Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 03:23 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,098,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
I personally prefer Houston hip over Atlanta's. Its more laid back. A lot of rappers everywhere are sippin syrup like Houston was in the 90s. It a shame ppl are sleeping on the music Dj screw made before he died r.i .p. Also the geto boys from Houston was the first successful mainstream rap group in the south in the late 80s. Houston paved the way for other cities in the south. Drake was also discovered in Houston before lil Wayne and Birdman signed him. Till this day birdman owes money to j prince for having Drake. J prince was originally going to sign him. Hence why drake has the Houston astros H tattooed on his shoulder.
Yeah, even though I'm from GA, I liked old Houston rap better too, for the reason you said. I like that laid back feel, just cruising the highway music. I'm big into underground stuff, and unfortunately many new Texas rappers (as well as ones all over the country) are mimicking the annoying flows of Atlanta rappers like Migos, Future, etc. I remember when regions and even certain cities and states within a region had their own sound. They have these songs out now "Trap Queen" (artist from New Jersey), "In Love With the Coco" (African guy in Los Angeles), "Flicka The Wrist" (artist from Houston) and they all sound like "Atlanta" songs.

LE$ is an underground artist that still sounds like old, laidback Houston music. Funky, Jazzy, Blues influenced beats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 09:13 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,035,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
Yeah, even though I'm from GA, I liked old Houston rap better too, for the reason you said. I like that laid back feel, just cruising the highway music. I'm big into underground stuff, and unfortunately many new Texas rappers (as well as ones all over the country) are mimicking the annoying flows of Atlanta rappers like Migos, Future, etc. I remember when regions and even certain cities and states within a region had their own sound. They have these songs out now "Trap Queen" (artist from New Jersey), "In Love With the Coco" (African guy in Los Angeles), "Flicka The Wrist" (artist from Houston) and they all sound like "Atlanta" songs.

LE$ is an underground artist that still sounds like old, laidback Houston music. Funky, Jazzy, Blues influenced beats.
I don't even listen to newer Houston rap. I listen to Dj screw and scarface etc. The music nowadays everywhere does not have a message like the old stuff. I'm old school. I like old school atl rap better As well.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:48 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,852,499 times
How did this turn into a rap thread?

Old 04-18-2015, 03:54 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Cant speak for Atlanta but Houston's most hipster neighborhood is probably Montrose and a few sections of the Heights. That is it.

The Inner Loop of Houston is a yuppy as eff place though, so young professionals are much more of the scene there than hipsters. So if you're looking for the more hipster of the two, probably go with Atlanta because I cant imagine a big city less hipster than Houston.

The Museum District, Midtown, the Heights, West University, Southside Place, Binz, EaDo, Upper Kirby, so on remind me of Washington, D.C. in a way in that people socialize and inquire about what you do in the industry or what your role is. Whether you are in PRA, Geology, Chemical Dilution, Energy Law, Energy Finance, whatever, just swap the government with energy industry and it is a similar sort of environment inside of Inner Loop. While people in Inner Loop haven't reached the invasive depths of a Washington, D.C. yet where the topic of starting salaries and income become recurrent among those you socialize with, what you make and how you present yourself is pretty important inside the Loop. It pretty much defines your image and the neighborhoods like Museum District or Upper Kirby and such aren't cheap either, like the Houston outside the loop. So yes, it can be a cutthroat sort of place if you're relevant in the energy industry and compete with other talented people in the field.

If you want hipster, then 160 miles west of Houston is Austin. That is probably more of your scene, if hipster is what you want out of an experience.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 04-18-2015 at 05:08 PM..

