of sunshine is considerably higher in Denver, enough to contribute to several days a month.

The temperature range in Denver is much greater than NYC, so while it's likely to be (much) colder at night in Denver, it's also just as likely for it to warm up significantly during the day. Denver, due to it's elevation and proximity to mountains is likely to experience wide temperature swings on a day to day basis. Think 60s one day and below freezing the next.

I think you really have to experience a climate for the season to know what it's like. Some of this would come down to your preference. My guess is most people would say Denver is noticeably sunnier, and overall feels warmer.

Old 12-08-2018, 02:42 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,265,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
It really is hard to imagine if you are only used to humid cold.
Humid cold is actually milder than dry cold.

Old 12-08-2018, 03:06 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,827,261 times
Grew-up in Denver and then moved to KC, Mo. where I thought it would be warmer. By FAR, the dry cold and lack of humidity in Denver made it much more livable than Kansas City (probably worth about 20-degrees in wind chill factor).

I'm not as familiar with NYC, but, several online comparisons rate Denver as 20-percent more comfortable (?) - Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Been Florida for 45-years. IMO, it beats both NYC and Denver in the winter.

Last edited by Yac; 12-10-2018 at 01:27 AM..

Old 12-09-2018, 05:22 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Been Florida for 45-years. IMO, it beats both NYC and Denver in the winter.
Gee, ya think?

Old 12-09-2018, 08:07 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Short in 55 ???
And Denver winter weather isn’t much more sunny than NYC one. In January and February, It’s about 160 hours vs 200 hours...
Yes shorts at 55 in mid day winter sunshine here in Albuquerque too. ABQ and Denver are both a mile up in altitude. High altitude balmy mid day sunshine makes a discernable difference in the warmth of the day. It has to be experienced to be understood. Denver winters have more warmer and balmier days. Once the sun goes down, the temperature drops very fast and nights are chillier on average than NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City