Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Orlando 36 38.71%
Ft. Lauderdale 57 61.29%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2015, 09:31 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times

Advertisements

Which city do you think is better? Or which would you rather live in? Until recently, I was deciding between the two on which to move to.

They have a lot in common I think, and they are often compared on the Florida forums. Both are second tier cities, both have a major international airport, etc.

I say Orlando. It's the Florida city with the best future, and has already proven that it has more to offer than just Disney World. Downtown Orlando is amazing, with lots of things to do in a walkable area. And the nightlife in Downtown Orlando has become really strong in the recent years.

Many people don't realize what Orlando has to offer, it's not just Disney World and is really a hidden gem. Ft. Lauderdale was really good in the Spring Break days, but has calmed down a bit. But it does have the beach. Ft. Lauderdale is more expensive obviously.

It seems like Orlando is growing with new projects and developments popping up all the time where as other Florida cities aren't growing. I love Ft. Lauderdale, but I think it's reached it's potential. To its credit, it is miles better than Tampa! The two are definitely my favorite cities in Florida.

Thoughts?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 09:46 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
^I totally agree with everything you said. I like both, but much prefer Orlando.

I was there a couple of months ago for the first time in a while, and the changes were beyond impressive.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:18 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Orlando. It has a better downtown and surrounding neighborhoods. I'm sure the locals do take advantage of the touristy stuff by having season passes and visiting during off peak times so having all those amusement parks in your back yard would be pretty cool. Good location close to all of Florida, it's an easy drive to Tampa or the beach from Orlando. Orlando also has NBA and MLS.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:56 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
I have been to both multiple times and prefer Orlando. It's a much smaller metro area and is more manageable and cleaner looking. FTL is kind of a big boring congested grid. Orlando also has some very mild hills here and there. The climate is also less extreme than FTL, and MCO airport is great. It's also a plus that it's in a centralized location. Also, the Orland metro is the ONLY metro area in Florida with an above-average population of people aged 25-34, which is the age group that I fall into. The suburbs are very attractive (Winter Park, Maitland, Ocoee, Apopka, Wekiwa Springs, Dr. Philips, Windermere, Winter Garden, Lake Mary, Casselberry). Almost all of the crime is concentrated in the city of Orlando. Big deal.

Being along I-4 is a plus, too, despite concentrated traffic in the southwestern section of the metro.

Southeast Florida also has an extreme culture that I do not like. Orlando is a better ratio of diversity, in my opinion. I prefer being around people who speak English, because there's less of a communication barrier.

Both places have saturated job markets in my career field (corporate tax accounting), but the edge goes to FTL. Orlando rarely has job postings in my field, because there aren't enough corporate headquarters located there.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:28 AM

3 posts, read 9,173 times
Climate is less extreme than FTL? I'd say heat is more oppressive in Orlando in the summer than FTL which gets a breeze from the Atlantic.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:36 AM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I have been to both multiple times and prefer Orlando. It's a much smaller metro area and is more manageable and cleaner looking. FTL is kind of a big boring congested grid. Orlando also has some very mild hills here and there. The climate is also less extreme than FTL, and MCO airport is great. It's also a plus that it's in a centralized location. Also, the Orland metro is the ONLY metro area in Florida with an above-average population of people aged 25-34, which is the age group that I fall into. The suburbs are very attractive (Winter Park, Maitland, Ocoee, Apopka, Wekiwa Springs, Dr. Philips, Windermere, Winter Garden, Lake Mary, Casselberry). Almost all of the crime is concentrated in the city of Orlando. Big deal.

Being along I-4 is a plus, too, despite concentrated traffic in the southwestern section of the metro.

Southeast Florida also has an extreme culture that I do not like. Orlando is a better ratio of diversity, in my opinion. I prefer being around people who speak English, because there's less of a communication barrier.

Both places have saturated job markets in my career field (corporate tax accounting), but the edge goes to FTL. Orlando rarely has job postings in my field, because there aren't enough corporate headquarters located there.
Interesting insight, nep. Thanks. I did not know that Orlando's 25-34 demographics are the best in Florida, lots of people on City-Data like to say that Ft. Lauderdale is better for young people but I think that is based on old data. Much has changed in the past 3-5 years. I just turned 25, so good news for me!

Old 02-01-2015, 08:24 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times
Ft. Lauderdale...near the beach, closer to Miami, better weather, more international feel.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:38 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
Orlando

Old 02-02-2015, 10:17 AM

734 posts, read 920,162 times
Anything but south FL.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:10 PM

696 posts, read 1,169,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Ft. Lauderdale...near the beach, closer to Miami, better weather, more international feel.
Repped +1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City