Old 04-18-2015, 06:28 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post

I assumed those were "Atlanta" songs.LOL

I think the O.P was talking about something other than Hip Hop when they said "Hipster" though.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:25 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
I personally prefer Houston hip over Atlanta's. Its more laid back. A lot of rappers everywhere are sippin syrup like Houston was in the 90s. It a shame ppl are sleeping on the music Dj screw made before he died r.i .p. Also the geto boys from Houston was the first successful mainstream rap group in the south in the late 80s. Houston paved the way for other cities in the south. Drake was also discovered in Houston before lil Wayne and Birdman signed him. Till this day birdman owes money to j prince for having Drake. J prince was originally going to sign him. Hence why drake has the Houston astros H tattooed on his shoulder.
Atlanta and Houston's hip hop scenes are polar opposites. Atlanta is the sold out radio friendly variety of hip hop and Houston is anchored by the underground sound of DJ Screw and Swishahouse which is downright terrible (I do like Paul Wall and the Geto Boys though).

Give me New Orleans and Memphis' hip hop scene any day of the week over Atlanta and Houston.

To answer the thread question, I find Atlanta more trendy and hipster than Houston. But it's not as if either is Minneapolis or Portland.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:35 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Houston's underground scene is more than just DJ Screw though. It is also South Park Coalition which is more on raw beats and lyricism. They were the firsts of Houston. But the DJ screw and relaxing chilled beats are the staple of Houston. I personally dislike screw music and swishahouse too. Some of it is good but I don't look out for it.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:02 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,035,558 times
South park coalition at one point in the 90s had 70 rapper members strong in south Houston. Point blank from that group was very underrated.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:50 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,207,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Cant speak for Atlanta but Houston's most hipster neighborhood is probably Montrose and a few sections of the Heights. That is it.

The Inner Loop of Houston is a yuppy as eff place though, so young professionals are much more of the scene there than hipsters. So if you're looking for the more hipster of the two, probably go with Atlanta because I cant imagine a big city less hipster than Houston.

The Museum District, Midtown, the Heights, West University, Southside Place, Binz, EaDo, Upper Kirby, so on remind me of Washington, D.C. in a way in that people socialize and inquire about what you do in the industry or what your role is. Whether you are in PRA, Geology, Chemical Dilution, Energy Law, Energy Finance, whatever, just swap the government with energy industry and it is a similar sort of environment inside of Inner Loop. While people in Inner Loop haven't reached the invasive depths of a Washington, D.C. yet where the topic of starting salaries and income become recurrent among those you socialize with, what you make and how you present yourself is pretty important inside the Loop. It pretty much defines your image and the neighborhoods like Museum District or Upper Kirby and such aren't cheap either, like the Houston outside the loop. So yes, it can be a cutthroat sort of place if you're relevant in the energy industry and compete with other talented people in the field.

If you want hipster, then 160 miles west of Houston is Austin. That is probably more of your scene, if hipster is what you want out of an experience.
Hey Red, with all due respect, everybody does not constantly talk about Gov't work while they're out and about in DC. I don't know why people constantly believe this stigma. Maybe if you're patronizing the nightlife in K Street, Penn Quarter, and Capitol Hill that might occur sometimes but other than that, almost never hear it. You sure as hell won't hear none of that while enjoying nightlife in Adams Morgan, Shaw, and U Street, those three neighborhoods are too wild to even be thinking about work, be it Gov't-related or not.

Not related to the thread topic I know, but I just felt the need to address this.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:17 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Hey Red, with all due respect, everybody does not constantly talk about Gov't work while they're out and about in DC. I don't know why people constantly believe this stigma. Maybe if you're patronizing the nightlife in K Street, Penn Quarter, and Capitol Hill that might occur sometimes but other than that, almost never hear it. You sure as hell won't hear none of that while enjoying nightlife in Adams Morgan, Shaw, and U Street, those three neighborhoods are too wild to even be thinking about work, be it Gov't-related or not.

Not related to the thread topic I know, but I just felt the need to address this.
Sorry tcave360, but my experiences over the years mimic what he said exactly.

I have NEVER been to a place with people so absolutely obsessed with work, promotions and 'switching Agencies' to get ahead. It's pervasive, boring and off-putting to many and seems to dominate life there.

I love visiting D.C., but this is the main reason I could never live there. It's too one-dimensional to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City