Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2023, 02:09 PM

9,862 posts, read 6,579,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
At least Houston has Nasa. Dallas has the Gaylord across the state line? Not trying to be facetious, just trying to figure it out. Ft. Worth Stockyards?

JFK’s assassination sight was pretty big. I wouldn’t consider Dallas (not Houston) a major tourist draw though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2023, 02:15 PM

6 posts, read 11,281 times
Napa (and to a lesser extent Sonoma) would also qualify, imo.

Old 08-14-2023, 03:19 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Another poster had Dallas and not Houston on the list. What can one do in Dallas that you can't do in Houston? Plus Houston has NASA.

Actually, if you're in say Philly or Boston and you visit Dallas, what do you do?
go to a work conference

Old 08-14-2023, 03:22 PM

211 posts, read 119,665 times
Tiers

Tier 1
New York City
San Francisco
LA
Miami
Las Vegas
Chicago
New Orleans
DC
Boston
Honolulu

Tier 2
Orlando
Atlanta
Anchorage/Alaska
Seattle
Philly
Nashville
Austin
San Diego
Orlando

Tier 3
Baltimore
St Louis
Cleveland
Albuquerque
Memphis
Tampa/St Pete
Phoenix

Tier 4
Milwaukee
Twin Cities
Detroit

Tier 5
Sacramento
Charlotte
Jacksonville
Colombus
Cincinnati

Etc

Tier 1 offer world class attractions. They themselves might not be world class (New Orleans , Vegas) but when they offer for tourist novelty is especially for international people.

Tier 2 offers something impressive and uniquely American with perhaps a sprinkling of world class stuff.

Tier 3 is very American with some strong legacy amenities or serve as a gateway to an interesting region.

Tier 4 is a weaker version of the above. Some of these cities like the twin cities offer a lot but are a little too generic or far from must see stuff to make the cut or have suffered from decay

Tier 5
May be a nice place to live but too unremarkable overall

Old 08-14-2023, 03:39 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,396,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
So forget Cleveland and St. Louis, but definitely include Austin?

What on earth would a foreign tourist do in Austin? Hang out at the lake?
Austin does have two very large international events in SXSW and the USGP. Beyond that, you will get backpacker types and there are foreigners that will do Texas road trips (can't say that I would recommend this, but it is a thing for sure), and of course people will come to visit family; Greater Austin is 15% foreign born compared to 7% in St. Louis and 6% in Cleveland.

As an international destination it certainly would not be in the same tier as an Orlando type of place but I can see tier 3 I guess. Austin is much more of a domestic destination for long weekends, as Texas is too isolated to really make sense for a foreign traveler.

Old 08-14-2023, 04:03 PM

1,068 posts, read 785,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
It's possible to be entertained in any city, including Dallas.

But where are Dallas' tourist-heavy districts? I'm not aware of any. A pretty sizeable downtown definition (with Uptown and Deep Ellum) has a moderate number of hotel rooms (12,000) despite a huge convention business.

Pleasure tourism (outside family and friends) concentrates in relatively few cities.
Maybe lack of tourist-heavy districts is a feature not a bug

Quote:
What would you do with a 4 day vacation in Dallas that you can't do in Boise? Prosports yes, but a lot of cities have that.
Yes, Boise has a zoo, museums, and other things to do. But it's a difference in scale. My family could totally have a great time for 4 days in Dallas: Dallas World Aquarium, Dallas Museum of Art, pro sports, Perot Museum of Nature and Science. My youngest would love the Log Cabin Village. The kids would also love Hurricane Harbor water park. Yes, we have a great water park in Boise, but it's always fun to explore somewhere different. Obviously, the music and food scene is also different, which adds to the fun.

Don't get me wrong, we love visiting touristy metros. We did a trip this summer to NYC to see a Broadway show and take in the sights. That was all well in good, and it's something I want my kids to experience at least once. But truth be known, I'd rather go to cities like Dallas, SLC, etc. that aren't overrun with tourists and high prices. And we actively avoid the major resort destinations like Disney and Universal Studios... between price gouging and the lines, just not worth the hassle.

Old 08-14-2023, 04:20 PM

8,857 posts, read 6,856,075 times
I don't mean that tourist-heavy districts are the attraction, though some are. I mean that's one gauge for whether a lot of pleasure tourists visit the city.

As for Boise, the greenbelt and tubing the river are both world class.

Old 08-14-2023, 05:16 PM

12,824 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
Maybe lack of tourist-heavy districts is a feature not a bug

Yes, Boise has a zoo, museums, and other things to do. But it's a difference in scale. My family could totally have a great time for 4 days in Dallas: Dallas World Aquarium, Dallas Museum of Art, pro sports, Perot Museum of Nature and Science. My youngest would love the Log Cabin Village. The kids would also love Hurricane Harbor water park. Yes, we have a great water park in Boise, but it's always fun to explore somewhere different. Obviously, the music and food scene is also different, which adds to the fun.

Don't get me wrong, we love visiting touristy metros. We did a trip this summer to NYC to see a Broadway show and take in the sights. That was all well in good, and it's something I want my kids to experience at least once. But truth be known, I'd rather go to cities like Dallas, SLC, etc. that aren't overrun with tourists and high prices. And we actively avoid the major resort destinations like Disney and Universal Studios... between price gouging and the lines, just not worth the hassle.
Yea. Your paragraph describing Dallas? Feels like I can get similar experiences in most major cities.

Old 08-14-2023, 05:28 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,805,346 times
Quote:
Yea. Your paragraph describing Dallas? Feels like I can get similar experiences in most major cities.
That's not really fair though. Playing Devil's advocate, there are only a handful of cities that provide a truly unique experience.

The same standard being used for Dallas can be applied to just about any city.

Apart from a few cities Like NY, LA, Las Vegas, Disney world... most cities are interchangeable.

Old 08-14-2023, 06:48 PM

8,857 posts, read 6,856,075 times
Easily the majority of the top 15 cities or so are interesting enough for a normal person to visit from 2,000 miles away just to visit, if they like city tourism. Just not all of them.

Southern cities, including LA, make it hard to be a city tourist...the interesting stuff tends to be spread out and not easy to walk to for starters.

Of course if we're talking people from other continents the list gets smaller, though long-distance visitors tend to have more time so they can get beyond the obvious places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City