Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 05:07 PM

6,723 posts, read 6,722,163 times

Advertisements

Go out enough in both, much prefer DC. LA has more going on total, but you can't bail on a crappy bar/party and head across town unless you want to spend $$ on Uber or drive drunk. In DC, you can get from Logan Circle to Eastern Market to Georgetown in about 10-15 mins at night. Can even walk if you're up for it. In LA, once you decide on West Hollywood, Santa Monica, or Downtown, that's where you'll be all night. Just because there's a great place on Sunset, doesn't mean you can get there without hitting freeway traffic or dealing with $40 parking. Been in this situation in many times, Sat night on the 405 isn't a great night out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 06:36 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,239,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Go out enough in both, much prefer DC. LA has more going on total, but you can't bail on a crappy bar/party and head across town unless you want to spend $$ on Uber or drive drunk. In DC, you can get from Logan Circle to Eastern Market to Georgetown in about 10-15 mins at night. Can even walk if you're up for it. In LA, once you decide on West Hollywood, Santa Monica, or Downtown, that's where you'll be all night. Just because there's a great place on Sunset, doesn't mean you can get there without hitting freeway traffic or dealing with $40 parking. Been in this situation in many times, Sat night on the 405 isn't a great night out.
Once you decide you're stuck? Absolutely false. I've been in DTLA, Koreatown and Hollywood all in the same night. The Sunset Strip, Hollywood and Beverly Hills in one night. It's really not that big of a deal. Santa Monica is the farthest but there is plenty to do there. I live in LA and lived in DC and LA is tops by a long shot. Plus outside of the main areas of LA there are thousands of spots to choose from. LA is simply on another level or two. And who's on the 405 at night for a night on the town?

Old 02-07-2015, 06:57 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
DC has terrible night life. LA easily.
DC actually has decent nightlife for a city of its size, LA is just way more huge with larger areas for nightlife. DC also has many inner ring suburbs with pockets of small nightlife also.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:02 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,487,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
You, sir or madame, just don't know how to party. I havent had that issue, and there is times where the good times start in downtown, but end up in Koreatown. Just a skip and a hop. Plus now with Uber, Lyft and our expandinh METRO, it is even less than an issue.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:47 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,959,227 times
This is LA, easily, but this is because it's a significantly larger city. If it was LA vs Chicago, that may be a valid argument. I mean really? DC has a nightlife and live music venues, but it's basically similar to cities it's size (ie Boston, Seattle the two cities which are closest in size). Funny thing is some things said were flat out false, there is stuff to do in DC. But it's a smaller city, only 660,000 people live here, what is LA, like 3.9 million give or take. It is not like there are not things to do around here after work and on weekends, but it's nightlife scene is appropriate to it's size. Some things are better than others, but overall it is not bad. I am not about to compare the nightlife in DC to Chicago, and likewise comparing DC to LA it is just as absurd. I love DC, I live here, but I know better not to compare apples to oranges.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,157 times
LA given Hollywood and it's a much bigger metro area with greater cultural diversity.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:44 PM

465 posts, read 657,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
DC has terrible night life. LA easily.
DC has an excellent nightlife if you happen to be AA. As a Black person I found LA's club scene to be sorely lacking...

Old 02-17-2015, 04:28 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcallday View Post
DC has an excellent nightlife if you happen to be AA. As a Black person I found LA's club scene to be sorely lacking...

Nightlife, Music, and Weather are three topics on here that I don't believe should be discussed in threads for the most part because they are very subjective. For music and nightlife, race and culture play such a huge factor in that. Places that lack certain races will not excel in that kind of nightlife. Weather also depends on what the person prefers. Cold, hot, all four seasons etc....

Old 02-17-2015, 05:43 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,977,985 times
LA has more of almost everything but for me personally and what I like its DC easily. If this had a poll I would vote for DC.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:20 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,413,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
LA has more of almost everything but for me personally and what I like its DC easily. If this had a poll I would vote for DC.
Strong logic as always.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City