Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 09:38 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,876,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I will say as a Black person who grew up in the city but spent a few years in the suburbs-I can’t do the suburbs unless it’s basically the an old/urban suburb. Otherwise it feels hella weird. And it makes me bored way too fast.
Personally, I don’t think it has to be an either/or thing, as there are city and suburban neighborhoods that offer single family homes and walkability. This has been illustrated in a few other threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2022, 02:45 PM

313 posts, read 159,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
And also Boston for Cap verdian.
But honestly, I do not really like the idea of relocating only where there are lot of black people... I mean, cities like SF, sure no tlot of black but this city is very educated and is looking into the future (tech jobs) and if more black comes in, recognition will come along.
San Francisco don't necessarily hired alot of blacks who
Are qualify and educated they have a small percentage of blacks according too alot of source's and on Buisness
And Career magazines where you can find online
Austin Seattle Phoenix and Places like Charlotte has more of advanced black population and growth

Old 04-21-2022, 09:45 PM

48 posts, read 24,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
The answer to all three questions without a doubt is Atlanta, DC, and New York City. They have the largest populations of peoples of Africans descent (except for DC which is just a hair smaller than Chicago, for now) and the greatest access to all of the cultural/economic/social offerings anyone that is African, African-Ameriacn, Afro-Caribbean, or Afro-Latin could want. While other cities do indeed offer such things, no other city beats those three.

On your point about continental African culture, I disagree. While Houston does have a large Nigerian community, and Boston a large Cape Verdean community, they smaller than the overall African communities in Atlanta, DC, and New York. Just in raw population numbers, it's pretty clear where you would find more culture:

(Keep in mind these are native-born numbes and doesn't include their children born as Americans)
New York-Northern New Jersey- Long Island 211,735
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria 160,820
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta 67,770
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana 67,505
Minneapolis-St Paul-Bloomington 63,885
Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington 60,905
Boston-Cambridge-Quincy 59,985
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown 50,380
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington 47,580
Chicago-Joliet-Naperville 42,510

With a larger population comes a more dynamic culture experience. When you pair that with the over all large African-{insert origin here} populations those three cities have, it's a no brainer.

Minneapolis is an interesting one. While they do have a very large African population, I've also heard of Africans having great difficultly there integrating with the surrounding culture. Though I will admit I have no personal experience with that town.

On Afro-Caribbean and Afro-Latin, it would be NYC and Miami however Atlanta and DC (surprise surprise) are no slouch in that category either.
what he said about houston and boston, i mean its a hot spot for both nigerians and cape verdians seperately and respectively so i agree with what hes talking about

about the minneapolis one its true cuz theres alot of white ppl but it aint bad as places like st cloud cuz thats where most of the somalis reside and theres more racist people once u leave out the twin cities

Old 04-21-2022, 09:47 PM

atl nyc miami htown dfw

Old 04-21-2022, 10:26 PM

1,348 posts, read 879,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodakb View Post
what he said about houston and boston, i mean its a hot spot for both nigerians and cape verdians seperately and respectively so i agree with what hes talking about

about the minneapolis one its true cuz theres alot of white ppl but it aint bad as places like st cloud cuz thats where most of the somalis reside and theres more racist people once u leave out the twin cities
It's primarily the Somali population who has troubles. The Liberian and Ethiopians don't have as much issues.

Old 04-21-2022, 10:30 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

(Keep in mind these are native-born numbes and doesn't include their children born as Americans)
New York-Northern New Jersey- Long Island 211,735
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria 160,820
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta 67,770
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana 67,505
Minneapolis-St Paul-Bloomington 63,885
Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington 60,905
Boston-Cambridge-Quincy 59,985
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown 50,380
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington 47,580
Chicago-Joliet-Naperville 42,510
What a difference a few years make.

Numbers from As Above So Below:

New York City: 254,759
Washington DC: 235,979
Dallas/Fort Worth: 134,605
Atlanta: 132,761
Houston: 120,715
Minneapolis/St. Paul: 120,101
Boston: 87,605
Baltimore: 84,231
Philadelphia: 84,169
Chicago: 74,813

Old 04-22-2022, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
It's primarily the Somali population who has troubles. The Liberian and Ethiopians don't have as much issues.
most def

Old 04-25-2022, 07:17 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Yea I’m reaffirmed Boston is underrated. I was just up there this weekend. It was litter than I remember. i went with my gf from Jersey City and she was ready to move. not better than the top tier of course but still, unjustly maligned. Some **great** events and vibes the whole time I was there didn’t realize how much I missed it. I got some great video as well. The new mayor has also really really opened up the city and provided a very different feel in just 6 months in office- the difference is, wow. Some of the new venues, restaurants etc etc. and the urbanity! Can only be matched by Philly NYC SF CHI.

Also reaffirmed how little people black ethnic background matters. I remembered exactly how much ethnic cultures are very heavily in a African American melting pot. At no point was I like aware of that apart from going to a dinner party in Randolph.

Cape Verdean culture is mostly important to those who are first generation. I’ve never honestly viewed them as Africans their dress/style/speech pattern is more aligned with African Americans than any African by far. Some slight differences in appearance between them in Dominicans- mainly they’re hairier, looser fitting clothes, less manicured (not getting eyebrows done etc), a little more ‘orange’ in complexion. They’ve been in the US for 200 years and often assimilate into the more established CV/AA blend. They certainly aren’t similar to Nigerians like that.

Old 04-25-2022, 09:00 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
. Some **great** events and vibes the whole time I was there didn’t realize how much I missed it. I got some great video as well.
My friend from Jackson MS took this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV_BvO3zM04

The Boston Globe also brought back the Emancipator: https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/the-emancipator/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Em...tor_(newspaper)

The Emancipator (1833–1850) of New York City (later Boston) was an American abolitionist newspaper. It was the official newspaper of the American Anti-Slavery Society (AAS). From 1840 to 1850 it was published by the Liberty Party and changed names several times as it merged with other abolitionist newspapers in Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City