Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 07:12 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Those are humpsters.
dipsters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 09:16 AM

35 posts, read 78,284 times
What exactly is the "problem"? You begrudge them the stuff that you didn't want and literally discarded in the trash? They have practically nothing but, by God, it's YOUR trash and they can't have it? SMH

And don't give me a line about "identity theft" because 1) nobody's mentioned it til now, and 2) it's typically not homeless people stealing your info out of the trash.

You complainers just hate to be reminded that you have so much while others suffer. It's called guilt. Deal with it and leave these people, who are trying to SURVIVE, alone.

Last edited by peasantgirl; 02-02-2015 at 09:25 AM..

Old 02-02-2015, 09:26 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,705,221 times
In Brooklyn its mostly the older Asians looking for recycling cans, I don't think they are homeless.

We do have a lot of homeless people here, a lot of new ones that seem to be white people from the Midwest. I have no idea why the f they all haven't gone to Cali yet. Its winter here...

Old 02-02-2015, 10:00 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,393,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
San Francisco
Portland
Chicago
NYC
Boston
LA
I live relatively close to Boston and have been a truck delivery driver in Boston, driving behind buildings to the loading docks where dumpsters are located and have never seen homeless people crawling through dumpsters. I also see far less homeless people in Boston than I did in NYC, San Francisco, and pretty much every other city I've ever been to.

I drove in NYC as well and NYC by far has the most garbage pickers I've ever seen.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:19 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticDragonfly View Post
I've heard the term before (rarely), although the last time I've heard it, it was about lower-class children playing in or with dumpsters.
Very common practice in the Portland, OR neighborhood from which I recently just moved. My friends who owned a home there had to keep their recycling bin locked because the homeless people would try to search through it to collect bottles to return to the nearest grocery store for cash redemption.

The problem was, the homeless people didn't just try to collect the bottles, which my friends didn't discard there anyway although some neighbors did, but the vagrants would try to camp out in their yard and use it as a public toilet. It was a problem for everyone with a backyard and a dumpster.

I lived in an apartment building and that was a problem where the the tenants would go through the bins which were used to recycle empties and anything usable. Other dumpsters behind restaurants and stores in the area that sold anything worthwhile for the taking were consistently hit by dumpster divers. Dumpster diving is alive and well and it's in people's backyards as much as anyplace. I guess it all depends upon where you live.

I recall an anonymous author writing about his dumpster diving adventures in the local free newspaper and where the best neighborhoods for dumpster diving were. Usually it was the more upscale areas. This was no teenager either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City