Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta vs Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham, which region is more southern?
Atlanta 48 45.28%
Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham 58 54.72%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 09:25 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
If European immigrants settled in South Louisiana and numerous other places which lacked industrial development during that period, it's quite obvious that the reason they avoided Atlanta had nothing to do with it's lack of industrial development. You'd rather not talk about the past when Atlanta's racially segregated social climate at the present is shaped by the past.
LOL! You should really take this comedy show on the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 11:07 AM

562 posts, read 1,126,253 times
I think all three metros have had such a large influx of non-southerners over the last 30-50 years to the point where the true, Deep South culture, as you would find in Charleston, Savannah, Macon, or Montgomery just doesn't exist in most parts of Metro Atlanta, Metro Charlotte, or the Triangle.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:19 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS86 View Post
I think all three metros have had such a large influx of non-southerners over the last 30-50 years to the point where the true, Deep South culture, as you would find in Charleston, Savannah, Macon, or Montgomery just doesn't exist in most parts of Metro Atlanta, Metro Charlotte, or the Triangle.
Even Charleston's Deep South culture is being diluted with the constant influx of non-Southern transplants and thus it's a bit different than Macon and Montgomery which are pretty stagnant in terms of population growth.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:42 PM

53 posts, read 104,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS86 View Post
I agree with this statement. That true deep south culture is almost non-existant in these new south metros. You would have to go to Mississippi, and the coastal plain regions of these states if you want to find that true sterotypical southern character.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:53 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,685 times
The rural Piedmont and Western NC regions are pretty darn southern (or "country") but nothing too Deep South. You'd have to go east of Raleigh for that, although I wouldn't call Northeast NC (Elizabeth City) and the Outer Banks areas "Deep South" since those areas are more similar to Virginia and Maryland. However, the bulk of Eastern NC was all plantation lands later used for tobacco. Even the areas north of the Research Triangle and Triad along the Virginia border are pretty darn southern, the "tobacco belt."

You can't get more Deep South than Mississippi, even the Memphis suburbs are probably Deep South-ish. Alabama, South Carolina, and Georgia easily come in behind IMO.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:06 PM

880 posts, read 2,861,769 times
Go to places like Walton county and southern Fayette county Georgia in the outer suburbs of Atlanta and it feels very Deep South.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:26 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
If European immigrants settled in South Louisiana and numerous other places which lacked industrial development during that period, it's quite obvious that the reason they avoided Atlanta had nothing to do with it's lack of industrial development. You'd rather not talk about the past when Atlanta's racially segregated social climate at the present is shaped by the past.
So all the Irish folks that immigrated here back then (there were also a lot of Germans too) weren't from Europe? Nice to know.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:12 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
South Louisiana--primarily New Orleans--was pretty industrialized during the wave of European immigration in the late 19th/early 20th century when it was the largest city in the South and on par with some industrialized Northern metros at that time. Also, it was already a melting pot of various cultures due its location and status as a major port city. Very bad example.
I'm glad somebody seized on that statement.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:26 PM

824 posts, read 688,603 times
Neither, big cities in the south tend to be less southern. However, I think that the suburbs of Atlanta are more southern than those in NC.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:40 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sir View Post
Neither, big cities in the south tend to be less southern. However, I think that the suburbs of Atlanta are more southern than those in NC.
Maybe some of the outer suburbs in the metro, but I doubt counties like Cobb, Gwinnett, and DeKalb are too different. Only my opinion, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City