Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 06:35 AM

3,867 posts, read 5,291,536 times

Advertisements

1) Boston-Cambridge
2) SF Bay Area
3) NY/NJ
4) San Diego
5) DC/Maryland Metro
6) Greater Philadelphia
7) Seattle
8) Raleigh-Durham-Research Triangle
9) Los Angeles
10) Chicagoland

GEN | Insight & Intelligenceā„¢:Top 10 U.S. Biopharma Clusters

Just for comparison, here was 2014's list:

1) SF Bay Area
2) Boston-Cambridge
3) San Diego
4) DC/Maryland Metro
5) NY/NJ
6) Seattle
7) Philadelphia
8) Raleigh-Durham-Research Triangle
9) Los Angeles
10) Chicagoland

GEN | Insight & Intelligenceā„¢: Top 10 U.S. Biopharma Clusters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 08:24 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,463,319 times
Very cool! I figured the Bay & Boston would be sparring at the top, but I'm a bit surprised by the low rankings of Philadelphia and especially the Research Triangle.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:32 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,229,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Very cool! I figured the Bay & Boston would be sparring at the top, but I'm a bit surprised by the low rankings of Philadelphia and especially the Research Triangle.

That what I was gonna say.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:54 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,601,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Based on the methodology, it looks like the level the venture capital and patenting is the relative weakness in the Research Triangle and Philly markets, respectively, although I know that building a more robust "commercialization pipeline" is one of the things that several institutions are working on in the Philly region.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:02 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Based on the methodology, I would imagine that the level the venture capital is the relative weakness in Philly in the Research Triangle--California, Boston and NYC (and to a lesser extent, DC) are seemingly "untouchable" in terms of the availability of VC generally.
there have been improvements. Novartis just recently heavily in a JV with CHOP and Penn but not at the levels of CA, Cambridge etc.

There is also quite a bit of innovative device spending in the Philly area not captured in this metric yet still very pioneering

the flip side is HUP and CHOP are actually some of the most advanced and pioneering research medically in the world and most is funded directly through their own coffers so does not show as VC funded - some is NIH

Overall and based on my experience in terms of advanced medical research I would say the complexes of Boston and Philly are probably the two most concentrated and advanced in the world - potentially the two best hospital cities in the US or world for that matter

Specific to biopharma research this list is likely accurate to reflect that specific aspect - in terms of US healthcare biologics represent about 9-11% of revenues today so sizable but not the most significant. I believe it is currently ~40% of research investment in aggregate for the broader healthcare space

Old 03-13-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Based on the methodology, it looks like the level the venture capital and patenting is the relative weakness in the Research Triangle and Philly markets, respectively, although I know that building a more robust "commercialization pipeline" is one of the things that several institutions are working on in the Philly region.
That would make sense. The Bay & Boston seem to be much higher when it comes to things like research, which explains their massive lab spaces (roughly 20 & 21 million for the Bay & Boston, respectively).

Old 03-13-2015, 12:13 PM

3,867 posts, read 5,291,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
there have been improvements. Novartis just recently heavily in a JV with CHOP and Penn but not at the levels of CA, Cambridge etc.

There is also quite a bit of innovative device spending in the Philly area not captured in this metric yet still very pioneering

the flip side is HUP and CHOP are actually some of the most advanced and pioneering research medically in the world and most is funded directly through their own coffers so does not show as VC funded - some is NIH

Overall and based on my experience in terms of advanced medical research I would say the complexes of Boston and Philly are probably the two most concentrated and advanced in the world - potentially the two best hospital cities in the US or world for that matter

Specific to biopharma research this list is likely accurate to reflect that specific aspect - in terms of US healthcare biologics represent about 9-11% of revenues today so sizable but not the most significant. I believe it is currently ~40% of research investment in aggregate for the broader healthcare space
Agreed on your points regarding Philly and Boston, definitely two of the most impressive hospital cities on the planet.

As far as CHOP is concerned, I think they are relatively aggressive on the NIH front. CHOP secured 197 awards ($116,395,517) compared to Children's Hospital of Boston with 305 awards ($126,953,196). Of course they are both teaching hospitals, so there are further awards secured by HMS/HSPH and Penn Medicine that could have been affiliated with CHOP and CHOB.

So CHOP's research budget is quite impressive.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:51 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
NYC area will probably solidify their #3 spot in the coming years, since they are huge expansions currently in the works (both on healthcare and research side). There is also a new 1.5 million sq ft research hospital complex being constructed in Manhattan, that should open in 2018.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:48 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,601,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
NYC area will probably solidify their #3 spot in the coming years, since they are huge expansions currently in the works (both on healthcare and research side). There is also a new 1.5 million sq ft research hospital complex being constructed in Manhattan, that should open in 2018.
I think it's fair to say that there's heavy expansion in several of these cities currently, so I don't know if there would be a significant edge in that regard.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
I think it's fair to say that there's heavy expansion in several of these cities currently, so I don't know if there would be a significant edge in that regard.
Yea, the Boston area is expanding greatly at the moment. Several million square feet of lab space are under construction in East Cambridge/Kendall Square alone. There are several projects underway in Longwood Medical Area too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City