Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2023, 10:59 AM

12,897 posts, read 18,751,931 times

Advertisements

“How Charleston Became the Nation’s #1 Destination City”

“Charleston’s repeated appearance at the top of the favorite city list since 2013 may come as a surprise to some, but after taking a close look at what the city has to offer, it’s no shock at all. From the food to culture and style, Charleston is always sporting something new and exciting!

“Much of Charleston’s charm comes from its ability to balance a robust history with the intense demands of modernity. In refurbishing much of its foundation after the Civil War, Charleston inadvertently preserved decades of historical buildings, forts, and monuments that are favorite sites for tourists to visit today. While this part of the city remains firm in its place, Charleston as a whole is an innovative city with some of the most renowned restaurants and cultural centers in the modern day. This track record for innovation has led to the city being named one of the top 25 art destinations by AmericanStyle magazine.

“Over the years, Charleston has proven itself to be an ever-changing city with the introduction of new attractions to accompany its historical ones.”

https://yesterdaysamerica.com/how-ch...tination-city/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2023, 11:07 AM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
My definition of "destination" doesn't include business travel, family visits, etc., unless the city was part of the reason to visit.

More importantly, this thread is about places' attraction.

Old 08-15-2023, 01:56 PM

1,204 posts, read 793,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Idk about that. I live in Texas and I would not visit Austin for its core so I doubt people from other states and the world beyond are visiting for the core. It's an amenity that is a plus for residents but visiting for it though?

Of the major Texas cities the only one that separates itself in terms of attractions in the core is San Antonio. The Riverwalk is a unique experience and the Alamo is a few steps away and the street outside of it is very touristy with tourist traps like Ripley's and such. There are also historic spatterings, churches and Governor's palaces and such all over the core for those interested in that.

San Antonio has actually unique attractions.
San Antonio I would call somewhat a "regional" attraction - most people even in US probably won't specifically fly to San Antonio just to visit Riverwalk or Alamo. However, it can definitely draws, let say, weekend or day trippers from rest of state including DFW and Houston (Austin is so close that it's likely a quick day trip).

Otherwise, I agree that downtown SA probably has the most tourist attractions out of all the major Texas metro areas, including Austin. If only Galveston is not such a dump...

Austin does have events that draw visitors internationally (i.e. SXSW) but again, definitely not a major destination city. It definitely fits best within the "niche destination" group.

Old 08-15-2023, 04:07 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
Agreed, those are different things, but the reasons for people visiting doesn't detract from being a destination. There's some gatekeeping with the definition of 'destination' here, with very narrow views being imposed on the term. Visiting for family, work, conferences all count.

I also get the sense that some folks here just don't like Dallas, and perhaps think it's a cultural wasteland (e.g. comments about strip malls and freeways). Freakonomics did an interesting podcast on Dallas last year and how it's on a trajectory to eclipse Chicago as the 3rd largest US metro. There's more diversity and culture in Dallas than is often assumed. If someone can't find interesting things to see and do in a city of +7M people that's on them, not the city.
I think it does. There's always parameters around our topics. I definitely don't think a distinction between leisure and business/family travel is "very narrow" in any way.

Some people don't like Dallas, but that doesn't have much to do with it not being a top destination city. I visited last year for a wedding, but I'd never go to Dallas just to go to Dallas. But I did go to Austin just to go to Austin.

Old 08-15-2023, 04:21 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,242,132 times
NYC, LA, and Miami I think are the top 3 imo.

Old 08-15-2023, 05:03 PM

1,069 posts, read 787,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I think it does. There's always parameters around our topics. I definitely don't think a distinction between leisure and business/family travel is "very narrow" in any way.

Some people don't like Dallas, but that doesn't have much to do with it not being a top destination city. I visited last year for a wedding, but I'd never go to Dallas just to go to Dallas. But I did go to Austin just to go to Austin.
What makes a city a destination other than people visiting, regardless of reason. Saying 22M visitors don't count because it's not what some expect is narrow. You may not go to Dallas, but many others do.

Old 08-15-2023, 05:07 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
It's pretty clear...people wanting to visit the city for the city's sake.

There's nothing wrong with having your own definition. It's just not terribly relevant to the topic here.

A highway interchange with two truck stops, a gas station, and three motels will have a substantial visitor count. Not a destination.

Old 08-15-2023, 05:56 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
It's pretty clear...people wanting to visit the city for the city's sake.

There's nothing wrong with having your own definition. It's just not terribly relevant to the topic here.

A highway interchange with two truck stops, a gas station, and three motels will have a substantial visitor count. Not a destination.
As a top 5 convention city, as well as a place with excellent air service Business Travel is just too important to our economy to not count in Atlanta. It's the primary reason that there are nearly 100,000 hotel rooms in the Metro, not to mention countless bars and restaurants. The same would apply to many cities across the Country, including yours.

Old 08-15-2023, 06:01 PM

1,069 posts, read 787,201 times
The parameters of this discussion are a moving target.

Dallas gets lot of visitors. Ah, but business travel doesn't count. It has to been leisure travel.

People do travel to Dallas for leisure. Ah, but they are regional visitors, not from far away places. And there has to be attractions.

As discussed up thread, Dallas has lots of attractions. Museums, architecture, public art, amusement parks, pro sports, etc. Ah, but other cities have similar things. The attractions must be unique.

But they are unique. No city has the exact things Dallas has. Ah, not just unique, but iconic!

So we aren't really discussing destinations, but rather iconic tourist cities. I dunno, seems pretty narrow.

And this misses something important. Locals in tourist locales, understandably, roll their eyes at visitors that only see the typical sites. The Golden Gate Bridge, Pier 39, Alcatraz... while there's nothing wrong with visiting these, we also know this isn't the same as experiencing the city. This is because most cities are more than the sum of their parts. There's a local culture, history, a vibe that goes beyond the surface-level attractions. For example, check out the various neighborhoods in Dallas. Dallas has its own sense of place. Is this enough reason to visit? I guess that's a personal decision, and for many here on the thread the answer is no. But for me, I would have a blast visiting and exploring Dallas, no question.

Last edited by AnythingOutdoors; 08-15-2023 at 06:27 PM..

Old 08-15-2023, 06:06 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
This parameters of this discussion are a moving target.

Dallas gets lot of visitors. Ah, but business travel doesn't count. It has to been leisure travel.

People do travel to Dallas for leisure. Ah, but they are regional visitors, not from far away places. And there has to be attractions.

As discussed up thread, Dallas has lots of attractions. Museums, architecture, public art, amusement parks, pro sports, etc. Ah, but other cities have similar things. The attractions must be unique.

But they are unique. No city has the exact things Dallas has. Ah, not just unique, but iconic!

So we aren't really discussing destinations, but rather iconic tourist cities. I dunno, seems pretty narrow.

And this misses something important. Locals in tourist locales, understandably, roll their eyes at visitors that only see the typical sites. The Golden Gate Bridge, Pier 39, Alcatraz... while there's nothing wrong with visiting these, we also know this isn't the same as experiencing the city. This is because most cities are more than the sum of their parts. There's a local culture, history, a vibe that goes beyond the surface-level attractions. For example, check out the various neighborhoods in Dallas. Dallas has its own sense of place.
Touche!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City