Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 11:00 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
Why do people keep bringing up the metro?
Exactly.

And why do people continue to spew such ridiculous and ignorant crap after all of these years? Just unreal...

Old 04-04-2015, 01:02 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
Vine city/English avenue aka the bluff in ATL, not far west of downtown ATL, is straight up country, everything about it. The shotgun houses, tall weeds and grass, the way bamas dress. This applies to most of metro ATL too.
There's nothing country about Vine City/The Bluff. Weeds growing out of the ground and shotgun homes are not synonymous with rural areas.. The residents of Vine City dress like any other group of urban dwellers. I don't see what makes them Bamas. Southners? Yes. Bamas? Naw. You must not have been to any truly rural areas of the South.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:51 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,431,627 times
IMO even though both cities have well developed downtowns, unfortunately they are both extremely car-centric which heavily detracts from the urban factor. Unfortunately this applies to many of the major cites in the South.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:58 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
They are definitely urbanizing in their cores more than people seem to realize.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:35 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
Vine city/English avenue aka the bluff in ATL, not far west of downtown ATL, is straight up country, everything about it. The shotgun houses, tall weeds and grass, the way bamas dress. This applies to most of metro ATL too.
That area like many other areas of ATL was actually pretty densely built up at one point. But much of it was poor shoddily built housing which was knocked down and replaced with project housing as early as the 1930s. (Atlanta at one time had the largest collection of public project housing in America and had Americas' earliest built projects at Techwood homes.)

When the projects became havens of crime and perpetual poverty the city decided to knock them down and most of them have all been razed today. Unfortunately many have not been replaced with much leaving large swaths of uninhabited or under developed land in areas that are still too poor and dangerous to attract many developers.

This situation has been quickly changing in many parts of town due to gentrification but less so in Vine City and the West Side.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:16 PM

63 posts, read 83,447 times
I'm sorry,I don't care what anyone says,I've never seen a city with the population of Atlanta that was so rural and sparsely populated so close to downtown!! It seems as though Atlanta was,or is,so focused on developing a skyline they said to hell with the neighborhoods! What good is a nice skyline when the neighborhoods so close to it suck! I've heard so much about Atlanta over the last couple or so decades about how nice and top notch it is...but it's a big let down for me.Now areas like Buckhead are indeed impressive...why not put that same effort and energy in more of Atlantas neighborhoods. One would think after 4 decades of new development it would be much further along than it is;but there are basic things lacking like so many streets without sidewalks! I couldn't believe it...that was a culture shock! I can understand no sidewalks in exurbs 25 or 30 miles from downtown...but not in the inner city! How many counties does Atlanta include to get 6 million people? It's gotta be a heck of a lot 'cause you sure can't see any density there.I understand why some people say it's country.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:32 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butchie Boy View Post
I'm sorry,I don't care what anyone says,I've never seen a city with the population of Atlanta that was so rural and sparsely populated so close to downtown!! It seems as though Atlanta was,or is,so focused on developing a skyline they said to hell with the neighborhoods! What good is a nice skyline when the neighborhoods so close to it suck! I've heard so much about Atlanta over the last couple or so decades about how nice and top notch it is...but it's a big let down for me.Now areas like Buckhead are indeed impressive...why not put that same effort and energy in more of Atlantas neighborhoods. One would think after 4 decades of new development it would be much further along than it is;but there are basic things lacking like so many streets without sidewalks! I couldn't believe it...that was a culture shock! I can understand no sidewalks in exurbs 25 or 30 miles from downtown...but not in the inner city! How many counties does Atlanta include to get 6 million people? It's gotta be a heck of a lot 'cause you sure can't see any density there.I understand why some people say it's country.
Don't care what anybody say that seems irrational don't you think?

But the last page is pretty already a responds to this.

Also there so many things in this post that isn't true. how about this you name the neighborhoods. I post pics and tell you about them. Cause I would like to know what neighborhood.

Also Georgia has the smallest average county size in the country.

Atlanta has over 3.5 mil less than 1,800 sq mi anyways So it doesn't matter how counties is the full metro.

Last edited by chiatldal; 04-05-2015 at 05:48 AM..

Old 04-05-2015, 06:12 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butchie Boy View Post
The neighborhoods you're referring to are mostly on the west side (some to the south, but they've seen more investment over the past few years) which are the 'hood and it's interesting that you, as a visitor, actually traversed through those parts as most don't. But apparently those--and Buckhead--were the only surrounding neighborhoods you saw; you obviously didn't see Inman Park, Grant Park, Old Fourth Ward, Castleberry Hill, Midtown, West Midtown, Virginia-Highland, Little Five Points, East Atlanta Village, etc.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Share some of the projects when you get the time. I like seeing this stuff.

I have already seen the Houston, Dallas, Miami urban revitalization projects. So am familiar with the course and trajectory those cities are on, with those three being the "peer" cities Atlanta is most often grouped with. Curious to see some from Atlanta too.
This thread is a little old so many of the proposed projects are now under construction and under construction projects are now done .
http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...proposals.html

Porsche HQ Strengthens Aerodrome on south side.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...n-atlanta.html

journals.com/atlanta/print-edition/2015/02/06/new-developments-feed-off-each-other-in-midtown.html

With NCR 3500 more workers in Midtown and Ga Tech Center becoming more and more the anchor of a mini urban Silicon Valley.
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/p...o-midtown.html

This just in. Major!

http://atlanta.curbed.com/archives/2...es-gm-site.php

Last edited by Galounger; 04-05-2015 at 08:42 AM..

Old 04-05-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Share some of the projects when you get the time. I like seeing this stuff.

I have already seen the Houston, Dallas, Miami urban revitalization projects. So am familiar with the course and trajectory those cities are on, with those three being the "peer" cities Atlanta is most often grouped with. Curious to see some from Atlanta too.
New developments feed off each other in Midtown - Atlanta Business Chronicle

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/p....html?page=all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City