Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2017, 09:38 PM

5,822 posts, read 5,627,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I agree. Perhaps he should replace DC with Boston. While there is a large African population in the DC metropolitan area. It’s still heavily Black American.
Lolololol...

Y'all know my guy Mutiny is a professor and extremely literal. The other poster said "triumvirate" but listed four cities...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 11:34 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i am west-indian and i get bored with the atlanta, washington, d.c., n.y.c. triumvirate.
for me:
miami, montréal, boston.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Lolololol...

Y'all know my guy Mutiny is a professor and extremely literal. The other poster said "triumvirate" but listed four cities...
confused; atlanta, washington, d.c., n.y.c. are 3 cities ?

Old 12-04-2017, 06:33 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Lolololol...

Hey, words mean things.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:29 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i am west-indian and i get bored with the atlanta, washington, d.c., n.y.c triumvirate.
for me:
miami, montréal, boston.
Miami I definitely get, but help me understand why you would prefer Montreal and Boston over NYC.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:33 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,613,441 times
I'll take wild guess:

DC
Charlotte
Atlanta
Houston
Dallas

Old 12-04-2017, 02:46 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Miami I definitely get, but help me understand why you would prefer Montreal and Boston over NYC.
because i've lived there before and theres a high amount of haitian-americans there.

i dont hate n.y.c.; in fact i love n.y.c. i am the creator of those i (heart) n.y.c. t-shirts. except my original design was (eyeball) (heart) n.y.c. but they said it was too much body imagery so they stole the design and took all the credit.
i know theres a large haitian community in north new jersey and its chill...

Old 01-11-2022, 06:29 PM

313 posts, read 160,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah I don't agree with that part as well for the reasons you stated. Blacks in Houston have a much longer history than Latinos do. Prior to 1970, Houston was pretty much a Black and White city.
True San Antonio been more of a Traditional Mexican population Influence

Old 01-11-2022, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Okay. But when will Black people stop being African-Americans and simply become Americans? When will they stop attending segregated colleges like Howard and Spelman (which is close-minded and racist), start attending Methodist and Presbyterian churches en masse, and start listening to more metal and less R&B? Why can't they simply adopt American culture as their own?
Why should any body listen too metal music which not there criteria people listen what they want too listen.
Plus we didn't start segregation that the White government and some of white racist followers voted for that you need too reread history not just European history we all Americans but you know we all different Ethnic group and we all like different things and grew up different why not respect others differences

Old 01-11-2022, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Are you black?I dont mean this as insult.I ask because most black people including my relatives that live in cities like Philly or Cleveland will tell you that its about opportunity and acceptance.Philly and Cleveland are old money cites.Black people are limited to high level government positions but you dont see them at charity fundraiser at the symphony or Opera unlike Atlanta,
You can always get an idea about how a city is for black people based on the history of the local police department.
High incidents of police brutality or profiling.
Another way is look at whose running the city.I dont mean whos the mayor,I mean how deep is the involvement of blacks in all levels of goernment and the business community,

My statement was never about not being abe to own your blackness anywhere,It was in response to those who wish to criticize those who do choose to live in a city like Atlanta as if they wish to not assimilate.
the point is you have several AA neighborhoods of all classes to choose from along with diverse neighborhoods and blacks run the gammit across Atlanta.

You can look in even the high society pages and see black and white old rich people in tuxedos in Atlanta smooxing together,

I dont hang around all black people.Never have BUT I like being able to have access to it when I want it and like I said its important to me to show other ethnic Atlanta that we are more than what they see on T.V.
You can live any kind of life you want to as a black person and nobody will blink an eye.
Well put Exactly that how I feel here in Houston good
Spill

Old 01-11-2022, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I've always been an American. I was an American 30 years ago. I attend a White non-denominational church in the suburbs. I went back to being an American, after being an African American and attending Wilberforce University, which was like 99% Black.

However, that other 1% was White and Asian. So where are you in that equation? Why is it that we have to assimilate into your culture? I was born here, so I am not an American, because I'm Black? My culture is not American culture? I listen to metal, I listen to classical, I actually prefer alternative and grunge, really don't see what the big deal about metal is. You might catch me listening to that pretentious eighties commercial rock metal people hate. I also like hardcore, and punk, which I prefer to metal. Really don't see what the fuss about metal is all about.

But I also listen to R&B, and hip-hop, and Gospel, and funk, and soul, and on occasion jazz although these days you'll probably catch me listening to CCM and Christian Hip-Hop before anything else. But this is the thing, we can listen to all of the music that Whites listen to, attend their churches, work next to them, which I also do, attend their schools, which I did in elementary and high-school when I was the only Black there, dress like White people, become Republican, of which I am leaning towards a more conservative mindset because I don't like a lot of what is going on and the group-think of liberals these days, and you still perceive us in the same way. It doesn't change anything. I do these things, because it's what I am and how I was raised; nothing to do with Whites because I will never be accepted.

The difference between my generation, and millennial "New Blacks" that do what you are proposing, is that they actually think that they are a part of something. They make a lot more money than my generation and they own more and are more influential than my generation was. But they still aren't calling the shots. You still wouldn't have anything to do with them; I hope that I'm wrong, I just find it ironic that Blacks are still encouraged to assimilate when no other ethnic culture in America does, but yet our culture is not American because of those African and Caribbean influences yet it does not matter if immigrant culture is American or not.

I'm not even sure if assimilation is working for Black people in other societies. The British say they're not racist, regardless of whether we're talking about Australia or the U.K., but you don't see Blacks represented in the way that they are in the US, for good or bad. Is that what you want, for us to blend in and become invisible like Blacks are in other countries?
Pretty much also we don't need no others approval. When your getting a Buisness loan or any important information they ask you your age your gender and your race that the facts be proud who you are and **** those who disapprove. Bottom line
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City